[NB] American card company apologizes for racist portrayal of BTS

• 20210318000628_0_20210318121825976.jpg

Article: BTS, bruised and hurt by whac-a-mole game... American card company under controversy

Source: Herald Economy via Naver

1. [+1,009, -17] I respect that there's a freedom of expression allowed in art but I can't shake the feeling that something very cruel and abnormal was portrayed in this image. It has been over 20 years since we've entered the 21st century and it doesn't feel right that such outdated ideas are being expressed as art still.

2. [+556, -30] How is the US still considered a developed country? This is so barbaric.

3. [+281, -25] The fact that they're so jealous of BTS means they've already lost. This card company has shown the entire world how pathetic they are and they will pay the price for messing with a group like BTS.

4. [+165, -6] Why?? Were they shaking in their boots in case BTS won?? Did they feel that threatened by BTS?? Tsk tsk.

5. [+105, -4] At a time when Asians are under threat because of the virus, it feels wrong that such a piece of art was put out ㅡ.ㅡ I'm curious as to their true intentions.. ㅡ.ㅡ

6. [+45, -4] The US no longer feels so amazing to me anymore. They're only rich because they have a lot of land. They no longer represent the standards of a developed country.

7. [+41, -0] You can also tell they were discriminating by naming the other artists but just writing 'K-Pop' for 'BTS' ㅋㅋ

8. [+36, -2] BTS has overcome all this racism to make it to the Grammys.. I hope the Korean media gives them the treatment that they're due. I support BTS 👍

9. [+21, -0] Anyone can tell from looking at the image that they're being discriminatory to BTS in a cheap way. They should be embarrassed, tsk tsk.

10. [+16, -0] After the pandemic happened, I've lost all respect I used to have for the US and Europe. I used to assume everyone there was smart but they're actually so barbaric...

-

0003086184_002_20210318211912566.jpg

Article: American card company eventually issues apology over BTS being whac-a-mole

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Naver

1. [+344, -9] Why is racism so rampant in the US?? What makes them think they're so better than everyone else!!! It's so frustrating.. Do they think pretending to beat someone and then apologizing makes it go away? They meant to antagonize people.

2. [+170, -2] It doesn't sound like an apology... more like "We see that you guys are very mad over this image so we will stop selling it." I don't think they recognize that this is racist and where the criticisms are coming from.

3. [+103, -12] They messed with the wrong group~ I don't think they know what Armies can do

4. [+81, -1] Anyone can tell that this was intentionally racist

5. [+55, -3] They're crazy for this

Source

• pearl-i

Changed the title of the thread from “American card company apologizes for racist portrayal of BTS” to “[NB] American card company apologizes for racist portrayal of BTS”.
  • Is this an apology?? Doesn't sound like one.. :///

+

4. [+81, -1] Anyone can tell that this was intentionally racist

Agreed. It feels like they already had this idea it their mind....

• The way the apology is written .

Consumers are not upset.

People are uncomfortable with the portrayal of an asain group in such a way.

• It's pretty sad to see people around the world become disillusioned with the U.S. once they see the shitty things we do. They're right though. We're "the greatest country in the world" because of imperialism and exploiting other countries. It's only expected that we have racist mindsets. I hope things change in the future though. It's so hypocritical to call countries whose resources we've extracted 3rd world and underdeveloped while being so far behind when it comes to things like racism, violence, and mental health.

• Official Post

What kind of apology is that though....? They didn't acknowledge the the racist undertones in that picture, didn't acknowledge their mistakes or anything. It's basically like "We're sorry our consumers are upset", and acting like they did nothing wrong. The picture was very unnecessary and tone-deaf, especially during a time where discrimination against Asians is at it's highest.

And tbh, I'm actually glad that so many people are realizing the U.S isn't some Holy Land after all. It was about time, many people come here looking for a better life, but have to deal with terrible things like violence, racism, and politics. And I'm saying this as someone who lives in America, it's not as good as some people(mainly the government) make it out to be.

• Topps seriously did y'all NOT learn from the Pail Kids cards you made with black stereotypes ? ???

I thought Topps was savvier. I guess not. They should stick to sports.

Knowing how deep the concept of race and racism (which isn't really that deep) is engrained into minds, it's bound to show up again and again in some way or form.

• that apology is bs. They're only apologizing because their customers are upset. They didn't even care that they made this tasteless caricature during the time that the hate crime against asians is very high.

Boredom brought me here.

• What’s this picture? :eyes: :|

Also the apology “we feel sorry that you felt upset” lol

I don’t know the intention behind this, but at the current time we are in, this could and probably was perceived racist. Very insensitive.

• It's not even racism. They only apologized because of the crazy fucked up shit armys pull. It's surely bad timing from Topps but overall it's simple satire.

What part of that image was funny?

And if it wasn’t racist then why weren’t all the other music acts portrayed that way so we know they were being treated equally??

And if you mean to say only winners were covered, then why weren’t lady Gaga and Ariana featured instead of BTS as they were the actual winners of that category and two of the biggest acts too :whatr:

• hello???? it's not satire.

How is it not satire? Think back 10 years ago and replace BTS with One Direction. Where is the racism? This is just another case of totally crazy armys abusing their power online. Topps has nothing to apologize to. Removing the card because of the current events is the right thing to do, which they did.

• It's not even racism. They only apologized because of the crazy fucked up shit armys pull. It's surely bad timing from Topps but overall it's simple satire.

i'm all for satire but what exactly was funny in the photo? posting a photo like this in today's climate was irresponsible, especially on the day when asians people got killed by a lunatic. okay, you made those cards but you don't have to publish them. read the room.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!