Little Mermaid was "race swapped". To appease cancel culture?

• They also made a big deal out of Scar (Lion King) not really looking like Scar or that Belle wasn’t pretty enough… it’s just their annoyance that they don’t get the visuals they wanted.

This. This is really annoying when people say "You only complain, because black people". Excuse me? Literally every Batman actor has taken shit for not exactly looking like that Batman from comics. People had issues with how Sonic looked in that first trailer. People had issues with Daniel Craig as Bond. Fan rage goes beyond race.

• It's about being inclusive...lazily inclusive, cause instead of making a new black princess they did the same as they did with Tiana, race swapped an European tale and that's about it.

The trailer looks too dark, this is supposed to be the Mediterranean or Caribbean sea, but it looks like the Atlantic Ocean instead, the hair looks brown rather than ginger or red, Flounder looks creepy as hell, overall bad, the best part is Halle's vocals anyway. I'm curious as to who is going to play Vanessa tho.

• Disney’s Ariel became cult. People raised up with that particular image of a red head white girl that they loved. They just annoyed they won’t get that exact image in the live action.

They also made a big deal out of Scar (Lion King) not really looking like Scar or that Belle wasn’t pretty enough… it’s just their annoyance that they don’t get the visuals they wanted.

tbh Emma Watson's Belle was pretty weird to me, she doesn't sing plus doesn't look like cartoon one, idk I just didn't imagine her like that, she is pretty but cartoon Belle is totally different from her. and yes agree Ariel really is a cult, but whey it's annoyance?

also I don't get why they are remaking these old cartoons, can't they just make new ones

• Tbh, i find fucking ridiculous how people get mad for this change and quote the original history like the animated movie was not an adaptation of the original history. So is fine if Disney made changes that time, like added a fucking jamaican crab or change the fate of Ariel. Oh, but now is a crime if they make another change, another ADAPTATION. Fucking Stupid racists.

• the accents

accents don't play a role anymore if you dub the shows to different languages

Tiana was for example dubed in German by the vocalist Cassandra Steen and the German dub didn't gave her an accent, not even a fake one (Sometimes dubed shows get fake accents to highlight different ethnicities when the voice actors and voice actresses arn't from the character's country but it's quit difficult if it's someone with a barly visible accent or an accent you can't mimic in another language. I mean it's easier to do a fully fake american one than a accent for a specific region of a country if you dub a show to a language that isn't from the country in the show. I mean you also wouldn't watch Mulan and expect her to have a deep chinese accent in the English dub)

IDK, this is how she was dubed in German

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I don't know anything / much about German subcultures, so dunno if black German citizens have unique accents when it comes to speaking your language. But in the U.S., most black people do have distinctive accents, because they're still culturally separated from the (white) majority. So, sure, in your culture and country, the accent doesn't mean anything, but it does in the U.S., and that's where the film was created and where it's set.

So the American perspective takes precedence.

Edit: and as for the Mulan comment, most American kids aren't exposed to people with "deep Chinese accents." Asians in general represent a very small minority here, so if you were to give Mulan an accent, it's target audience couldn't understand it as well. Not to mention there is a decade gap between those films, and they were created in different centuries. I don't think anybody would have expected a film in the 90s to have an Asian main character with a thick accent. But a Black character in the 2000s? Sure.

• I don't mind it and frankly I don't care about this. But it's kind of lazy on Disney's part, like couldn't they just make a new story with a black girl in the lead? Something like Tiana from Princess and the frog? I feel that would be more inclusive and honestly better cus there's only 1 black princess currently I believe.

• I don't know anything / much about German subcultures, so dunno if black German citizens have unique accents when it comes to speaking your language. But in the U.S., most black people do have distinctive accents, because they're still culturally separated from the (white) majority. So, sure, in your culture and country, the accent doesn't mean anything, but it does in the U.S., and that's where the film was created and where it's set.

So the American perspective takes precedence.

Edit: and as for the Mulan comment, most American kids aren't exposed to people with "deep Chinese accents." Asians in general represent a very small minority here, so if you were to give Mulan an accent, it's target audience couldn't understand it as well. Not to mention there is a decade gap between those films, and they were created in different centuries. I don't think anybody would have expected a film in the 90s to have an Asian main character with a thick accent. But a Black character in the 2000s? Sure.

You won't hear any difference unless you arn't born and raised here or lived enough time here to be fluently. Some people may still have words from their mother tongue in their language when speaking (You often hear it from eastern european people, they for example speak in normal language with you but as soon they need a slang-word or a swear-word there is that 1 foreigen word in there). But whats more common is that people tend to have this voice that sounds like if they were antisocial. Like ya know when someone in sweatpants, messy hair, ugl makeup, socks in sandals, smoking, not giving a damn passed you by, there are these people who have that voice, they often use the most slang/foreign words even if they are fully German and you often think you would like to not talk to them

IDK how to examplain it that well

It's like if you go to a business meeting vs. when a row of rapper is in the same room with you

(random video of a popular tv-show cook singing)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I think race swapping of established and very well known characters for no real substantial reason is very cheap and lazy as adds nothing.

A few years ago before Tom Holland was cast there calls for Spider-Man to be black (main universe Peter Parker, they can make other universes pretty much any race or gender). Some saw it as innovative and change for the times but for fans of the character it was mind boggling idea. Why change someone so established for around for 60 years? Everyone reads the comics, seen the films, played the games knows him has a young white dude. The change to a black Spidey would add nothing to his character history or his characteristics (heroic, outcast, awkward, funny etc), it would be a change for changes sake which is hollow.

Plus in Spidey particular case there was already a popular and semi known black Spiderman

- Miles Morales - so why change the existing character everyone knows and loves when they could use a different one or create a new character to fit new audiences? Luckily marvel didn’t listen to those initial idiots because in the end we got best of both worlds: Peter is same as usual and Miles has come into the limelight as his own Spider-Man. Win win.

If we go a bit further Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel was created as a Peter Parker archetype for the modern age and she’s very obviously radically different from Peter physically but still became a huge success even before her MCU appearance. So even if a new character looks very different they can still embody the same ideals and characteristics but you get also brand new stories to tell.

But at the end of the day I don’t think race really matters in this case because it’s going to be shit anyway like almost all of Disney’s remakes lol

• As someone who is Asian that grew up watching the original animated film and liking a white Ariel during my childhood, I have no problem with having the very talented Halle being Ariel in the upcoming movie.

Ariel's race was never important in the story since the story was not about cultural/race identity but more of the universal one - that as a girl we all have dreams and even if those dreams contradict our parent and socio-expectations etc.

It's not the same like if all of a sudden re Mulan, whose cultural identity - the Chinese one - is heavily embedded into the story and history etc.

People making a big deal of the race aspect of this film is totally missing the bigger point of minorities wanting representation in the mainstream media. Like how many roles that were suppose to be minorities were 'whitewashed' all these years..... I mean it's only recently that Disney is working on another, new animated film with an African-Latina Princess for the first time. Like go watch the clips of black children reacting to the trailer with Halle and see why representation matters.

Edited 3 times, last by Yinye ().

• off topic but why Disney looks so cheap in general? Everything from them looks... Forced it might be because of the cringe CGI that plagues their "new content"

so lifeless

Yes I've noticed this esp after watching Pinocchio. If I watched these films having no idea who they were made by I would've never guessed they were created by a multi-billion dollar company

out of service

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!