Tipping culture is slowly starting to spread in restaurants, and Koreans are wary

• Tipping culture is slowly starting to spread in restaurants, and Koreans are wary

NISI20230711_0001312144_web_20230711112729_20230711135210029.jpg

Article: "There was a 'tip box' at a Korean cafe after I paid for my drink full price"

Source: Insight via Instagram

[+4,398] Please don't start this, guys. Tip culture is already a controversial topic in the US, there's no need for us to be copying these practices.

[+3,716] Please don't start this... The US practices tip culture and are being met with big problems like tips being asked for everything, even for your own takeout. We need to expect business owners to pay their employees fair wages instead of passing that responsibility on to the customer.

[+2,062] I will be reporting any restaurant with a tip box for tax evasion from now on

[+2,013] It's not like we're the US where employees are paid in tips and not wages? Why would Korean staff need a tip box when they're paid fair wages? We better cut this at the roots before the practice becomes the norm here, too.

[+1,395] Get out of here with this tip stuff ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Minimum wage is nearly 10,000 won here, what tip do you need ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ ridiculous

[+312] And I will be reporting all of you for tax evasion ㅡㅡ

[+316] Tip culture is practiced in the US because they don't get paid a wage there. This system has no place in our country. Just report any restaurant you see doing this ㅋㅋ

[+409] What a joke, you'd have to be crazy to expect a tip here

[+928] What is this, a joke? ㅋㅋㅋ This is not the US, this is Korea ㅋㅋㅋ

[+1] Even Americans hate on tip culture for being stupid, why would you bring that practice over here ㅋㅋ

img_20230710135441_q08n65e3.webp

http://netizenbuzz.bl0gspot.com/2023/07/tipping-culture-is-slowly-starting-to.html

• Oh boy they are really kind of took what they've seen i US movies or some news and they think it's like that in the whole world...

Actually here in Poland and I believe in most Slavic countries the workers in restaurant get their regular pay, then they get some money for overtime, and that tip is like a bonus for them... Basically let's say you felt treated nicely, you liked the food then you will put 2 euro or 5 euro or some bill in that jar, or you would just put more money inside that small booklet/box in which the waiter will bring you a "check"

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• tipping culture is WACK! the fact that companies don't pay their employers enough and they have to rely on tips from customers who ALREADY paid for their service (whether it's food etc) is so backward.

except it's not only sit down restaurants that are soliciting for tips...you got coffee shops, fast casuals, and others where their employees are already making $15+/hr.

• Yes tip culture is bullshit, especially here people get paid a real living wage. There's absolutely no need for this crap. Yes I would totally agree to the pettiness of reporting restaurants doing this. It's actually against the law to put that on menus. The law requires that the total fee for a service or item be placed on the menu no hidden fees or additional add-ons. So yes report for tax evasion

• Tipping in the U.S. is NOT a replacement for an employee's wages. Tops are given as a way for customers to show their appreciation for good service, IF good service was provided. Tips are given to staff IN ADDITION to their wages and is voluntary for customers and patrons, not forced or mandatory. Patrons and customers are NOT obligated to give anyone a tip. Again, tips are given in ADDITION to wages and are only given as a notion of appreciaion of good service....although I do believe that good service should be standard.

• Tipping in the U.S. is NOT a replacement for an employee's wages. Tops are given as a way for customers to show their appreciation for good service, IF good service was provided. Tips are given to staff IN ADDITION to their wages and is voluntary for customers and patrons, not forced or mandatory. Patrons and customers are NOT obligated to give anyone a tip. Again, tips are given in ADDITION to wages and are only given as a notion of appreciaion of good service....although I do believe that good service should be standard.

Tipping is a replacement for employee wages. Restaurant owners can pay way less than the standard minimum wage ($7) so long as the tips reported can supplement the minimum wage amount they should be getting. In some states restaurants are allowed to pay as low as $2

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

6132d756b0e360d7f0e2a150433f78a825286b3e.webp

• Tipping is a replacement for employee wages. Restaurant owners can pay way less than the standard minimum wage ($7) so long as the tips reported can supplement the minimum wage amount they should be getting. In some states restaurants are allowed to pay as low as $2

That would go against the law. I am American, and I'm explaining this to you to provide clarity. Tips are not substituted for wages and that practice doesn't even exist here in the US. All staff, whether or not they're in hospitality, is REQUIRED a wage. Any restauarant paying that low would've been shut down. Tips are an optional addition to wages given to staff by customers, NOT a replacement as you're stating here. Yes, its true that some restaurants and other forms of hospitality may or may not pay its staff higher wages, and this is why the garnering of tips are heavily valued among staff in the hospitality industry, but tips are not given to staff in place of wages, regardless of how low the wages are. That is a fact. Tips are an optional gesture from customers and patrons, and are solely dependent upon how well the service was. The better the service, the higher the tip....generally. And such it is for poor service.

Also, people who earn the lower end of the minimum wage in this country are paid based on the minimum wage in their state. Each state's minimum wage is different. The lowest minimum wage is $5.50, and that is in the two states of Georgia and Wyoming. Puerto Rico (a somewhat newer addition to the US as a state) will be paid $10.50 starting this year, and other areas, like New York City (which is where I am) pays $15.00. However, as I have stated more than once, me being an Anerican speaking on American "tip culture", tipping is optional. For the last time, the tips DO NOT come from restaurants, they come from customers and patrons. They are NOT mandatory for customers and patrons to give, and they are NOT given in place of wages. They are an addition to the wages that a staff person gets, and they are given solely based on the level of service. We tip based on these factors: Did they get my order right? Were they friendly and courteous? Did they seem as though they cared about my experience at their restaurant and would like for me to come back? If a person has a good experience at your restaurant, they will tip you well, they will tell everyone how great your resraurant is, and they will return...sometimes with more people so that others can enjoy your restaurant too. Its how we show gratitude for great service. We don't mind giving you extra money EVEN WHEN YOU'RE GETTING A PAYCHECK when you give great service.

