Netizens incredulous to believe Adore's 'Cookie' clarification

• Netizens incredulous to believe Adore's 'Cookie' clarification

0005009855_001_20220827201001056.jpg

Article: New Jeans on 'Cookie' controversy, "It's not meant to mean the slang, it's an unnecessary concern"

Source: Everyday Economy via Naver

1. [+444, -31] I kept thinking the lyrics sounded weird. It's all about seducing a man with a cookie? How he'll eat one and want more and come over for some more? It's way more natural to think the cookie means something else which is why it's so problematic.

2. [+228, -20] If that's how Americans are reading it in their culture... then I don't see how these lyrics can be taken any other way. These are teen minors singing it. It's embarrassing that K-Pop is writing such lyrics.

3. [+217, -19] Cookie is not an uncommon slang like they're trying to say. And it makes no sense that they had an American native confirm that... because of course if you just ask about the word 'cookie', sure it sounds normal since anyone can say "want a cookie?" or "I have cookies at home"... but to have a girl group dance along to it in an ambiguous manner... it totally means the slang version. Sure, it might mean something else in Australia or New Zealand but ask any adult in the US, Canada, or UK, and show them the music video alongside it. Any normal person would freak out.

4. [+155, -9] New Jeans noise marketing is no joke

5. [+72, -4] You can't hide the truth like this. Anyone in the idol industry knows that Min Hee Jin has been problematic with her concepts since her SM days.

6. [+62, -5] When I first heard the song, I thought it was impressive that they managed to write something so s*xual in a modern way like this. What I don't understand is why they chose to write the lyrics this way at all if they didn't want the public to assume the wrong way? No matter how hard I try to pass on this... the members are just too young. None of this would've been a problem had they been any older.

7. [+52, -2] Burning a CD? Are the members even old enough to know what a CD looks like?

8. [+51, -3] Just be honest and admit that this is what you wanted. The song itself has such a weird vibe to it.

9. [+42, -2] They really think they can just put their hands over their eyes and act like they don't see it. Do they really think they can fool the public? Sure, maybe the younger members are too young to know anything, but you're really telling me that the producers and writers of this song had no idea? Then how are you going to explain Nicki Minaj having an entire song talking about a cookie? This agency really thinks they can hide the sky if they hold their hand up. They might get away with fooling their Korean fans but how are they going to explain this to their international fandom? Because they won't believe this at all.

10. [+40, -3] "The feeling of creating a good song, like baking a cookie" ㅋㅋㅋ Are they not able to admit to themselves that this excuse just sucks? They make 'cookie' sound like something so wholesome that this might just be a group produced by EBS after all.

11. [+29, -2] It's funny to me that they have half the song in English but are now claiming that they didn't intend it to be taken the American way ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

12. [+20, -1] It's gotten even weirder with the agency's clarification. I think the translator/interpreter's understanding of the lyrics sounds more convincing.

13. [+17, -2] English speaking countries are telling you that the word is used in a s*xual context so why does their agency continue to deny it? They are doing this to young kids, what are they thinking?

14. [+11, -1] This whole thing sounds like a parody... like their agency is really trying to gaslight us into thinking that you're a p*rvert if you hear it any other way than what they're telling you it means

15. [+9, -2] Just because you didn't "intend to mean it that way" doesn't mean the people didn't take the intention to mean that way. Their agency couldn't have handled it this way if they actually cared about the feedback their international fans are giving them.

16. [+8, -1] There's definitely a vibe to the song that makes it difficult to listen to with any young children around...

17. [+4, -0] But did anyone actually expect them to be like "Oof! You totally caught us trying to make our minor members sing a s*xual song~" of course they're going to deny it ㅋㅋ

18. [+4, -0] This reminds me of FIESTAR's 'One More Time' controversy. Everyone could tell the song was about a threesome but they tried to clarify it saying it's about asking for more KakaoTalk game hearts or something, which then led to people blaming the everyone who found the lyrics problematic for being weird and whatnot, which is what's happening here.

19. [+4, -0] They claim the lyrics have been "confirmed by English literature professors, translators and interpreters, native speakers, and foreigners" but perhaps instead they should listen to the opinions of the actual consumers of New Jeans' music and how they're taking the word cookie to mean...

• I think it's to rationalize any notion of Danielle or Hanni not knowing what they were singing. I'd hope they didn't and were ignorantly coerced...but knowing the industry, yikes.

Which is even funnier, because Aussie slang, more than other English speaking countries, is FULL of double entendre, double meanings, dumb ways to talk about sex (did ya get a root?) that I am genuinely doubtful that Danielle, of all members, didn't know what was going on.

• Which is even funnier, because Aussie slang, more than other English speaking countries, is FULL of double entendre, double meanings, dumb ways to talk about sex (did ya get a root?) that I am genuinely doubtful that Danielle, of all members, didn't know what was going on.

lol, welp, ig that's just a fan's misconception

Moved the thread from forum Deadzone to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!