If Lady Gaga was invited to the Olympics Opening Ceremony, why not Lisa or KPop's Senior Singer?

• During the 2018 Winter Olympics in Korea the following people performed

Opening

Recorded songs

Psy Gangnam Style

Twice Likey

Big Bang Fantastic Baby

BTS DNA

Red Velvet Red Flavor

Actual performance

Jun Ingwon, Lee Eunmi, Ha Hyunwoo of Gookasten - indie singers

Ahn JIyoung - Bol4

They sang John Lennon's Imagine

Closing

CL

EXO

On that day, I wrote a column. BTS' Seokjin went to play a game with a member of BTOB, I think Eunkwang. And the Senior Singer went to the wedding of the dancer who danced with her in Good Day.

The choices of singers were controversial, and even then the armies were against using BTS in government activities, while no one had thought about inviting the then 25 years old singer....

• John Lennon's Imagine

That's the English component.

As to BTS, seriously SK is making a joke of itself by sending them for everything.

Next they might send a BTS member to a Miss World pageant.

I can understand why ARMY gets annoyed.

But SK did better in using a lot of Korean singers and they had the limelight.

In Paris, Gaga & Dion took all the attention.

• When BTS was big it did conquer the world and no one else was under it

And since BTS was not available BlackPink, the next biggest KPop figure, or IU,BTS' greatest rival, would have qualified in my opinion

It is just the French being snobbish and ignoring the greatest trend of earth

That's nonsensical, why would French invite anyone but French artists & English artists - because it is the global language.

Similarly did Koreans invite some other language acts. In 2018.

Olympics is to show case the culture of the host country, not of others.

• Arjit Singh is now the most followed artist on Spotify. But 99% of his following comes from one country - India, but that is enough for him to be the highest followed artist.

Yet, very few outside India would know about him.

But someone like Bieber would be known in all English speaking countries and further, since English is the lingua franca of the world,

Or Bad Bunny in all Spanish speaking nations.

Colonialism and American dominance has achieved that cultural impact.

That is why Arjit Singh will rarely be invited to perform for global events in locations, where there aren't much Indians/Indian diaspora. Whereas even Indians will invite Bieber, though hardly 5% of Indians (Urban Youth) would know of Bieber.

It is the power differential in culture.

BTS/BP are already commendable that they have broken through some of these cultural power differential. But nevertheless their reach is never going to match that of Swift or Gaga etc.,

It is not their fault, but that their home culture does not have the amplification that the West has.

In fact, Lisa has to thank Korea, that she at least has this reach. had she been just a Thai performer.. wait I had to google for the popular singers in Thailand..say Palmy Pancharoen.. then what global reach would she have?

IU could be the Arjit Singh of S.Korea and Korean diaspora.. but that is it.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!