Is it correct to consider KPop stars who become famous at younger ages as prodigies?

• Int he grand scheme of things the closest to genius are probably GD IU and BOA but I don't think they can be compared to widely believed as musical genius Mozart or Beethoven lol

Mozart as a child reportedly performed before the Emperor of Austria. So he was a prodigy . Beethoven did not become prominent until he got older; in KPop terms he was a good trainee but he didn't get popular until his group stint was over and turned a soloist

• IU was Melon Music Awards AOtY in 2014, that definitely counts as a legitimate grand prize to me. I think MAMA/MMA/GDA are pretty much the only legit awards now.

Although even MMA and MAMA have added kinda bs 4th daesangs like Record of the Year and World Wide Icon of the Year respectively.

MMA took a long time to be recognized as legitimate since it does not count foreign activities (precisely because IU had no foreign presence) and had some strange choices, like Busker Busker, as awardees.

It only became legit around 2015-2016 when Seoul Music Awards declined and people finally , grudgingly, began to accept Melon as legit

• MMA took a long time to be recognized as legitimate since it does not count foreign activities (precisely because IU had no foreign presence) and had some strange choices, like Busker Busker, as awardees.

It only became legit around 2015-2016 when Seoul Music Awards declined and people finally , grudgingly, began to accept Melon as legit

Busker released the most downloaded song of all time to be fair, I think since 2013 counts. Domestic popularity is important too.

• Song Sohee was popular at a young age but as she grew up her popularity waned, and she is mostly known for playing soccer in the SBS soccer show now.

Most talents in Korean chants are now falling into trot - the top 4 of the Miss Trot 2 all trained in Korean chants,and the winner (the married one) was actually a Korean chant teacher by that time.

Since trot tends to appeal to the older pop and the older fans kind of think the younger trottists as their grandkids there are some younger talents there, but since few of them have any say about the music and the perf, I would not call them prodigies. If they can write a hit number or can design their dance number, then they would be prodigies but such cases are indeed rare.

Ok then, they aren't prodigies, but neither are any Kpop idols.

Young, successful and creative - are just the starting point for being a prodigy.. a prodigy is an young genius, a genius does something that awes even the most talented adult.

For example, Terence Tao is considered a prodigy and you know how he is mentioned by other academic mathematicians,

//If you're stuck on a problem, then one way out is to interest Terence Tao," says Charles Fefferman [professor of mathematics at Princeton University],//

No idol comes anywhere near such when it comes to music composition or dance choreography, or even lyrical ability -not even IU.

Most idols are just above average performers, well trained hard workers.

Few of them are exceptionally talented, composing, producing etc.

And yes fewer of them did that starting in their teens..

But none of it even comes 1/100000 th, of what prodigies achieve in other fields.

To call the idols as prodigies, is to lower the bar a lot for Kpop.

• Mozart's father trained him from when he was 2 or 3 years old . So by that logic he is not a prodigy either

Mozart held his first own concert with 7 years. He is clearly highly intelligent. Tho, I have to agree. But he would've been famous anyways, his talent just would've showed when he got older. He is one of my favourite artists by the way

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• aren't prodigies like geniuses or like (point is) born with it; like they're not trained , they're "born" with it?

but nevertheless those listed ARE talented but not what i would consider a "prodigy"

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• aren't prodigies like geniuses or like (point is) born with it; like they're not trained , they're "born" with it?

but nevertheless those listed ARE talented but not what i would consider a "prodigy"

In Asia there is a philosophy that if someone shows promise the person has to be trained even harder so we can extract the biggest impact

• In Asia there is a philosophy that if someone shows promise the person has to be trained even harder so we can extract the biggest impact

i see your point (i truly do)

it would make sense if they show some sort of talent or "promise" that they be trained further

but ig it's my point

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!