3. Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

4. Source Code - Duncan Jones

5. Inception - Christopher Nolan

6. The Matrix series - Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski

7. Minority Report - Steven Spielberg

Honorable mention: Butterfly Effect

But this is still the best for me:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Paprika is one of my favourite anime movie.

Yeah, Paprika is quite insane. The first time I watched it, I was like "wait, it's kinda like Inception, isn't it?". Then I learned Nolan was indeed inspired by Paprika for his film. Too bad he didn't go as crazy as Paprika in the dream sequences. When you compare the two, you realize Inception is pretty boring in its depiction of dreams. It's moslty people shooting with guns. Meh.

• Yeah, Paprika is quite insane. The first time I watched it, I was like "wait, it's kinda like Inception, isn't it?". Then I learned Nolan was indeed inspired by Paprika for his film. Too bad he didn't go as crazy as Paprika in the dream sequences. When you compare the two, you realize Inception is pretty boring in its depiction of dreams. It's moslty people shooting with guns. Meh.

Yeah. Western movies and Asian movies are very different in style. Especially japanese animes are very unique. Like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away etc. It's like there are no barrier in their thinking. They really go out of the box. While western directors feel like make their movies boring on purpose. :D Other example would be Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder. The film is so good and entertaining to watch. While David Fincher's Zodiac is so boring.

• its a genius work

was salty for a long while how such a bizarre concept was copied by inception but never given a mention

Yeah. Star Wars is inspired by Akira Kurosawa's films. West still studies his cinematography in their Universities. Hunger Games inspired by Battle Royale etc. It's so sad to see great films are replicated by west but not getting enough recognition themselves.

• Yeah. Western movies and Asian movies are very different in style. Especially japanese animes are very unique. Like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away etc. It's like there are no barrier in their thinking. They really go out of the box. While western directors feel like make their movies boring on purpose. :D Other example would be Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder. The film is so good and entertaining to watch. While David Fincher's Zodiac is so boring.

Well it depends. Guillermo del Toro for example has a vivid imagination, his films are full of crazy creatures.

In that regard, Nolan is one of the worst examples you can find. The dude has some legit crazy ideas for his stories but what he makes of them is rather dull.

• Well it depends. Guillermo del Toro for example has a vivid imagination, his films are full of crazy creatures.

In that regard, Nolan is one of the worst examples you can find. The dude has some legit crazy ideas for his stories but what he makes of them is rather dull.

Yeah. Guillermo del Toro is amazing. My fav film from him is Pan's Labyrinth. I think it's just the film style. Some wants weird & bizarre styling. Some just wants pretty plain & normal style.

• :omgr: Fifth Element, Predator. I have only watched 2005 version of War of the Worlds.

1953 US 'War of the Worlds' closely follows the original radio broadcast. A UK version is true to original script.

Original Radio Broadcast

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2005 Tom Cruise is good and also the UK versions. The 1953 version is also a time capsule of 1950's Los Angeles.

• Not necessarily what I think is the best as that list fluctuates a lot, but if someone asks what I would recommend, this would probably my shortlist:

Children of Men - Probably one of the most important movie of the genre

Blade Runner - Saw the film quite young and back then my whole definition of sci-fi are people on spaceships shooting lasers. Didn't like it. Took me a few years and re-watch to understand the movie (and appreciate the soundtrack).

Attack the Block - Because its fun. For me it has the same energy as Goonies and Shaun of the Dead. Totally re-watchable.

Annihilation - I would admit this is probably due to recency bias but there's not a lot of films in the New Weird genre and part of me is just glad this movie was made.

Minority Report - It's a blockbuster sci-fi action film first and foremost but it does posit some ethical and moral quandary that would make you think if you want to dig deeper. Still a solid popcorn flick if you don't. Most people remember this film because of the gesture tracking tech but damn, they predicted pesky targeted ads.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Because its poignant. It's a sci-fi that is not about the science but about people and relationship. Most good sci-fi aren't about the sci-fi anyway, it's about the characters.

Alien and The Thing - Horror and sci-fi mix together well. Unpopular opinion: both films kinda feel dated but it's not their fault but because a lot of horror films through the years have done the same jump scares ad nauseam although to be fair some have innovated and subverted it. As pioneers though, barely any movie can touch these two.

Back to the Future - Same as Attack the Block, it's fun, it's entertaining. The characters are likeable. The movie knows what it is and movies doesn't need to always have some deep introspective philosophical message for it to be good.

Probably a few more that I'm too lazy to write down at the moment.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!