Kpop and Kdrama Are Too Big

• Both Korean pop and Korean dramas have gotten too big for my taste.

Everything is too slick. Too put together. Too big of budgets. Too much polish. Too global.

I miss when kpop was smaller and more niche Asia. I miss when it really felt like a "different world". Not integrated seamlessly into the international music scene and its ubiquity.

I miss when it overall felt less refined. More amateurish or small time in a way.

In Kdramas.. I miss when they were closer to their "Korean soaps" roots. Not so big and international and auteur. Not so slick and high budget and Korean Hollywood like.

I think both Kpop and Kdrama have lost a certain charm in the transition to larger international and Western exposure.

Global expansion and growth is the central motivation of Hallyu Proper. So in a sense I am arguing against its entire purpose.

It's the confounding conundrum as I see it.

Like a small local store that often loses something when they expand and grow to become a powerhouse national or multinational chain.

You can't at once be the big player while hanging on to that smaller ethos.

You have to shed one to become the other.

Anyway.

I'm not going anywhere. I still love this world too much despite my misgivings.

Just the musings of an old fan. Who often yearns for older times. And that older feeling.

Maybe it will come back someday. If the wave resides a bit.

• I miss when kpop was smaller and more niche Asia. I miss when it really felt like a "different world". Not integrated seamlessly into the international music scene and its ubiquity.

I think you should pay more attention to the nugu group many keep a less international side. I think they would suit you better and allow you to regain some of the things you once loved.

• I mean tbh it used to be obnoxiously bad then it got good in between while it was rising. The best of everything. And now it’s a bit too perfect but it’s certainly better than whatever it was pre 2013/14. Those were the worst of times..

I actually like many of the aspects of 2nd generation. And quite a few gems from 1st gen.

If I could get a hybrid of 2nd gen and early 3rd that would be the sweet spot for me.

• I think you should pay more attention to the nugu group many keep a less international side. I think they would suit you better and allow you to regain some of the things you once loved.

Thanks. I know it's just hard because they often have less exposure and there aren't that many people to talk about them on here. And half the fun is engaging with fans on here.

Any recs?

• Any recs?

There are so many bands it's hard to say but given what you listen to I think the band that would suit you best is : Woo!ah

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Otherwise there are also others like Class:y, Alice in particular Rocket Punch, Tri:be can also maybe suit your taste :/

• There are so many bands it's hard to say but given what you listen to I think the band that would suit you best is : Woo!ah

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Otherwise there are also others like Class:y, Alice in particular Rocket Punch, Tri:be can also maybe suit your taste :/

Funny you should say that.

I'm actually a WOO!AH! stan already haha. See my signature!

They are a gem. I hope Nana comes back and we can get another comeback.

I love some of ROCKET PUNCH too! Lilac... Oh such a beautiful song

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!