Taiwan’s leader tells residents to conserve water as the island faces worst drought in 56 years

• Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen has called on residents to conserve water and prepare for shortages as the island faces a drought, following months of scant rainfall and a lack of typhoons making landfall last year.

In a Facebook post over the weekend, Tsai said that Taiwan did not experience a typhoon in 2020 and faces its most severe water shortage in 56 years. Typhoons typically produce huge amounts of rainfall. She explained that the government set up an emergency response center to deal with the drought.

Tsai added that the government is monitoring water conditions throughout the island and that it will take steps to ensure a stable supply of water for industries and households.

Local reports said last month that the island stepped up nationwide water restrictions and mobilized emergency water resources, including a desalination plant in Hsinchu County, as officials anticipate the dry season will last until May.

Further reading: CNBC

• Okay my english is really bad and I have problems understanding the complete text but what I understand is that taiwan is short on Water? If this is true this is really crazy to think that they don't have enough Water that is Vital to live :|:|:|

Yes, you are correct. This happens to us as well in the Philippines. If there's not enough rainfall, it's not just consumable water but irrigation for farmlands are also greatly affected. I don't know about the rest of the Southeast Asian countries that are directly facing the Pacific but it feels like for the last few years, rainfall hasn't been that bountiful but on the other hand, the few typhoons that do make landfall seem to be much stronger.

• Yes, you are correct. This happens to us as well in the Philippines. If there's not enough rainfall, it's not just consumable water but irrigation for farmlands are also greatly affected. I don't know about the rest of the Southeast Asian countries that are directly facing the Pacific but it feels like for the last few years, rainfall hasn't been that bountiful but on the other hand, the few typhoons that do make landfall seem to be much stronger.

Have this to do with the Climate change? It realy sad that so many people have to go through this :|:|:|

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!