Do you think current vaccines can supress Covid -19 Delta variant?

• For Moderna and Pfizer, if you got both doses, it is highly effective versus Delta variant. These companies are researching boosts for new variants, but there is no need for the Delta specific one yet.

• Depends on what you mean by saying 'suppress'. Vaccines do not guarantee that you will not get sick, but they greatly reduce the likelihood of a severe illness

432-ynitmfg-gif

Edited once, last by 0neechan ().

• For pfizer, modern and AZ they are all supposedly effective at heavily reducing the contraction and side effects of Delta but no vaccine is 100% effective.

Delta is the most dangerous mutation so far and had it not been for the vaccines then things could've been a lot worse as seen in India where the vaccine roll out has been much lower than America and Europe. However there is a worry that covid can keep mutating to even stronger variants and no one knows if the vaccines will be as effective or of booster shots are needed.

• Over 100 years of virology has taught us that subsequent variants are ALWAYS weaker than the original. Virus variants do not become stronger - because stronger strains quickly kill their hosts and do not spread very far. Weaker and more transmissible strains are the ones that endure.

The Delta Variant will present itself as an easily caught and easily overcome common cold, just like other coronaviruses.

This latest attempt by totalitarian politicians to misappropriate the authority of medical science and terrify the public into submission to their dictates is doomed to fail - but it will hurt a lot of people in the process.

• We’re got all types of confusion going on here. They’re saying AstraZeneca is dangerous for under 40’s but said under 60’s such as myself can have it if they want despite the risk of blood clots. The Government are recommending older people have the Pfizer one. I’m confused myself and don’t know what to do. We have very low vaccination rates here and it’s all a bit of a mess at the moment. I’ve heard you can still get COVID but it stops the symptoms getting worse. I’m not sure about this new variant as it’s evolving too much. Frankly, I doubt we’ll ever truly get rid of it unless the world has herd immunity.

• At the moment, the only vaccine proven to effectively prevent delta variant contraction is Moderna, not 100% still.

Yet, the virus is quickly evolving and it won't be long before a new Moderna resistant variant emerges.

Over 100 years of virology has taught us that subsequent variants are ALWAYS weaker than the original. Virus variants do not become stronger - because stronger strains quickly kill their hosts and do not spread very far. Weaker and more transmissible strains are the ones that endure.

The Delta Variant will present itself as an easily caught and easily overcome common cold, just like other coronaviruses.

This latest attempt by totalitarian politicians to misappropriate the authority of medical science and terrify the public into submission to their dictates is doomed to fail - but it will hurt a lot of people in the process.

So much bullshit here

Delta variant has told you that your 100 years virology knowledge is bullshit. It is more deadly yet spreading extremely fast wiping out weaker alpha variant.

Other infamous members of corona family include deadly SARS and MERS. They definitely are not similar to common cold.

• Newest finding indicated that J&J vaccine worked against the delta variant.

Just read an article about worrisome new variants

Delta plus, yet another variant from India. With only 1 mutation from the original delta, it is almost identical to the original. It is possibly more contagious but causes weaker symptom. More studies is needed.

Gamma, originated in Brazil. This is not very new variant but, its contraction number is on the rise and outscoring delta in Pacific Northwest. The gamma variant is the strongest variant resulting highest hospitalization rate.

Epsilon, the newest variant from California. It is possibly resistant against mRNA vaccine. LA health office has advised everyone, vaccinated or not, to always wear mask in public spaces.

• Scientist asses are on the line

Global herd immunity looks far out on uninvited craps every 6 month.

• I don't know. I hope the healthcare organizations administering these vaccines have some funds stored up.

• Best case scenario is it actual works.
    • Worse case scenario is it doesn't and the CDC and others find out, after the fact, that they didn't do enough testing to be aware of the long-term effects.

60%-70% in (current vaccination levels are around 50%), they won't have any room to turn around and say, "Oopps! My bad!" :-) That would infuriate a lot of people.

• This is not a statement based in science.

Stat is science, your intuition isn't.

I have one dose of AstraZeneca and it is getting widely used in india. Hopefully it works against this variant mess

For best protection possibility, you better switch to a vaccine of a different technology for your second jab.

• Stat is science, your intuition isn't.

For best protection possibility, you better switch to a vaccine of a different technology for your second jab.

I wanted sputnik, but at that time it wasn't available. Can i change the medicine midway? i mean won't it cause any issue?

• I wanted sputnik, but at that time it wasn't available. Can i change the medicine midway? i mean won't it cause any issue?

At first, it was advised to not doing so but, more data from Europe showed the vaccine combination tended to work better and was safe.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!