Why are So Many Cdramas Historical?

• I could go in to a really long historical explanation but I got bored just trying to figure out how to explain it. TLDR. For China: Historical Drama is a way of replacing the history the CCP is constantly trying to rewrite to fit their narrative.

For Korea: The Korean peninsula is always being beat up. If they aren't beating them selves up, someone else is beating them up. If you go back in history someone is always trying to conquer the Korean Peninsula. The Chinese, Japanese, Russia, Mongol Hordes, you name it! Even the US Navy slapped Korea around in 1871. Historical Drama allows them to remember their history with a happier narrative.

• I mean...why not? visually and story-wise there is always potential here. not to mention that even in korean dramas we have basics like Empress Ki and more. it's fun and exciting to watch.

• it's a popular subgenre but i dont think it's the most popular. it's the most popular among international audience though. these dramas are not actually historical dramas. the actual name is just "costume" dramas to indicate that the actors wear non-modern clothes. nothing about the dramas attempt to tell any actual histories. there's more artistic freedom and leeway to write stories for these dramas so that's why it attract more people.

• I actually prefer them

The "modern" era cdramas are not unique and lose to the competition of kdrama and jdrama. However their custom dramas, whether historical or fantasy, is very unique and you cant find sth like it in other places.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Chinese historical dramas (either palace or fantasy - Wuxia or Xianxia) are most of the time — adapted from popular novels and folktales. There is definitely a demand and this genre is super popular across Asia for decades - hence the continuous series. Even the novels have been translated into other Asian languages - in Thailand, I can find excellent Thai translations of all the major Chinese, Japanese, and Korean novels from all genres. But the point here is that Chinese historical mysteries, romance, or adventure novels have a huge demand here. For example, the recent Cdrama Love Like the Galaxy, the novels 7 volumes are already set to be officially released here in addition to the TV drama etc.

I also prefer them to modern Cdrama and the best ones are masterpiece stories. For example, The Legend of Condor Heroes, Nirvana in Fire, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, Ever Night, Joy of Life - I can go on etc. Love Like the Galaxy was the best historical this year for me.

China’s history is VAST - it covers thousands of years worth of amazing tales. Different dynasty had their own culture and context - for example the Tang Dynasty era is super different than the Qing era etc.

Yes, the Chinese government has censored and sponsored several drama but NOT an all historical drama are government propaganda.

It is fine if you don’t like historical but there are really incredible historical Cdramas.

Edited 2 times, last by Yinye ().

• Which one is the best of all these

I grew up watching Cdrama since the 80’s and took a break from them for like a decade after the mid90’s - because they were recycling stuff. I think Chinese original Scarlet Heart (Bu Bu Jing Xin) 2011 was the one that got me back to watching Chinese drama but I didn’t watch too many then but this one caught my attention because they used real history but adapted their own fiction version of the events. This one is an adaptation of a novel - it is a historical romance but centered around time travel of a Modern lady back to Kangxi Emperor/Qing Dynasty (Isekai) and how she got caught up in the succession battle. Korea did their own remake of this, which was IU’s Moonlovers back in 2016.

Nirvana in Fire with Hu Ge 2015 was the one that impressed me the most and really made me pay attention to Cdrama more regularly. For many historical Cdrama fans, this one is a masterpiece. It is all about political revenge and the relationships between the characters. I don’t want to spoil it but sooo satisfying to see a well plotted revenge. Also based on a novel.

Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms with Yang Mi and Mark Chao - it is a fantasy Xianxia about the lives of Chinese deities of folklore (the whole 9 heavens, gods, demons, and various spirits.) But this is a drama romance with bits of humor and angst but not so stereotypical OTP and they’re definitely NOT smooth road to happily ever after. This one was a huge hit and bought many international fans to watch Cdrama. Also adapted from a novel, which had a huge scandal in itself but that is another story…this one is on Netflix in many countries. The whole 9 heavens and Chinese fantasy is new to many non-Chinese ppl. but there’s gazillions stories from these etc.

Joy of Life - also adapted from a novel - it is a Wuxia story - another Isekai fantasy with focus on cultivating martial arts or special abilities but also story of a boy growing into a man and having to deal with his family and politics. What made this one unique is - it is funny! The humor mixed with family and political drama.

Love Like the Galaxy was this year’s hit. About a young woman who was abandoned by her family but must find a way to overcome the family drama/trauma and figure out her path. My whole family watched it - it is also a family drama and bits of political scheming/revenge.

All of the drama listed are excellent re cast, production, direction. It will take some patience since Cdrama are longer - they spread their story out with lots of details and such. Enjoy!

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• Nirvana in Fire with Hu Ge 2015 was the one that impressed me the most and really made me pay attention to Cdrama more regularly. For many historical Cdrama fans, this one is a masterpiece. It is all about political revenge and the relationships between the characters. I don’t want to spoil it but sooo satisfying to see a well plotted revenge. Also based on a novel.

Shid you beat me to it

though it is readily available on youtube, it isn't quite the official release.

this is the best copy of it yet and aside from a few audio hiccups its generally the best copy I can find.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I tracked down a HD Blu Ray and plan to re watch it soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!