I wish kpop concerts were more enjoyable for all ages

• I just went to NCT 127 last night and had a great time but wish I could have enjoyed it even more. This was my first kpop concert in a big stadium, so I didn't quite know what I was signing myself up for. I am aware that most kpop fans, especially in the US, tend to be younger than me (I'm a millenial), but it's just disappointing that I can't go to a concert and enjoy it like an adult. I am all for high energy crowds, but there's a difference between cheering/singing along and high pitched, relentless screaming. At one point Johnny did a shirtless dance and the girls next to me turned around to NOT watch because they were overwhelmed by how "rude" he was being. And making uncomfortable comments like these boys were their boyfriends whom they knew intimately well. I became acutely aware of how these adult men were being sexualized and infantilized by hordes of underage girls. My friend and I were kind of relieved we didn't convince our third friend, who is new to kpop, to come. I think kpop is really cool and frankly, the future of entertainment- the choreography, the theatrics, even the fan service is charming. But it's the demographic and behavior of the fans around me that was a turn off and reminded me that I am very much in the minority, even as a die hard NCTzen. Honestly, I blame myself for not bringing earplugs.

• Oh that’s annoying!

I’ve never seen that behavior in Europe - people sing along, fanchants and the screaming is not during songs, and if they speak - people listen and usually it’s translated. But people always scream when they take their shirts off :oops:.

Also fans are all ages but I admit most is 20-30.

I don’t know what millennial is but you should try going to other bands to compare the vibe?

Kpop is for everyone but people scream at Harry Styles concerts too :woow:

• you might have a different experience next time! crowds can majorly vary from show to show. it sucks you got one of the bad ones, but it likely won't always be like that for every kpop group or even for that same group on different days

also you should wear ear plugs anyway. protect your hearing!!

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• All of the male groups' concerts just seemed to be filled with 12-year old girls screaming their heads off, for the few that I went. The two girl group concerts seemed to be more balanced and were more enjoyable.

• Those young fangirls are the backbone of Kpop. Without them we can shut down Kpop.

I dont know how it is for Boy groups but for Girl groups there are some niches. You wont have sexism with bolbagan4. And you will get a more mature audience at a Brave Girls concert.

Maybe at some older 2nd/3rd Gen groups the audience might be more mature too.

If Kpop keeps growing it may develop and sustain more diversity.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!