How did wonyoung get so popular?

• Yeah right I still remember how people (me included) were surprised that she was crowned as izone’s center because she was like nobody in produce 48, not like somi who obviously everyone’s fav. Suddenly she just becomes popular and more popular after izone disbanded

She's placed first rank before the final and her rankings are always high, clearly not a nobody lol.

• Yeah right I still remember how people (me included) were surprised that she was crowned as izone’s center because she was like nobody in produce 48, not like somi who obviously everyone’s fav. Suddenly she just becomes popular and more popular after izone disbanded

Did you even watch the show???

There were lots of rumors going around about Wonyoung even before the show started. Knetz heard about her and was hyped.

Once the show started, she continued to garner a lot hype and praise. She always ranked within the top five for majority of the show and NEVER left the top 12 debut line up. Her winning was also not the first time she ranker 1st, and the lowest ranking she ever got was 8.

Screenshot_20220622-141948.png

the only people who thought she was a "nobody" was ifans, a majority of which were jealous haters who stan Sakura and downplayed Wonyoung at every chance they got.

To anyone else it was no surprise she won. She got literally nothing but praise for all her performances and Knetz loved her.

• People were taking about Sakura being the center for the group during PD48, but WY was clearly better for the position. Sakura is a decent all-rounder, but she didn't have the right mix of visuals and/or charisma for the center position.

Somi had great visuals and top-tier charisma. WY wasn't/isn't as charismatic, but she had great visuals and a cute charm that just worked as a center. The small amount of work she had done on her face improved what was already her greatest strength to top-tier level, putting her on even level with Jennie for the baby-faced beauty look.

The most popular idols are usually good all-rounders with one important quality that is (almost) unmatched.

Somi - charisma

WY - visuals

Planet999 doesn't have anyone like that, which explains why they are not making a big impact.

• No ahn yujin was more popular than her during the show, until she decided to say something offensive about how she was sad that her rank drop. Wonyoung placed #1 and that time people were questioning her position. She was popular but not that popular than say sakura or even hyewon.

• No ahn yujin was more popular than her during the show, until she decided to say something offensive about how she was sad that her rank drop. Wonyoung placed #1 and that time people were questioning her position. She was popular but not that popular than say sakura or even hyewon.

"People questioning her position" You mean ifans? Yes. Like they questioned everything else about Wonyoung.

Hyewon was more popular than her? Lol. Hyewon ranked in the low 40s to 30s for most of the show and only rose toward the end. Mentioning her is so random.

Ahn Yujin was indeed popular and could have been center too. That part I agree with. But you forget the part where Yujin had a controversy that caused dropped her from the debut line up and her ranking to tank nearing the end of the show.

As for Sakura, she was popular mostly among ifans who could not vote. I don't know how many times you guys need to hear this to understand. Even after Iz*One debuted, Sakura did not have strong popularity in Korea. Even now with Le Sserafim, Sakura's domestic popularity is still not that high in Korea.

• "Her it girl status in Korea makes sense, but wow she is so popular internationally too!"

It's right there. The first sentence in op. Not that hard.

And yes, she needs that association.

Her group is not from big 3. It will still be harder for them because not even produce could help them internationally the way big 3 + hybe brand can.

Aespa, Karina, Itzy, Yeji were there meanwhile Ive as a group were not there. Wy was though right next to him, thanks to association with Sunghoon being her co mc and his group's popularity. They are nugus in Korea, but are massive overseas and were 1 milion sellers just with 1 album (not combined) already in their 1st year

He didn't help her domestically at all, moreover she did to him, but internationally he sure did. If he didn't, she would be having her own line/bubble like Iu did.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!