And for the record, the United States is NOT the only country that requests a gratuity charge (tip). Some other countries that practice tipping today are for example, a few African countries such as Jordan and Morocco. Outside of Africa, there's The United Kingdom (the UK is England Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Vietnam, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Italy, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, France, and Poland. Tipping culture is not an American "thing", especially when it literally exists around the world. Here's the link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news…-most-2023-213725138.html

• That would go against the law. I am American, and I'm explaining this to you to provide clarity. Tips are not substituted for wages and that practice doesn't even exist here in the US. All staff, whether or not they're in hospitality, is REQUIRED a wage. Any restauarant paying that low would've been shut down. Tips are an optional addition to wages given to staff by customers, NOT a replacement as you're stating here. Yes, its true that some restaurants and other forms of hospitality may or may not pay its staff higher wages, and this is why the garnering of tips are heavily valued among staff in the hospitality industry, but tips are not given to staff in place of wages, regardless of how low the wages are. That is a fact. Tips are an optional gesture from customers and patrons, and are solely dependent upon how well the service was. The better the service, the higher the tip....generally. And such it is for poor service.

Also, people who earn the lower end of the minimum wage in this country are paid based on the minimum wage in their state. Each state's minimum wage is different. The lowest minimum wage is $5.50, and that is in the two states of Georgia and Wyoming. Puerto Rico (a somewhat newer addition to the US as a state) will be paid $10.50 starting this year, and other areas, like New York City (which is where I am) pays $15.00. However, as I have stated more than once, me being an Anerican speaking on American "tip culture", tipping is optional. For the last time, the tips DO NOT come from restaurants, they come from customers and patrons. They are NOT mandatory for customers and patrons to give, and they are NOT given in place of wages. They are an addition to the wages that a staff person gets, and they are given solely based on the level of service. We tip based on these factors: Did they get my order right? Were they friendly and courteous? Did they seem as though they cared about my experience at their restaurant and would like for me to come back? If a person has a good experience at your restaurant, they will tip you well, they will tell everyone how great your resraurant is, and they will return...sometimes with more people so that others can enjoy your restaurant too. Its how we show gratitude for great service. We don't mind giving you extra money EVEN WHEN YOU'RE GETTING A PAYCHECK when you give great service.

And for the record, the United States is NOT the only country that requests a gratuity charge (tip). Some other countries that practice tipping today are for example, a few African countries such as Jordan and Morocco. Outside of Africa, there's The United Kingdom (the UK is England Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), Vietnam, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Italy, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, France, and Poland. Tipping culture is not an American "thing", especially when it literally exists around the world. Here's the link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news…-most-2023-213725138.html

It depends on the state, but restaurants absolutely can pay less than minimum wage. If the amount an employee makes in tips equals out to minimum wage or higher, a restaurant can pay as low as like $2 an hour.

I was a busser in high school, they legally did not pay me a normal minimum wage. And a lot of employees like it that way because they'll make more with tips.

• That would go against the law. I am American, and I'm explaining this to you to provide clarity. Tips are not substituted for wages and that practice doesn't even exist here in the US. All staff, whether or not they're in hospitality, is REQUIRED a wage. Any restauarant paying that low would've been shut down. Tips are an optional addition to wages given to staff by customers, NOT a replacement as you're stating here. Yes, its true that some restaurants and other forms of hospitality may or may not pay its staff higher wages, and this is why the garnering of tips are heavily valued among staff in the hospitality industry, but tips are not given to staff in place of wages, regardless of how low the wages are. That is a fact. Tips are an optional gesture from customers and patrons, and are solely dependent upon how well the service was. The better the service, the higher the tip....generally. And such it is for poor service.

Being American does not make you an expert. Establishments can absolutely pay less than state minimum wage. There is an even lower minimum wage for service industry workers which is 2.13/hr. This means that the service industry can pay their workers service industry minimum wage if their tip total meets at least state minimum wage and that total is more than $30 for the month. If not, the restaurant must make it up to ensure their workers are paid at least state minimum wage. As you can see, tips are indeed used as a replacement - not an "extra".

Now there has been backlash against this and certain states/parts of states have enacted different laws to address this, but by and large this is how it works because the restaurant lobby exists as a powerful body against this.

I'm American too by the way

I'm also American and I'm telling you that's not how it works

The minimum wage for most work is around $7

The minimum wage for tipped workers is $2 so long as they make enough to through tips to meet the normal federal minimum wage. If it falls below, only then does the employer pay out the difference. Mind you, minimum wage is far below what most jobs are paying nowadays and is not liveable

Minimum Wage for Tipped Employees by State
    Stay informed on the latest changes to minimum wage requirements for tipped employees by state. Learn about labor laws, tip credits, and compliance to ensure…
    www.cavuhcm.com

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

6132d756b0e360d7f0e2a150433f78a825286b3e.webp

Edited 2 times, last by DaisyTheGenuine: Wrong link ().

• 0ppar Recently, I read online that tipping is considered rude in Japan. Do you know if tipping is common in Japan nowadays?

no it is not. I've only encountered a handful of restaurants that add a tip to your bill and those were michelin starred restaurants.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!