Posts by StCatMouse

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen has called on residents to conserve water and prepare for shortages as the island faces a drought, following months of scant rainfall and a lack of typhoons making landfall last year.

In a Facebook post over the weekend, Tsai said that Taiwan did not experience a typhoon in 2020 and faces its most severe water shortage in 56 years. Typhoons typically produce huge amounts of rainfall. She explained that the government set up an emergency response center to deal with the drought.

Tsai added that the government is monitoring water conditions throughout the island and that it will take steps to ensure a stable supply of water for industries and households.

Local reports said last month that the island stepped up nationwide water restrictions and mobilized emergency water resources, including a desalination plant in Hsinchu County, as officials anticipate the dry season will last until May.

Further reading: CNBC

UPDATE:

Earthquake swarm in Iceland continues, now with over 20.000 earthquakes detected since the start, facing an even higher eruption risk in the next few days

Earthquake swarm in Iceland continues, now with over 20.000 earthquakes detected since the start, facing an even higher eruption risk in the next few days

A powerful earthquake swarm continues on the Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland since February 24th. Over 20.000 earthquakes have now been detected since the beginning of the earthquake swarm.

As the series of strong earthquakes continues, more signs of magma movement are also being detected. This has prompted the officials monitoring the situation, to raise the alert level from yellow to orange.

celand is most known as a volcanic island in the North Atlantic. It is one of the most active volcanic regions in the world. As history shows, its eruptions can sometimes have powerful impacts on Europe and the entire Northern Hemisphere.

It has constant earthquake activity because it sits on both the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates. The plates are moving away from each other, tearing the island apart. It is the only place in the world where you can see those two tectonic plates and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge above ground.

Further reading: Severe Weather

StCatMouse

I'm trying to get into this, but I don't know where to start. NBA Top Shot is my best bet since I'm more familiar with that world, but it may be a huge risk to get involved.

It's a huge risk as this could just be a fad and I'm also doing my own research. The whole cryptocurrency boom of the past few years went over my head to be honest.

As far as starting, I'll drop these links. It's all I'm doing right now as well, reading up on how to start:

https://decrypt.co/resources/n…ed-guide-learn-blockchain

https://blockonomi.com/nfts-collecting-creating-guide/

Exactly - and even though things are taking a turn towards more cross-compatibility - I think the damage has already been done with long term players, and most won't switch over so easily. I've had a PS since the original, and every console since then, and I for one am not going to change just because of cross compatibility. At least they're making some progress now, but man back in the day it was rough.

Very rough. Aside from Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Last Remnant, I can't think of any other JRPGs in the 360 era. Xbone fared better but still there were holds out like the Persona series.

Yeah as of late last year, there's like 110+ million PS4 users. With that kind of install base, a lot of those folks just won't jump ship for no reason. Unless Sony does something terribly dumb, it's safe to say they'll enjoy their lead over Microsoft in the immediate future.

JRPGs aside, Microsoft still has to prove themselves in the AAA singe player space. Sony have Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima and while MS have acquired a ton of devs and they still have long-standing franchises like Gears and Halo, it would still take years to build an impressive portfolio like Sony's.

When Gregg Nome was 24 years old, he slipped into the churn beneath a waterfall and began to drown, his body pummelled against the sandy riverbed. What he saw there surprised him.

Suddenly, his vision filled with crystal-clear scenes from his childhood, events he had mostly forgotten, and then moments from early adulthood. The memories, if that’s what they were, were vivid and crisp. Was he reliving them? Not quite. They came at high speed, almost all at once, in a wave. And yet he could process each one individually. In fact, he was able to perceive everything around him: the rush of the water, the sandy bed, all of it brilliantly distinct. He could “hear and see as never before,” he recalled later. And, despite being trapped underwater, he felt calm and at ease. He remembered thinking that prior to this moment his senses must have been dulled somehow, because only now could he fully understand the world, perhaps even the true meaning of the universe. Eventually, the imagery faded. Next, “There was only darkness,” he said, “and a feeling of a short pause, like something was about to happen.”

Nome recounted this story at a support group in Connecticut, in 1985, four years after the experience. He had survived, but now he hoped to understand why, during a moment of extreme mortal crisis, his mind had behaved the way it did. The meeting had been organised by Bruce Greyson, now a professor emeritus in psychiatry at the University of Virginia. (Some of the group’s members had responded to an ad Greyson placed in a local newspaper.) As Nome spoke, Greyson sat in a circle of 30 or so others, as if at an AA meeting, listening intently, nodding along.

Greyson had been hearing of events like these for years. A month into his psychiatric training, in the 1960s, he had been “confronted by a patient who claimed to have left her body” while unconscious on a hospital bed, and who later provided an accurate description of events that had taken place “in a different room”. This made no sense to him. “I was raised in a scientific household,” he says, over Zoom. “My father was a chemist. Growing up, the physical world was all there was.” He felt certain someone had slipped the patient

the information. He also thought, “What does that even mean, to leave your body?”

Further reading: The Guardian

Source: BBC

The London-born superstar singer also holds the title for the fastest-selling album of all time, for her album 25.

The announcement was made by The British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the group that looks after the British music industry.

Some of Adele's musical influences also made the rankings - P!nk came second, followed by Madonna, Rihanna, Dido and Amy Winehouse in sixth.

Six times Adele has smashed it:

1. Adele's album '25' became the fastest-selling album of all time, becoming the first album to sell more than three million copies in a week.

2. Her album '21' is the best-selling album by a female artist in the UK EVER! It sold just under six million copies.

3. 'Hello' became the first track to be downloaded more than one million times in a week in America. That pushed it straight to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, which looks at music sales, streaming and radio play.

4. Adele managed to pick up an Oscar award in 2013 for her song 'Skyfall', which was the theme tune for the James Bond film.

5. She has spent a whopping 397 weeks in the UK charts to date.

6. In 2017 Adele made Grammy award history, by picking up six awards, equalling Beyoncé's record for the most Grammy's won by a female artist in one night.

Adele was born in Tottenham, North London and around the age of 10 she moved to Brixton in South London, then West Norwood.

She burst onto the UK music scene in 2007 with her breakthrough song 'Hometown Glory', after attending the selective Brit School for Performing Arts & Technology in Croydon.

Is Adele going to release a new album?

Adele's three studio albums have been named after the ages she was when she wrote them - 19, 21 and 25 - and the she recently confirmed she is working on new material.

This will be her first new album for five years.

It is not yet known when it will be released, but in February, a video showed the singer performing at a friend's wedding, telling guests: "Expect my album in September."

Also:

https://www.music-news.com/new…bum-artist-of-the-century

https://www.nme.com/news/music…st-of-the-century-2895927

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.