The state of comments on Jeon Somi’s Instagram

• I don't think there's been a more stark difference in the divide between Twitter/IG Kpop fans and regular Kpop fans (ones that actually spend money on it) than this whole Starbucks/McDonalds/Marvel whatever else. There's literally a list of demands of these places.

No one outside of that specific group (that's exclusively online and exclusively kpop) cares about that particular issue (boycotting). But the way they're talking is extreme and as if Kpop idols are committing murder and rape.

It's always been odd, but the vitriol for this particular thing has been exponentially worse.

This is why you separate idols/celebrities from world issues. These aren't geopolitical experts or foreign ambassadors. They're famous for singing and dancing. Keep them separate.

Sometimes a coffee is just a coffee. Sometimes a hamburger is just a hamburger. Sometimes a movie is just a movie. It isn't showing political support one way or the other.

You can't tell celebrities what to eat, drink and watch.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Do these TW folks realize that the majority of Korean Kpop idols probably support Israel? I would guess the VAST MAJORITY do tbh.

I dont think they realize just how conservative Korea is, ESPECIALLY when it comes to terrorism. If Hamas had done this to Korea, 90 percent of the people would probably favor turning Gaza into a parking lot, and most probably wouldnt care how many innocents ended up being collateral damage. And no, they wont be delving into 2000 years of history to figure out who has rights to the land, or 80 years of Israeli-Arab conflicts and Israeli occupation to figure out if Hamas was justified in butchering, raping, kidnapping and torturing 1200 people including rando Euro hippies at a peace festival. They would be screaming for REVENGE.

• It's easy to do performative comment activism. These people would be the first ones to disappear the second you wanted to take action that required them to actually sacrifice something in their life for there to be a change.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is just super fucking strange at this point. Other idols like Jennie and Jisoo posted with Starbucks and that blew over...now they are just going at Somi for no reason.

If they actually cared wouldn't they be hounding all the other idols and celebs? Freaks. Yet they all still use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc but fuck Somi right?

Somi doesn't have a big dedicated fandom, so the comments won't be drowned out by fans.

I also don't know why she is THE target for this when there are several idols who posted something Starbucks related.

• I don't think there's been a more stark difference in the divide between Twitter/IG Kpop fans and regular Kpop fans (ones that actually spend money on it) than this whole Starbucks/McDonalds/Marvel whatever else. There's literally a list of demands of these places.

No one outside of that specific group (that's exclusively online and exclusively kpop) cares about that particular issue (boycotting). But the way they're talking is extreme and as if Kpop idols are committing murder and rape.

I have seen other people getting attacked over this and by non Kpop fans, but I agree it's very much an online thing and seems performative in most cases.

• This is just super fucking strange at this point. Other idols like Jennie and Jisoo posted with Starbucks and that blew over...now they are just going at Somi for no reason.

Their reason is that they consider Somi a white American, not a Korean. And their cultural influencers tell them attacking white Americans for the alleged sins of the American government is an act of virtue.

• She most probably got more fans out of this than she lost. Also I wouldn't be surprised if some companies that part of the global military industrial complex will start supporting her behind the scenes.

• Do these TW folks realize that the majority of Korean Kpop idols probably support Israel? I would guess the VAST MAJORITY do tbh.

I dont think they realize just how conservative Korea is, ESPECIALLY when it comes to terrorism. If Hamas had done this to Korea, 90 percent of the people would probably favor turning Gaza into a parking lot, and most probably wouldnt care how many innocents ended up being collateral damage. And no, they wont be delving into 2000 years of history to figure out who has rights to the land, or 80 years of Israeli-Arab conflicts and Israeli occupation to figure out if Hamas was justified in butchering, raping, kidnapping and torturing 1200 people including rando Euro hippies at a peace festival. They would be screaming for REVENGE.

im gonna be real the majority of kpop idols dont give a fuck about Israel/palestine. It probably is a thing that doesnt cross the minds of most Koreans.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!