Korean Music Critics select the Greatest Singer of Our Time, showing how out of touch older Koreans are with KPop

• 음악 평론가 선정 '최고 가수'는 '가왕' 조용필
    임진모·김도헌·정민재 등 평론가 39명 참여 2위 이미자·3위 김광석·4위 나훈아…5위에 아이유 눈길 대중음악평론가 39명이 선정한 '우리 시대 최고 가수'로 '가왕' 조용필이 꼽혔다. 8일 임진모 평론가의 소속사이
    entertain-naver-com.translate.goog

39 Korean music critics selected the greatest singer of our time.

10 Lim Jaebum, who has not promoted for 10 plus years

8. Lena Park, no new hits for who knows how long and not even a Korean

8(tie) Lee Seungchul. No new hits for quite a while

Tied at 6 - Lee Sora and Kim Gunmo, whose better days are long gone

5 IU

4. Na Hoonah, in 70s

3. Kim Kwangsuk, deceased

2. Lee Mija, in 80s

1. Cho Yongpil, in 70s

In other words, this bunch of music critics, who direct the opinion of popular music among those who are older and better learned, rank the old relics, has beens and a corpse for "The Greatest Singer of Our Time".

Such are where the 'Opinion Leaders" of Korea stands at, simply ignoring idols outright.

IU was ranked at #5, but since #1-4 are not likely to release a relevant song now, she is effectively at #1.

These music critics do not see all the achievements of the KPop acts.

Which is why the older gen of Koreans are not likely to support KPop no matter how much success it might bring.

• This is happening worldwide. Old people still hanging around their jobs (music critics, judges, ministers etc) and they still want to impose their old fashioned thinking and values to the current system. I don’t understand why retired age is not strongly reinforced.. like they can be advisors but not decision makers. Because their decision as will impact younger generations (these old fogies might not live long enough to experience the impact)

Ok this is not that critical for music critiques but just have to get this off my chest because I’m tired of seeing old old politicians lol

• This is happening worldwide. Old people still hanging around their jobs (music critics, judges, ministers etc) and they still want to impose their old fashioned thinking and values to the current system. I don’t understand why retired age is not strongly reinforced.. like they can be advisors but not decision makers. Because their decision as will impact younger generations (these old fogies might not live long enough to experience the impact)

Ok this is not that critical for music critiques but just have to get this off my chest because I’m tired of seeing old old politicians lol

It also is affected by the Confucian tradition of 'honoring the old', so older people still have authority and younger challengers find it very hard to break such cartels

• Maybe those music critics dont see the achievements of Kpop acts because those achievements have nothing to do with singing or vocal ability.

If i wouldnt be familiar with Kpop and then see how Kpop ignored good singer like hyolyn but promote new younger but mediocre singer as the non plus ultra i couldnt take Kpop serious too. I would think they are kidding me.

Apparently these people don't listen to the newer songs, and still push the singers they knew about, including Lee Jieun who never lost a chance to placate the older singers

• If a similar thing was done in Western music, I can guarantee the list would be much more heavy weighted towards Michael, Whitney, Prince, Elvis and Madonna than Bieber, Olivia, Billie and Cardi.

Theres nothing to see here except another dull WhyKnock rant

It would probably include an old country singer too and an R&B relic like Aretha Franklin too

• It would probably include an old country singer too and an R&B relic like Aretha Franklin too

You are so ridiculously full of shit you might as well be called OutHouse

Of COURSE Aretha Franklin would be on a list of greatest singers of our time. She is legend, not a relic. Much of modern pop music (and by extension, k-pop) would not exist if not for her and artists like her.

Why the hell wouldn't she be recognised over some flash in the pan newbie?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!