I wonder why people say JYP can't develop solo artists, yet never mention 2PM's 25 solo albums?

• 2PM, in their 13 years with JYP Entertainment (after renewing twice), has released a total of 12 studio albums, 3 compilation albums, and 2 EPs as a group. As individual solo artists signed to JYP, the members have released a combined total of 25 solo albums.

Breakdown by member:

• Jun. K. (main vocal): 4 Korean EPs, 5 Japanese EPs. (Average of 8 tracks per EP), plus about 16 OST tracks, 4 non-album singles.
    • Junho (lead vocal): 1 Korean EP, 7 Japanese EPs (Average of 8 tracks per EP), 3 compilation albums, 1 single album, 5 OST tracks.
    • Wooyoung (main dancer): 2 Korean EPs, 2 Japanese EPs (Average of 8 tracks per EP), 3 single albums, 3 collabs.
    • Nichkhun (visual): 2 EPs (released in 4 languages, because he's just that multi-lingual), 4 OSTs, 3 Thai singles.
    • Taecyeon (main rapper): 1 Japanese studio album, 6 collabs, 2 OSTs
    • Chansung (lead rapper): 1 Japanese EP, 2 collabs.

Four of the members also have growing careers as actors, and they were variety gems from the very beginning. And their teamwork is solid enough that Taecyeon still joins them for music activities and promotions, even after he signed on to another agency to manage his acting career.

Just wanted to put this example out there. Especially for fans of younger groups who think that JYP Ent doesn't know how to develop solo careers for their idols or have to sacrifice the group to do so. 2PM are the role models for TWICE, Day6, and their juniors after all.

• People forget or don't know about it because sadly none of them got success for their solo careers.

In Japan they do very well, especially Junho, but Korea and the rest of the world didn't really pay attention to their solo releases. A shame because jun. K has one of the best songs imo

Their acting and variety careers do way better but I don't think that's what people mean when they talk about solo debuts

• WG's, miss A and TWICE have all topped the Melon Annual Charts and won a Major Daesang....

While Itzy hasn't achieved the same, their album sold 331k, NiziU's most recent Physical Sales was 366k.

which is all true but the title is talking about solo artists...

I wonder why people say JYP can't develop solo artists,

• Stop being disingenuous please? I'm clearly talking about soloist from his groups.

Pearl, Byul, Park Jihoon and Lim Jeonghee had fairly good careers under JYPE as Non Female Idols that weren't in groups.

Baek A Yeon was their last Non-Idol Female that did pretty well.

For GGs, 15& members didn't do well, while the others were basically promoted as a part of renewing their contract.

Basically, JYPE didn't do as bad as you try to make it

• 2pm members' solo songs are really nice. Especially Jun.K's (Please listen to Jun.K's No Love-live performances, if you haven't already). Plus, every single member has had full-fledged solo tours/concerts in Japan (and Nichkhun an Asia, one, too).

We don't stop (2), Can't stop (P), Until we reach the top (M)!

i really love kdrama ladies + soft boys Digital cover: Korean boy band member Nichkhun on life as a K-pop idol —  Hashtag Legend2PM talk love, marriage, new album with Cosmo

• 15& did pretty well digitally. A little more effort and they could've been bigger. Same for with Jamie/Jimin's solo work (Yerin did and does well digitally, but that's mostly because of her own efforts).

You aren't entirely wrong to say that JYPE has had successful solo acts in the past. Unfortunately though, it doesn't change the fact that they completely dropped the ball in later years. Granted, groups do bring the money, so I imagine that's why their main focus goes to the groups.

As for the OP's question, as much as I love 2pm, most people aren't going to pay attention to their solo works unless they're fans. Especually when most of it is in Japan.. Multiples members are known in the public eye, but unfortunately most people are missing out on their music, both group and solo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!