The chasm between the singers internationally known and the singers the locals like - USA and K-O-R-E-A

• In Oct 2020 CBS aired this clip

CBS.jpg?w=666&ssl=1

People who voted Democrat in 2020 tended to support Taylor Swift , BTS and Bad Bunny

People who voted Republican in 2020 tended to support Turnpike Troubadours, Zach Bryan and Casey Donahew, names which would be alien to KPop fans like the names of Lim Youngwoong, Youngtak or Jeong Dongwon.

Whatever your opinion on US politics, it is true that if we go to the 'heartland' of America the people tend to support genres of music not usually known outside of these zones.

Garth Brooks, probably the most successful country singer in USA, still has no youtube channel to this day, and although he sold a lot of albums in USA even now he and other country singers famous in USA are less known outside of it.

===

In USA, although there are exceptions like Taylor Swift who started as a country singer and moved to pop, generally the pop/rock/rap genre and the country genre keep apart and do not interfere against each other.

But, n K-O-R-E-A, because of the habit of Melon Dumping everyone into the same vat, trottists like Lim Youngwoong often clash with the KPoppers.

I have not heard people like Garth Brooks or other country/adult contemporary/some other genres popular only in central USA competing against Taylor Swift, BTS and Bad Bunny, but in Korea the greatest domesticst of all, IU/Lee Jieun/whatever she feels calling herself in any given day and the pesky trottists harass KPop acts every time they can.

Because of the bizarre distinction of not keeping the domesticists, the trottists and the KPoppers who are the only relevant genre as far as the world is concerned separate, Lee Jieun did become the best well known domesticist in the history of pop since although she didn't give a crap outside of K-O-R-E-A, because she fought so many KPop acts , the singer who can't sell out an arena outside of K-O-R-E-A is held in the same, or probably higher, esteem in K-O-R-E-A than BTS, BlackPink and Twice, the three most successful KPop acts in the world at the time of writing.

Fortunately Spotify is putting an end to the antics of the domesticists, and also Tiktok whose users have no time for such domesticists, but it will take a long time for the K-O-R-E-A-N-S to separate these domesticists from rankings, unlike the Americans who are so divided that those who support Taylor Swift, BTS and Bad Bunny have no time for people like Turnpike Troubadours ,etc and vice versa.

• I’ve heard of Garth Brooks, he’s a huge country singer in the US and I remember watching an award show where he swept a lot of awards (but I can’t remember which award and which year lol). And currently in the US there’s a country singer who were topping the charts and competing with Taylor Swift - Morgan Whalien. His album sales are huge and so are his streams.

1D912B07-9780-44FF-AE0E-C6C2B99FBE62.jpg

*Ok I admit, I just want to post this lol

• I’ve heard of Garth Brooks, he’s a huge country singer in the US and I remember watching an award show where he swept a lot of awards (but I can’t remember which award and which year lol). And currently in the US there’s a country singer who were topping the charts and competing with Taylor Swift - Morgan Whalien. His album sales are huge and so are his streams.

I love that Morgan Wallen autocorrected to Morgan Whalien, you’re a true army haha

• I'm American and I have no idea who any of those "red state" artists are. That said, the US also has one main (Billboard) chart that combines artists of all genres, in addition to genre-specific categories, so it's not just Korea that does it this way, so I'm not sure where you're going with all this.

Wallen is 3 days older than KPop's Senior Singer, and he will have a one day concert at Sofi. His clientele are in the regions with huge college football stadiums and he wouldn't miss those who are likely to cheer for BTS and I doubt he loses any sleep over BTS or other KPop figures.

That aside he is not aiming for world domination or American domination, just sticking to his fanbase who are very unlikely to listen to KPop even once

• I’ve always wanted BTS to do a collab with Dolly Parton. A country trot song would be perfect. It would take over the world :yesr:

BTS' music are not country style.

In the old days, some Koreans who followed folk music did some country-ish style music but now the chasm is too great. There is a small country fandom in Korea, but too small to matter and anyone in korea who is likely to follow country music will probably listen to trot.

• I'm American and I have no idea who any of those "red state" artists are. That said, the US also has one main (Billboard) chart that combines artists of all genres, in addition to genre-specific categories, so it's not just Korea that does it this way, so I'm not sure where you're going with all this.

In USA the pop artists and the country artists , other than Taylor Swift, mostly keep themselves apart and hardly mix at all. In K-O-R-E-A it is free for all, partly because it is a smaller country.

• Great idea. They did have some positive interaction a while back, so who knows.

Also, had no idea there was this big a divide in the USA

Yes, it is very big. There are large sections in USA which never heard about KPop and do not give a crap about it.

• In USA the pop artists and the country artists , other than Taylor Swift, mostly keep themselves apart and hardly mix at all. In K-O-R-E-A it is free for all, partly because it is a smaller country.

They may not compete for the same listeners, but they compete on the charts all the same. Country artists get their own secondary, genre-specific chart, but if they can't garner enough attention to place on the Hot 100, that's their problem. You seem to think it's a popular genre domestically. It's not. It's a niche genre with a particular audience, and then everyone else who couldn't care less, just like trot.

• They may not compete for the same listeners, but they compete on the charts all the same. Country artists get their own secondary, genre-specific chart, but if they can't garner enough attention to place on the Hot 100, that's their problem. You seem to think it's a popular genre domestically. It's not. It's a niche genre with a particular audience, and then everyone else who couldn't care less, just like trot.

Until recently the countries stayed in their own turf and did not venture out.

I am sure the execs at least read about what is happening in K-O-R-E-A and felt confident that they could score victories against the Pop/KPop crowds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!