have you heard of the unwritten rule in regards to dating someone younger?

• of half one's age plus seven

inspired by someone elses dating thread...

i thought i'd ask if people have heard of such a rule and whether they agree with it or not?

and also futhermore whether it's acceptable by your standards regardless of what age the adults are, provided they are both adults...

• I'd basically be dating someone the same age as me

To be honest, I could care less about the age of my future partner (that is if I do get married or date)

My only thought that I would give is that if someone or even myself, is going to date someone with a noticeable age gap (even if it were as little as three years, age gaps can affect a relationship between partners based on what morals or what they want to do in life), both individuals must be of legal age.

work in progress

• never heard of it

i never date people more than 4 years older and i never date anyone younger

but i think its fine no matter what the age is.

you have never dated anyone younger or you will never date anyone younger?

• that's because you're only like 13 lol

you are certainly not going to be dating 12 year olds are you. ..

• The closer someone is to my age, the better I think 🤔

I know there isn't much difference but dating a 16-17 year old sounds weird to me

You got a point, even a one-year age gap like that can affect relationships.

At those ages listed, both are thinking and growing differently.

But what I think matters in a relationship, is to put in the effort to work on and grow the relationship between yourself and another. Also, respect, openness, empathy, and patience are also key factors to have in a respectful and healthy relationship.

At least that is my personal opinion <3

work in progress

Edited once, last by Sara-M ().

• I would date someone around the same age as me or 1 year older than me, I don’t want to date a younger boy it’s just a preference, but there is no way I’m going to date anyone older than my parents or even 2 years older than me. It’s either 1 year older/same age or I’m not going to date them, tbh I feel like any relationship 7+ years is kind of creepy, sorry to couples who have this age gap, but it just weirds me out. Even if both are adults for example, a 24 year old and a 64 year old, i feel like that is too much. Remember age is not just a number but a jail cell is, right?.

• I would date someone around the same age as me or 1 year older than me, I don’t want to date a younger boy it’s just a preference, but there is no way I’m going to date anyone older than my parents or even 2 years older than me. It’s either 1 year older/same age or I’m not going to date them, tbh I feel like any relationship 7+ years is kind of creepy, sorry to couples who have this age gap, but it just weirds me out. Even if both are adults for example, a 24 year old and a 64 year old, i feel like that is too much. Remember age is not just a number but a jail cell is, right?.

how old are you now my friend?

• that's because you're only like 13 lol

you are certainly not going to be dating 12 year olds are you. ..

No, I just decide to focus more on myself.

I mean individuals younger than me have already started dating as young as 12, and have had relationships with high schoolers.

I am also waiting to find the right one (don't really think that I can find 'the one' because you have to make a relationship work between yourself and another). I don't just want to date random people because I am bored and want some fun. That does not really appeal to me.

work in progress

• I don't know. I've just never been attracted to younger people. and it seems weird to me

a year older is fine. but i prefer at least 2

a year younger is a no for me.

interesting so its okay for a guy who can be 2years older than you to date you but you would not even consider a guy 2 years younger than you... interesting

• Official Post

I've heard of it. I does make sense to a certain point, but it's still pretty iffy.

• i just think anyone who's at a stage of life where we'd be able to relate to each other works for me

im 20 so for me anyone around college/university age would be the most preferred but I dont mind older either

in fact, I've always found older girls attractive especially personality wise ( half my exes were older than me ) but I doubt there's too many late 20s working adult females who'd relate to me rather than an established man looking to settle

as for your rule, 17 sadly is underage and something I'd like to avoid but if its a 17 year old who looks and sounds mature enough, I probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference until I found out their age

• You got a point, even a one-year age gap like that can affect relationships.

At those ages listed, both are thinking and growing differently.

But what I think matters in a relationship, is to put in the effort to work on and grow the relationship between yourself and another. Also, respect, openness, empathy, and patience are also key factors to have in a respectful and healthy relationship.

At least that is my personal opinion <3

very interesting perspectives coming from a 13 year old :thumbup:

• interesting so its okay for a guy who can be 2years older than you to date you but you would not even consider a guy 2 years younger than you... interesting

when i get into my 20s that may change but i'm 16 dating a 14 year old is weird

edit: actually nope still gonna be weird

what can i say i'm into older guys

• I don't mind dating someone 1 or 2 year younger or older than me.

Also I have no idea what your question is asking lol

the second part of my question?

well as long as both parties are consenting adults - does it matter what age difference they are?

• No, I just decide to focus more on myself.

I mean individuals younger than me have already started dating as young as 12, and have had relationships with high schoolers.

I am also waiting to find the right one (don't really think that I can find 'the one' because you have to make a relationship work between yourself and another). I don't just want to date random people because I am bored and want some fun. That does not really appeal to me.

interesting...but how would you know what you want if you don't date random people?

remember the key word is date not marry or otherwise

for example: you might have never tried new foods and thus how would you know what you like and not like if you never tried such a food?

17 but I turn 18 in September

so are you saying that you would never date someone more than 2 years older than you?

interesting you have the same perspectives as crafty...that you are willing to date someone up to two years older but aren't will to consider even dating someone younger...

just a thought...

• i wont date someone younger :nob: i will only date someone the same age as me or a few years older :dancer:

interesting you are the third person (specifically woman) here who has said that they are willing to date older (2 years to a a few years) but wouldn't consider dating anyone younger...

just food for thought... :/

• the second part of my question?

well as long as both parties are consenting adults - does it matter what age difference they are?

Ahh okay thank you for the clarification!

Umm, I do think it matters, bc bigger age gapped people might not share as many common interests together. But I know some people can make it work, I just don't know I feel about a 50 year old dating a 18 year old, seems off.

• interesting and understandable...

• so are you saying that you would never date someone more than 2 years older than you?

interesting you have the same perspectives as crafty...that you are willing to date someone up to two years older but aren't will to consider even dating someone younger...

just a thought...

No I wouldn’t date somebody more than 1 year older than me, I’m not into younger men, because I would feel like a creep if had a crush on a boy younger than me

• when i get into my 20s that may change but i'm 16 dating a 14 year old is weird

edit: actually nope still gonna be weird

what can i say i'm into older guys

so would it be acceptable in your opinion for a 16 year old guy to date a 14 year old girl then?

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!