Taste Of Love holds the highest debut by a Korean Female act on Metacritic!

• Congrats to Twice

:cutes::cutes:

Side question though, like which albums are reviewed and which albums aren’t? Like not all KPOP albums are reviewed right? How are the albums that are being reviewed chosen? Like why is this a ‘debut’?

Metacritic is a website that gathers reviews of media (films, music, video games, etc) and averages them together to get a sort of compilation score. An album must have at least 4 reviews by "reputed critic sites" to have Metacritic publish their score for it. Twice had 4 reviews for Taste of Love that were squished together (using some sort of weighted average formula) into the Metacritic score of 80. The four that Taste of Love got were from Pitchfork, NME, Beats Per Minute, and All Music.

So you're correct that not all Kpop albums are reviewed, or at least not all albums have enough "critically acclaimed" reviews to have Metacritic aggregate those scores. This is considered a debut because Twice had never had enough of those reviews to appear on Metacritic before, and thus this is the first time.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• How Metacritics rating works? How it's calculated?

Taste of Love is amazing summer album :lover1: Scandal and Conversation are my favorite songs

I don't know for sure but from what I've heard, you need at least 4 critic reviews to debut on Metacritic. I don't know how their rating works.

Congrats to Twice

:cutes::cutes:

Side question though, like which albums are reviewed and which albums aren’t? Like not all KPOP albums are reviewed right? How are the albums that are being reviewed chosen? Like why is this a ‘debut’?

I think critics themselves choose what albums to review? I don't know. And yes, not all kpop albums are reviewed. I don't remember any TWICE album being reviewed before EWO.

It's a debut because it's its first appearance on Metacritic. Like, the score may go down if other critics give it a negative review, I think.

loml

• The other gg albums that have more reviews than just 4.

KTL and Girls Aloud have the same number of reviews as TOL (4). TA has 8 and Reflection has 6. I don't consider this to be a reach as TWICE broke a Western GG record with the same number of reviews. And, it's not like the difference is huge. It's barely of 4 reviews with TA and 2 with Reflection. In the end, TOL remains the highest rated GG album on Metacritic.

loml

• KTL and Girls Aloud have the same number of reviews as TOL (4). TA has 8 and Reflection has 6. I don't consider this to be a reach as TWICE broke a Western GG record with the same number of reviews. And, it's not like the difference is huge. It's barely of 4 reviews with TA and 2 with Reflection. In the end, TOL remains the highest rated GG album on Metacritic.

Though I don’t wish this for twice 2 average reviews can change the score drastically. And I never said all the tweets, just that some were reaching just as you posted.

And it’s a fact that an album that has a score of 75 with 20 reviews has more weight than an album with a score of 80 with only 10 reviews. Please take that into consideration.

Based on this Twice is the first girl group to debut with such a big score. That’s a big record and a huge achievement. But trying to call it the highest rated GG album on metacritic leaving things out of context like it being based on 4 reviews is reaching.

I respectfully find such selective records kinda desperate

• And it’s a fact that an album that has a score of 75 with 20 reviews has more weight than an album with a score of 80 with only 10 reviews. Please take that into consideration.

Based on this Twice is the first girl group to debut with such a big score. That’s a big record and a huge achievement. But trying to call it the highest rated GG album on metacritic leaving things out of context like it being based on 4 reviews is reaching.

I'm assuming you're using those figures as examples as none of the GG albums mentioned here have more than 8 reviews. And, TA also debuted with 4 reviews with the same rating (71). I don't get what you're trying to prove. TA having 4 more reviews didn't help it's rating at all. It doesn't matter how much reviews an album has, in this case at least.

ji.jpg

I respectfully find such selective records kinda desperate

It's fine. You can have your own opinion. But, it's not desperate when it's a fact. TOL is the highest rated album by a GG on Metacritic whether you like it or not.

loml

• I'm assuming you're using those figures as examples as none of the GG albums mentioned here have more than 8 reviews. And, TA also debuted with 4 reviews with the same rating (71). I don't get what you're trying to prove. TA having 4 more reviews didn't help it's rating at all. It doesn't matter how much reviews an album has, in this case at least.

ji.jpg

It's fine. You can have your own opinion. But, it's not desperate when it's a fact. TOL is the highest rated album by a GG on Metacritic whether you like it or not.

Yes I used that as an example to create an obvious scenario

Yeah I don’t attach much importance to out of context records so you can have that.

But I praise twice for snatching the highest debut score. Really incredible and a better achievement to brag about

• KTL and Girls Aloud have the same number of reviews as TOL (4). TA has 8 and Reflection has 6. I don't consider this to be a reach as TWICE broke a Western GG record with the same number of reviews. And, it's not like the difference is huge. It's barely of 4 reviews with TA and 2 with Reflection. In the end, TOL remains the highest rated GG album on Metacritic.

Agree

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Normally games I guess or movie?

:?::?::?:

It started off reviewing Video games only (the site is regliously huge with the gaming community), then they included pretty much every kind of entertainment content like Movies and TV shows (including documentary) and then music. I remember the first album I have ever seen popping up on the the main page was a Cardi B album, that was like 3 years ago. I regularly visit the site but I don't think I have ever seen a kpop album review popping up on the main page before!! I had no idea they reviewed Blackpink album.

Edited 2 times, last by haj1ma ().

• It started off reviewing Video games only (the site is regliously huge with the gaming community), then they included pretty much every kind of entertainment content like Movies and TV shows (including documentary) and then music. I remember the first album I have ever seen popping up on the the main page was a Cardi B album, that was like 3 years ago. I regularly visit the site but I don't think I have ever seen a kpop album review popping up on the main page before!! I had no idea they reviewed Blackpink album.

It's been doing music way longer than that. I remember my ex flexing metacritic positions back in... 2006? 2005? Thereabouts.

They don't review anything though, Metacritic is an aggregator.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!