[NB] American card company apologizes for racist portrayal of BTS

• What part of that image was funny?

And if it wasn’t racist then why weren’t all the other music acts portrayed that way so we know they were being treated equally??

And if you mean to say only winners were covered, then why weren’t lady Gaga and Ariana featured instead of BTS as they were the actual winners of that category and two of the biggest acts too :whatr:

Have you never seen satire from comics like the mad magazine? This shit has never been funny to me, but their seems to be some kind of market for that.

• How is it not satire? Think back 10 years ago and replace BTS with One Direction. Where is the racism? This is just another case of totally crazy armys abusing their power online. Topps has nothing to apologize to. Removing the card because of the current events is the right thing to do, which they did.

bts are asians and foreigners and one direction are white, english men. how can you compare them?

• How is it not satire? Think back 10 years ago and replace BTS with One Direction. Where is the racism? This is just another case of totally crazy armys abusing their power online. Topps has nothing to apologize to. Removing the card because of the current events is the right thing to do, which they did.

and? it still wouldn't be funny. no matter what was happening right now, making those cards still wouldn't be okay. wtf is your problem? is violence funny to you?

• i'm all for satire but what exactly was funny in the photo? posting a photo like this in today's climate was irresponsible, especially on the day when asians people got killed by a lunatic. okay, you made those cards but you don't have to publish them. read the room.

The cards have been made available on the same day as the shooting. Harsh to blame them considering the cards were created beforehand and the upload was very likely done automatically.

• The cards have been made available on the same day as the shooting. Harsh to blame them considering the cards were created beforehand and the upload was very likely done automatically.

it was in poor taste to make them in the first place, but after the shooting happened they should have pulled them themselves and not wait for the backlash to do it.

• and? it still wouldn't be funny. no matter what was happening right now, making those cards still wouldn't be okay. wtf is your problem? is violence funny to you?

Are you serious? It's satire consisting of the grammy award being used as a hammer in a whac-a-mole game. The members of BTS are the moles that are getting hit by the hammer like in the game. Since when does whac-a-mole has anything to do with violence? It's like saying we should ban Pokemon because Pikachu uses thunderbolt on Ash in every 2nd episode. Oohh how violent this kids show is.

Edited once, last by Whygeee ().

• The cards have been made available on the same day as the shooting. Harsh to blame them considering the cards were created beforehand and the upload was very likely done automatically.

Still in poor taste considering violence against Asians has been on a massive increase for a while now. Whatever commentary they wanted to say could have been illustrated in a different way from this.

• Still in poor taste considering violence against Asians has been on a massive increase for a while now. Whatever commentary they wanted to say could have been illustrated in a different way from this.

I agree. I just don't get the racism accussations.

• Are you serious? It's satire consisting of the grammy award being used as a hammer in a whac-a-mole game. The members of BTS are the moles that are getting hit by the hammer like in the game. Since when does whac-a-mole has anything to do with violence? It's like saying we should ban Pokemon because Pikachu uses thunderbolt on Ash in every 2nd episode. Oohh how violent this kids show is.

the issue here are stitches and bruises, couldn't they draw them without it? in times when anti east asian violence is on the rise somebody thought it would be fun to draw them like this.

• Have you never seen satire from comics like the mad magazine? This shit has never been funny to me, but their seems to be some kind of market for that.

Yes I do. I enjoyed reading some back in school. Don’t remember if they ever portrayed a bunch of Asians and Americans with the Asians being beaten up though :whatr:

And since even you don’t find that funny why do you still wanna push that idea down people’s throats that it was comedy? This was a racial humor and you’ll be blind to not see anything wrong with that image up there

Imagine if that image was Megan among the rest of the white acts. The black community would have cancelled TOPPS already because that image in anyway is sensitive and offensive

• Because my opinion is not decisive for what counts as satire or comedy.

• Imagine if that image was Meghan among the rest of the white acts. The black community would have cancelled TOPPS already because that image is sensitive and offensive

first, **megan, second, there could've been a different way to say this because it sounds like you're trying to say they only care when it's black people which is not true.

• first, **megan, second, there could've been a different way to say this because it sounds like you're trying to say they only care when it's black people which is not true.

it's maybe rude to word it like that but that happens tho.

just yesterday when we talked about grammys mistreatment of bts a user said "grammys didn't use bts; them not rewarding bts isn't due to racism, they rewarded black artists".

a week ago we had black kpop fans acting racist towards asians; another black kpop fan (who was a minor, bless her heart) told them to stop being racist; they told her poc cannot be racist towards poc, called asians model minority and privileged, and straight up said they don't care about hate crimes against asians. i can link you the tweets but they are hard to listen to.

i'd like to find their profiles now (they changed their urls) and see what they have to say.

american gp isn't really that invested in asian crimes.

• It's not even racism. They only apologized because of the crazy fucked up shit armys pull. It's surely bad timing from Topps but overall it's simple satire.

They have a right to put it out, but have to know that they would be getting criticized. Especially with the rise in violence against Asians. Either own it and don’t apologize, or put out a serious apology. Don’t do this half-assed crap.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!