TW: racism (how many of these do you experience)

• i wish i could do that without brats going on social media and complaining about that one girl in class that wore a weird outfit

I get it, do what you feel comfortable doing

But for me, I would let ignorant, rude, selfish people be idiots and do what I want. It's really tough to not be affected by mean words though, I know that much.

• You may be affected by:

• racism directed towards your family and loved ones
    • constant negative headlines about a group you identify with or a country you have ties with
    • misrepresentation or no representation in the media
    • noticing worrying patterns of behaviour from the institutions you interact with (whether at your doctor’s surgery, at school, at work)
    • reading statistics that show unfairness and inequality across the justice, health and education system
    • people dismissing how we feel, telling us we’re overreacting, or denying there is a problem

You avoid:

• speaking in another language, or with an accent, in public
    • using public transport or going to certain public places alone where you could be a minority
    • using your real name on a job application
    • worrying about interacting with the police
    • worrying about wearing the clothes we want to wear
    • hiding parts of our identity, like our religion or culture
    • sharing our worldview and taking part in topical discussions
    • visiting places, or going on holiday to places, where racism has been reported

Please go into detail if you want to, I'm really interested in each person's experiences with these things

Some of them aren't out right racism but I'm still curious

Growing up with two cultures and backgrounds people would just be blatantly ignorant and plain disrespectful to me and my family.

It was hard when I was a child but now that I'm a college student going to a predominantly yt school it's been extremely hard and uncomfortable for me. The anti-black protests put a lot of pressure on you as an individual.

Always having to look out for yourself.

There's a lot of outspoken and hidden racism in Canada. The "we are nice" image is just a facade with deep-rooted racism. From Islamophobia to Canada's relationship with Indigenous people.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• I just realized that you're right, Canada is usually presented as having a clean slate on pretty much everything, but that's not true. Stuff sucks everywhere

Where there any protests at your school or neighborhood?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!