TW: the glamorizing of s3xual assault and abuse in some romantic comics and fanfics

• Are you ok with it? 26

1. It's just fiction at the end of the day (10) 38%
    2. Fiction or not, it's wrong (16) 62%

Hello, you see the title

BA5JJSl.gif

• Stockholm syndrome
    • Molestation
    • R*pe
    • Mental, emotional and physical abuse
    • Very disturbed characters (like a male lead who's fucking crazy, manipulative and/or overly possessive but he's sexy so it's ok :S)
    • Etc.

Quite controversial tbh but an interesting topic of discussion. Whether its BLs, GLs, hetero-romantic comics, fanfics, etc. these things tend to be very glamorized. But why?

My theory:

Why writers write them? I think they know that some of their readers have subconscious kinks or fantasies that they can witness through characters with no consequences or possible feeling of shame. Note: a person is not always involved in their own fantasies

Why readers like it? Well in addition to the subconscious theory there's also something else: sex appeal and beauty. The authors use it to "justify" the toxicity. If the characters in these fanfics and comics were unattractive I can guarentee you that most readers would be very turned off by the sexual assault and abuse rather than intrigued. That r*pe scene that made you hot and bother would have made you vomit if the attacker looked like a big toe.

But those are just my thoughts, let's talk about it

:danceb:

DISCLAIMER: I don't look down on ppl who read these, I read BLs sometimes but I drop about 90% of them because I don't like the abuse and assualt ?( But I judge no one who enjoys them. So long as you know that its FUCKED UP to act out these things irl and ain't shit romantic about it

• I'm ok with it as long as characters are completely fictional

there is lots of stuff i can't stomach either, I just ignore those or stop reading once I start feeling that it's making me feel bad (killing stalking was an example of it, i couldn't finish it but i def don't think anything less of people who enjoyed it)

Moved the thread to the trash: 18+ topic .
  • I fine with it, as the truth of the matter is these things happen, people tend to write about their experiences

but these shouldn't be seen as having a good experience, just as it is really.

Although when real experiences like this happen there's often a haze of cluelessness (as In the beginning you dont know any better so it's seems right and just, even though it's not) that's a hard feeling to replicate in writing which may make the issue seem lighter than it is, that people can misiterupt it as romancitizing especially in the beginning but most these stories should end in realisation that these sttuations are toxic, or in failing that a disclaimer should be given.

For me, these are fictious so its never been a problem cause I know better, through personal experiences but they not something I'll read at all, however people are still naive and can't always comprehend fictional narratives as fiction and can be easily influenced, so It can be a issue.

giphy.gif
    *Shawol* VK Lover

• People can write about whatever they want. It's not my place to police what they want to write and what some people want to read.

My personal opinion is that using real life people in fiction makes me uncomfortable, as long as it stays within fictional characters, I am ok with it.

However, writers should ALWAYS use warnings and triggers whenever they write something controversial.

• The most infuriating thing is when people use the mafia for their little coffee shop shipping fics as if it’s not a literal real-life domestic terrorist organization

• it depends but

In my experience, most times when a story includes something like that, it is not romantic/sexy nor disturbing, it's just kind of a wtf moment

Maybe I just read things that are bad quality

By wtf moment, I mean it's just awkward

Like "Why would the writer include that"

Anyway if it is a good quality scene, I accept it

Personally I try to think about it in a technical way

I have been disturbed certain times by these topics, but in those cases I just clicked out or stop reading/\

I think the reader's discomfort, means the topic was handled awkwardly

I have not really seen any recent examples of this "glamorizing" so I can only go off memories from things I read long ago

IF such "glamorization" or romantiziation is intentional by the writer, I think it can be accepted as an artistic choice, to depict something from a romanticized perspective. the counter argument would be that there are some lines that should not be crossed for "art" or "artistic purposes". I think it is up to the writer, to weigh between publicizing their idea and potentially crossing a moral line for many people, or to not publicize the idea and not disrupt others. That decision whether this controversial story should be published publically, that would depend on the writer's purpose for making the story, risk-averseness, the level of "controversialness", and other things.

Everyone has a different opinion on the line, and if there is a line at all, so I guess I am just speaking from a practical perspective. Obviously a different author would do different things based on their personal morality...

IF it is more of an unintentional accident, for example the writer was young and didn't really know how these things work, then it's just kind of awkwardly handled due to lack of knowledge.

• I still think it's wrong and dangerous because for some people there's a thin line between fiction and reality and they start believing that those kind of behaviors are normal when they're not

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• may be its writers own fantasies :pepestare: About BLs comics and novels I don't know why but 90% of them are problematic. abuse by one partner is completely romanticized and other one is totally fine with it.

even untamed novel was somewhat disturbing to me in its last few chapters. Drama was really good tho

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!