Little Mermaid was "race swapped". To appease cancel culture?

• Hot topic on twt. Why is it OK to change the race of a white character but not the other way around? They said there's a double standard? Are they correct? What do you think?

• We are still not that far ahead in society to be raising these questions. Right now is the time for inclusion. Maybe after a century? ok?

• If they were changing the ethnicity of a character whose cultural identity actually played a role in her story, I would mind. But as far as I know, being Caucasian isn't important to Ariel. Changing someone like Tiana would be ridiculous because her story takes place in New Orleans ghetto, and that aesthetic (the music, the accents, etc.,) was pretty essential to enjoying the movie (at least to me).

The backlash you see is from white people who are accustomed to being represented in media as the protagonists, and who want a reason to shout at the "woke" community for not accommodating their "need" to be the majority.

This is coming from a white person who isn't even that liberal, by the way.

• If they were changing the ethnicity of a character whose cultural identity actually played a role in her story, I would mind. But as far as I know, being Caucasian isn't important to Ariel. Changing someone like Tiana would be ridiculous because her story takes place in New Orleans ghetto, and that aesthetic (the music, the accents, etc.,) was pretty essential to enjoying the movie (at least to me).

The backlash you see is from white people who are accustomed to being represented in media as the protagonists, and who want a reason to shout at the "woke" community for not accommodating their "need" to be the majority.

This is coming from a white person who isn't even that liberal, by the way.

very stupid analogy

Prince Eric's castle, according to the internet, is supposed to be in Denmark, where the author of the original story was from

the story was written in 1837

how do you think changing an essential element of that 1800s European aesthetic is fine but would not be fine for Tiana's story? lmao

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• My only deal is that Ariel HAS BRIGHT RED HAIR like a very non natural look at all! I wish they would go with non natural bright red hair lol but they tried... Ariel and Cinderella are my super favs I just ignore their live actions tbh because disney magic has been gone for a while ~lmao~ but this one doesnt look so bad you know I just would change the hair color i love the bright unnatural hair color because it is her iconic hair color hahaha other than this I don't think mermaids have race? xDD

I quite think this things should be fun and not bring this sort of "attention"

• off topic but why Disney looks so cheap in general? Everything from them looks... Forced it might be because of the cringe CGI that plagues their "new content"

so lifeless

• bruh istg this is so annoying. anyone who has heard halle sing knows why she got the role. even if you don't know who she is, go watch the trailer. she might not look like the disney animated version of ariel but she sounds exactly how ariel is supposed to sound.

also id rather have someone who doesnt look like how disney decided to draw the character but can acctually sing versus someone who looks like how disney decided to draw the character but cant sing (cough cough beauty and the beast)

i agree with this, but i dont mind cant singing either, afterall it can be fixed with autotune and effects

in the end whether the movie will be good or bad depends 90% on the directors, writers and producers

• very stupid analogy

Prince Eric's castle, according to the internet, is supposed to be in Denmark, where the author of the original story was from

the story was written in 1837

how do you think changing an essential element of that 1800s European aesthetic is fine but would not be fine for Tiana's story? lmao

Chill. Also, that would be a comparison. Not an analogy.

"According to the internet..." meaning that you actually had to do research to discover the significance of that "cultural identity." Meanwhile, it's obvious that Tiana's story took place in New Orleans. Not only is it explicitly mentioned, but there are elements showcasing this (again, the music inspiration and accents).

Maybe Disney fanatics or people actually from Denmark would notice such details, but its major audience wouldn't care. It has no further influence on the general aesthetic, story line, or characters.

Anyway, there are literally hundreds of white protagonists in films, TV shows, and books. Changing the race of a character for an adaptation, when there will be literally hundreds more afterwards, is inconsequential. If you want to watch "The Little Mermaid" with a white Ariel, you can watch the original Disney animated film, or just read the original story.

• well I can see both points

(btw not just ariel but the LA version of character is never the same for me :P ~ not at emma watson ruining bella dress... never forget lol)

but its quite... I think it is fair to think this is kinda different from what we know of Denmark tbh in the end this is true... but I maintain my main thingy being with her hair color, it would be awesome a super unnatural red?!

• im not against the race swap

i just thought your excuse is shitty and hypocritical af

not saying you're not allowed to be a hypocrite, we all are, but atleast dont try to justify it

and YES, in the source material the mermaid ( whose name isnt Ariel, I think ) is described as having clearly VERY caucasian features

you can google it, its not that hard to find english translations

btw the story of the Princess and the Frog was an old European tale too but they changed it to New Orleans but you think thats how it deserves to be cause thats how its in the animated movie?

why not the same energy for Little Mermaid then?

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• well I can see both points

(btw not just ariel but the LA version of character is never the same for me :P ~ not at emma watson ruining bella dress... never forget lol)

but its quite... I think it is fair to think this is kinda different from what we know of Denmark tbh in the end this is true... but I maintain my main thingy being with her hair color, it would be awesome a super unnatural red?!

Yeah, I'd of liked to see her with more bright red hair. Her's is more like light brown with a red hue. Hopefully the colors will be a bit more vibrant in the actual movie.

