I don't understand the numbers behind the top 3 biggest streaming years by a girl group in Spotify history

• Screenshot-2023-11-17-151828.jpg

These are the three biggest years ever on Spotify.

What confuses me is 2022/2023 for BlackPink. You'd expect these years to be reversed, right? BlackPink had a full album release in 2022 and actively promoted, but they had more streams during their relatively quiet 2023.

The impact of their tour perhaps? Coachella? I was going to leave this alone, but I'm curious what other chart nerds think.

• Why would this be surprising? Born pink came out in mid September last year that was roughly only 3 or so months of tracking.

Ofc this would be the biggest year? If 2024 was bigger than 2023 then you can be confused but 2023 being more than 2022 is expected behavior considering tracking time.

• Why would this be surprising? Born pink came out in mid September last year that was roughly only 3 or so months of tracking.

Ofc this would be the biggest year? If 2024 was bigger than 2023 then you can be confused but 2023 being more than 2022 is expected behavior considering tracking time.

My chaotic brain convinced me that they dropped their album in July/August for some reason :pepe-cringe:

My textbook demo on how not to interpret basic data aside, this is an interesting factoid.

If I'm bored enough, maybe I'll kill some time unpacking all the numbers behind the numbers we all post and gloat about to prop up our favs

• blackpink didn't release an album this year. maybe their global popularity increased we don't know. i'm sure world tour helped as well. spotify is also increasing it's users and streams while youtube it is decreasing.

• BlackPink were on tour and Spotify in Asia especially SEA is rapidly growing

This isn't just a BP thing though. There are artists who are reaching new peaks every year despite not releasing anything in years (Rihanna)

• BlackPink were on tour and Spotify in Asia especially SEA is rapidly growing

This isn't just a BP thing though. There are artists who are reaching new peaks every year despite not releasing anything in years (Rihanna)

Now that is news to me. I don't keep track of Spotify's data trends or its regional growth, but that does make a lot of sense.

The point about Rihanna is interesting too. I'm curious what drives those peaks.

• Now that is news to me. I don't keep track of Spotify's data trends or its regional growth, but that does make a lot of sense.

The point about Rihanna is interesting too. I'm curious what drives those peaks.

Yea, it's been widely reported by Billboard and other music outlets that people prefer to listen to catalog music (basically albums older than 18 months) than new music.

Back in July, Michael Jackson gained over a billion streams in the US alone. In 2023

It's a weird phenomenon

• Because of the very long contract negotiations and the question about the future of the members and their members, all eyes are on BLACKPINK. This influences a lot of attention, more people hearing about BLACKPINK, a lot of curiosity and a lot of interest.

Maybe this is even a new market strategy from YG - after by far the longest world tour by a girl group, just as YG absolutely wanted - and the continued existence of BLACKPINK has long been certain.

In addition, BLACKPINK has many times more songs that are streamed than NewJeans.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!