Grammys started fire fighting and damage control?

• Ben Winston, the producer of Grammys, said this in his Variety interview about BTS. I find it very interesting how he is almost defensive especially the ending. What story do you think he is talking about Armys? And what do you think is going to be the situation in the next Grammys seeing that the Recording Academy and the higher ups are aware of this backlash.

You said before the show that all of the performers would have to “come to us,” meaning the convention center — and BTS, who recorded their performance in Korea on a set made to look exactly like yours, came up with an innovative way to stick to that rule.

I don’t know how much they want me to say about this, because it’s down to [COVID-era] immigration and things like that, but yes, the idea was that everybody was going to come to L.A. But with certain artists, as the day got nearer — and I’m talking very near — we realized that not all of them were going to be able to come. That didn’t mean that we didn’t want them on the show, so we had a decision to make, but it wasn’t always 100% that they we going to be in Korea. There’s a story there that I’m not sure I’m allowed to go into, but ultimately we realized that they weren’t going to be able to come, and although we were hugely ambitious in terms of what we tried, I was always very aware of the safety of people traveling and of how many people would be coming — and they don’t travel lightly! (laughs) — and I never wanted to be the reason that anybody took risks they shouldn’t have taken, and that is ultimately more important than a TV show.

So about four months ago, we booked BTS for “The Late Late Show,” and they didn’t tell what they were gonna do — they just said, “We’re gonna film a performance in Korea and we think you’ll like it.” And what arrived in my email was one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen in my life. They recreated, brick for brick, our entire set: James’ area where he does hie interviews, the performance, space, the signage outdoors — and we hadn’t sent them anything! We didn’t even know it was happening. And so, when I was talking to their amazing team — and I think BTS and their team are up the with the most talented people in the world — I said, “Is there any way you could do what you did for the ‘Late Late Show,’ and our viewers will think you’re there but then you’ll open the doors and be in Seoul.” And it was absolutely amazing: Within five or six days they sent me a photo of our set in Korea, and I just couldn’t believe the attention to detail. Because that way, it’s not like they were sending in a music video, which I really didn’t want to do — and if you look at it, they’re singing live and it’s all shot in one go, I think there’s only one cut in it, so they even bought into the concept of what we were trying to do. I thought their performance was sensational and I think they were really happy to do it — all the messages I’ve gotten from the group have been really happy. I love them — I’m a proper BTS fan.

Source

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Updated, ETA his new Rolling Stone IV -

First he says 1 cut, now he says no cut cause Armys assumed Grammys cut their performNce short...hmm

IMG_20210320_094802.jpgIMG_20210320_094806.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by paradis ().

• But when we actually think carefully they really pulled off this very well.

Like going to the roof top while singing live and then perform there is not something easy, but they made it look so naturally.

BTS and the entire team is committed to the craft and They monitor every single detail.

• He should shut tf up already. The more I read about this, the more mad I am. Like that part about they got less than one week to recreate grammy stage and all in this pandemic. ben, grammy has been postponed for months for goodness sake.

• Let us review: They built the set in FIVE DAYS? They recreated the whole Grammy set in FIVE DAYS? Imagine being the poor set artists being told "Hey, so we've decided you have ONLY FIVE DAYS to completely recreate a stage the Grammys have been literally working on for months! Surprise!" But this is BTS, so they get it done.

"The performance was sensational" ... but y'all didn't give them a PERFORMANCE award. This is why people are calling the grammys racist. Praise the best performers in the world, the ones whose team go all-out, then award the white-bread option.

• Were are you all people taking that the Grammys forced BHs team to prepare the stage set in five days??? Because this is absolutely not what the text says. Ben only says that he proposed them the idea of recreating the set and five or six days letters they sent them a photo of what they had prepared. There is no "we told them they only had 5 days to do it" anywhere.

If you want to be mad at the Grammys for not awarding BTS (as they shoudl, we all agree on that) or for the performance being too short, be mad at that. But don't fabricate injuries that don't exist just to add more fuel to your rage.

• They probably wanted BTS to come along, sit in that tea garden with other celebrities, and keep the attention alive by focusing the camera on them every two seconds. But they couldn't do this because BTS couldn't come lol

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• What I will say we should remember, in spite of being righteously angry, is that the people in charge of production are not the same as the voting committee.

They knew- rightly- that teasing BTS’ performance was the best way to keep viewers hanging on, and it’s their job to do that so... it’s infuriating, but I get it. I AM mad at them for having that knowledge though and not even giving them the chance to do the whole song. If they’re that big a draw, give them their due time.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!