• bruh istg this is so annoying. anyone who has heard halle sing knows why she got the role. even if you don't know who she is, go watch the trailer. she might not look like the disney animated version of ariel but she sounds exactly how ariel is supposed to sound.

also id rather have someone who doesnt look like how disney decided to draw the character but can acctually sing versus someone who looks like how disney decided to draw the character but cant sing (cough cough beauty and the beast)

I agree with this too. I have no problem with Ariel being portrayed by a super talented + beautiful Halle. I'm looking forward to this adaptation. I also hope they make the film a bit 'brighter' - I don't know why Hollywood films have gone so dark that sometimes I can't barely see anything ahem e.g., Dune!

There's really several issues being conflated. Some people are obviously racist but then trying to spin this to be about a discussion about fair representation and authentic story telling but not acknowledging how long Hollywood has blocked minority actor/actresses etc.

• For someone who isn't "against" it, you're being very toxic around this discussion.

Throwing around insults while trying to prove whatever point you think you have, it IMO childish.

What do having "very Caucasian features" have to do with her character or story? Having pale skin has something to do with attitude towards life? Having blue or green eyes has something to do with her mannerisms?

The fact that you have to search for this information online is proof enough that it doesn't mean much if you're the average viewer. None of it will mean anything to the nine year old girls watching the movie.

Le sigh. You are really not getting the point. Anyway, I wasn't talking about the "source material" for these works. When Disney makes a live-action adaptation, they're making an adaptation for their animated film. They aren't concerned with the original tales.

In the Little Mermaid animated film by Disney, the character's ethnicity has no implications towards her story. Ergo, when Disney creates a live action adaptation for that animated film, the character's ethnicity won't have any implications towards her story.

In The Princess and the Frog animated film by Disney, the character's ethnicity has implications towards the story's aesthetics and storyline. Ergo, if Disney were to create a live action adaption for that animated film, the character's ethnicity would have implications towards her story.

Anyway, all I did was write a simple-ended comment for a dried-out make-believe debacle. I really don't intend to use energy debating a Disney movie with a grown adult on a K-Pop forum, especially one who doesn't understand the difference between an analogy and a comparison.

So, bye :blowing-kiss:

• hypocrite isnt an insult, its a personality trait we all have to some extent

and i still dont have anything against the actress, what I am against is the excuses on the internet

good day to you

u r m o m g a y

• Disney’s Ariel became cult. People raised up with that particular image of a red head white girl that they loved. They just annoyed they won’t get that exact image in the live action.

They also made a big deal out of Scar (Lion King) not really looking like Scar or that Belle wasn’t pretty enough… it’s just their annoyance that they don’t get the visuals they wanted.

• I agree with this too. I have no problem with Ariel being portrayed by a super talented + beautiful Halle. I'm looking forward to this adaptation. I also hope they make the film a bit 'brighter' - I don't know why Hollywood films have gone so dark that sometimes I can't barely see anything ahem e.g., Dune!

There's really several issues being conflated. Some people are obviously racist but then trying to spin this to be about a discussion about fair representation and authentic story telling but not acknowledging how long Hollywood has blocked minority actor/actresses etc.

Its because of the director's style and purpose, also depends on film's genre. Like lots of sci fi movies have dark atmosphere such as sci fi movies by Christopher Nolan, also The Matrix, Aliens etc. I think its because some people see future as very dark because of all the advanced tech and stuff. Also having dark undertone makes the film more serious, combined with slow burn action plot, it gives the film so much potential for major film awards. Also its drama film, lots of drama films tend to be less colorful.

But fantasy movies supposed to be different. Its mostly made for general public rather than major film awards. General public likes bright fantasy, because lots of kids watch it so. It looks dark right now, but I will wait for the trailer to judge it. If its too dark, i think it will lose some potential watchers for sure lol.

• Its because of the director's style and purpose, also depends on film's genre. Like lots of sci fi movies have dark atmosphere such as sci fi movies by Christopher Nolan, also The Matrix, Aliens etc. I think its because some people see future as very dark because of all the advanced tech and stuff. Also having dark undertone makes the film more serious, combined with slow burn action plot, it gives the film so much potential for major film awards. Also its drama film, lots of drama films tend to be less colorful.

But fantasy movies supposed to be different. Its mostly made for general public rather than major film awards. General public likes bright fantasy, because lots of kids watch it so. It looks dark right now, but I will wait for the trailer to judge it. If its too dark, i think it will lose some potential watchers for sure lol.

I'm okay with films being dark for aesthetics and fitting the concept but when it's so dark that the audience can't barely see what's going on - that is problematic lol. While the Alien films were dark - I could tell what was going on. For Dune, during the dark scenes, I really had to pause and brighten my TV to the max and still couldn't see it clearly. I'm a huge sci-fi and fantasy genre too.

Re this LM film, I do think they will 'brighten' things up a little by the time we get a real trailer. They have time to improve the film with CGI and VFX etc. I'm so excited - among the Disney Live Action remakes of the princess animated films, I've only like Cinderella.

Gotta love how whenever the reverse argument is brough up the race becomes the essential part of character. Apparently it is ok to treat Wakanda as a real African country despite all the fictional elements but God forbid anyone suggests that Middle Earth is essentially the pre historic Europe :pepe-narrow-eyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!