[pannchoa] Knets continue to criticize idols "CD donation" culture. Idol Fandoms doing self-purification activities

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://pann-choa.blogspot.com…l-fandoms-doing-self.html

that was a really interesting read

• This is my take on it

• A lot of fans buy extra, but not all the time it is used to boost the sales. Yes I do think to a huge extent it is used to boost sales, like having a donation pool to buy albums to support an artist comeback, but when it reaches a certain level it just seem too much
    • I think a lot of fans buy multiple albums for photocards. This is why there are a lot of sales online selling "unsealed albums" without the photocards. Fans buy like a lot of albums, sell/trade photocards, and sell off their unsealed albums because they don't need it anymore, they just want the cards
    • It is a good initiative to donate the albums, but like I mentioned earlier, when it reaches a certain level, it can be too much. Lets be honest yes one side of the story is that "oh I'm donating it for a good cause because we have extra albums that we want to donate" but lets face it, it is probably more like "I'm going to throw away these albums anyways since it is hard to sell off my unsealed albums, so why not invoke my inner wokeness and be charitable".
    • Companies won't really be doing anything to stop this why? Because it hurts their profits, it hurts their sales. Unless they only sell merchandise, or like photocard packs that people would have gotten from the albums. However this will obviously hurt their album sales by A LOT and in order to get revenue from it, the photocard bundles from albums will have to be very expensive.
    • For example, photocards for Day6 albums is $9 SGD per card (I just went on carousell and search, that is around $6.80 USD). This would mean a 5 member group of Day6 with 2 versions, having a total collectible of 20 photocards, would be $136 for an entire set. And this is for a less popular group with only 5 members, imagine a more popular group with more members. But as a company, why would I do that, if I can sell more albums and get more fans to buy albums, that will boost my album sales?
  • i will never understand this donating albums to organizations.

Gift it to fans or someone in the fanclub who can't afford it.

Some of these organisations throw them in the garbage and it's an insult to anyone who takes pride in their music.

The non shipped back albums from chinese fans also belong to this category. Take those albums back and give it to fans through lottery or something.

• I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cd donations is nothing more then an excuse for bulk buying. If you're gonna bulk buy then at least admit, it's not the end of the end of the world and plenty of groups fans do it, but disguising it as an act of "charity" is really lame especially if the money used to but albums could actually be donated to charity instead for things they really need rather than a luxury

Some of these organisations throw them in the garbage and it's an insult to anyone who takes pride in their music.

The non shipped back albums from chinese fans also belong to this category. Take those albums back and give it to fans through lottery or something.

Other fans are not gonna want an album with all the photocards, stickers, etc. missing.

• I'd heard about donating albums before but I didn't realize they were ones that had been opened and had the photocards removed. At that point, what's the album even worth. Who even has a CD player these days?

It's really selfish to donate opened albums. Maybe fans should be asking fansites what they do with their unwanted albums? But then what is there to do, except add them to landfill. That's got to be better than making a charity do it for you though.

• just give it to me. I don't even like photocards. I like the photo album and the cd more.

Would you like 300 of them though? Maybe you could make some art for your walls...

There's a solution then. Stans who want to wallpaper their room in photobooks could volunteer to take them!

• pretty sure kpop is already at the level of akb bulk buying

Not really ,Japan stan & goods culture is just entirely crazy . 48G is not that big/respected anymore in Japan yet they still sells million on their latest singles & i'm pretty sure that 90% of those sales are from Japan . Especially with sousenkyo where each year they vote for most popular member & in order to vote u have to buy an album. The last sousenkyo was in 2018 Matsui Jurina win with 190k vote and sakura iz*one sakura rank 3rd with 140k voted .

Nct tried this with the resonance where if u buy an album u can vote for their reality show and got criticized and sm pull the plan.

And if you compare that to KPop .

KPop is more popular worlwide but if we compare with Japanese idol the sales does not scales with the number of "fans".

Just for example

Like let's say AKB have 500k fans , imma say 80-90% of the buy atlest 1 album

30-40% buy more than 5 album .

And the the majority of 48g fans male are what we call "akgae"in here coz they release album with each member version.And thats where the crazy rich one are.

I can say around 10-20% of those 500k are buying more than than 10 albums for theirself just to boost their bias promotion.

For KPop

They have more than millions of fans yet only some KPop artist can break above million sales .

Let say some group have 3 million fans but only sales like 300-400k that means less than 50% buy their album.

And if 5-10 % of those are the rich one that buy more than 10 albums that means the "reguler" fans that buy at least 1 albums are even lover than 40% . I can even say (for myself) it even lower than 30% .

At the end of the day it just cultural diffirence

It's not as easy as it sound

The thing is we have to consider the cost of shipping,storing, and pay the person that manage the shipping address, process and deliver it to the shipping service.

It Will take weeks or even months and theres a posibilities of a loss where the cost of the whole process can cost more than the album itself.

Ktown4u tried with the fandom discount where some fandom pool money andprovide discount on ktown4u .

I can't see it happening unless some KPop album marketplace Will implement some giveaway system.

They Will do a giveaway every releases.

the album that are gifted away are pooled from people or group order that want to give it away,

And if i buy an album i get an option to donate the album to the giveaway .

Coz it take away the stroring issues when u can just ship it dirrectly from the marketplace.

Idk how the giveaway Will be

It's either be point' system' or Lottery system'.

Lottery system are simply just randomize who get the album .

With point system' it still randomize but the more point' u got u got more chance .

U got point' by idk let say follow the group sns,watch the MV etc.

But we have the PC issue where people buy alot take the PC and donate the unsealed album.

Honestly at that point i say throwing it away is better. Coz like i said the storing and processing cost can cost more than the album itself and u just make other people have a hard time.

And if u're like "but it's not right and it's good to donate " then spend money and do it yourself , and if u don't have time spend more money and hire people to do the whole proccess .

But at the end of the day if u really want to donated it u wouldnt unseal it and take the PC .

• There's a lot of bulk buying for photocards. You need a quite significant number of albums to get all of them. For 6 photocards you need an average of 14 albums.

They open all the albums, take all the photocards, sell the duplicates to amortize the cost and throw away all but a few albums. It's not a true donation, they just want to get rid of them.

You can even find free opened albums at some stores in SK.

image0-1.jpg

image0-2.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!