Is asking for Biological Sex problematic?

• This seems to be the new trend so they can circumvent gender identity. Business, clinic, etc. ask for Biological Sex. Wouldn't this cause dysmorphia/dysphoria to a lot of people?

• I think if it's a medical facility, like a hospital, it's important to know such a thing. I'm not a doctor but treatment varies based on your sex sometimes, just due to the biological differences between the sexes.

If any other place, especially a business, asked that, I see it as extremely problematic.

• I think if it's a medical facility, like a hospital, it's important to know such a thing. I'm not a doctor but treatment varies based on your sex sometimes, just due to the biological differences between the sexes.

If any other place, especially a business, asked that, I see it as extremely problematic.

Yeah this exactly! Unless there is a legit medical purpose behind it, I don't think knowing what biological sex you are is super relevant to begin with.

I wouldn't call it problematic perse though. Just unnecessary.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

I...agree with you for once...

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• In some jobs I think it’s necessary to know the biological sex. In majority of the jobs we have it’s not. So it’ depends. It’s definitely not needed in the business field.

Also I know they ask about the biological sex for statistics.

• Fair point.

I'd say, however, that yes, asking for biological sex can be ok, but only when presented with a legitimate reason or concern that requires that information. It'd also be preferable if they state the reason while asking.

but what is a legitimate reason? and who specifies it's legitimateness? the gov? the person asking or the person answering?

imo just as one should be free to ask, the answerer should be free to answer or not answer as the case may be

• but what is a legitimate reason? and who specifies it's legitimateness? the gov? the person asking or the person answering?

imo just as one should be free to ask, the answerer should be free to answer or not answer as the case may be

Eh to try to split hairs on what is legit or not is probably going to be a headache and a half but yea if there's an issue like going to the gynecologists' for the first time then the gyno might want to ask what type of genital's they might be expecting to examine, etc.

• Yeah this exactly! Unless there is a legit medical purpose behind it, I don't think knowing what biological sex you are is super relevant to begin with.

I wouldn't call it problematic perse though. Just unnecessary.

I would call it problematic because in some instances the information is used for discrimination.

• I would call it problematic because in some instances the information is used for discrimination.

Yeah true. It can be used for statistic purposes. At the same time, I feel like you shouldn't have to answer if you don't want to.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Until I lived abroad and traveled, I didn't realize how often these types of unnecessary questions come up compared to in America and the west.

In Japan I've had to clearly write my biological sex, age, photo, if I'm married, and if I have children/dependents, just to apply to a job. None of that relates to my ability to teach. I've noticed that outside of western English-speaking countries, this type of thing is heavily normalized.

Related to this topic a little, so I thought I'd talk about it.

• Until I lived abroad and traveled, I didn't realize how often these types of unnecessary questions come up compared to in America and the west.

In Japan I've had to clearly write my biological sex, age, photo, if I'm married, and if I have children/dependents, just to apply to a job. None of that relates to my ability to teach. I've noticed that outside of western English-speaking countries, this type of thing is heavily normalized.

Related to this topic a little, so I thought I'd talk about it.

It comes down to legal and social "conservation" reasons. Companies have to report demographic info to the government.

They want to make it harder for people to impersonate others or not claim something by surprise in the future. Basically Japan wants to prevent foreigners from remaining permanently as much as they can and these kinds of info helps them figure out patterns (for ex. if a bunch of foreign women of fertile age suddenly start coming to Japan, they want to know what's up).

• It comes down to legal and social "conservation" reasons. Companies have to report demographic info to the government.

They want to make it harder for people to impersonate others or not claim something by surprise in the future. Basically Japan wants to prevent foreigners from remaining permanently as much as they can and these kinds of info helps them figure out patterns (for ex. if a bunch of foreign women of fertile age suddenly start coming to Japan, they want to know what's up).

This is required for everyone for most jobs and other applications in Japan, foreign or not. I would understand for visa and immigration purposes, but not as a universal norm for most jobs.

This info is used for interviews and hiring in particular actually. As age and sex discrimination is pretty much legal here as far as hiring practices.

There’s a lot of strange things. For example, At my workplace, people that are married or have kids are paid more than those without them. This kind of thing is pretty common for teachers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!