Posts by uwuwu-99

It looks like New Jeans is going to release a pre-single the 19th of December and their first single the 2nd of January. The timing is perfect to sweep the yearly charts if they release a big hit and target the awards and I'm almost sure the comeback is going to be huge after all the anticipation they should have after their insane debut (maybe the biggest debut ever at this point?)

I wonder when Ive will comeback since I feel these 2 are going to fight for the top spot the upcoming years.

I've said this before but it bears repeating - People have told me that the points in the Gaon Digital Chart reflect actual revenue (eg 50 million points equals 50 million Korean won earned). If so, then Gaon should rename the existing Circle Digital Chart as the Circle Song Revenue Chart, and instead put up a new Circle Digital Chart to track actual popularity based purely on ULs.

I mean a UL chart would be great, but I have a suspicion there are business decisions why they don't do that.

You guys are basically talking about the streaming chart that hot-potato mentioned, give it a check I have the feeling it's what you're looking for, but as I said the only problem is that they don't show up the numbers and after all it's almost the same as the Melon weekly chart.

CIRCLE CHART - 써클차트
    New Circular Wave.
    circlechart.kr

I didn't know Dance the night away the best performing Twice song on Gaon

Just out of the songs released after they added the digital points at the beginning of 2018. Twice released most of their biggest hits before that.

No, it has a heavy weighting towards downloads, and is also not entirely representative, missing 25% of the market share.

They mentioned the streaming chart, not the digital chart. They're probably right since that chart only misses Youtube and some minor charts, and it's not influenced by the mass download of the fandoms, sadly we just have the rank and not the number of streamings like before 2018, so I personally stopped checking it and i guess it's the case of most people here.

If we want the numbers i agree Melon is the best way to measure it.

Welp

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I hope this means he won't have a comeback in the first half of 2023, I hate so much fandom streaming and idk if i could handle other full album lmao.

Most charts use streams and downloads (60/40), but nowadays downloads are that low in korea that they barely have any impact. The only chart where downloads are important is Bugs (they have a really small market share anyway), all the rest you can consider them basically 99% streams. Also I think Flo is just streams.

Then now we have Youtube in Instiz which is obviously the views of the videos.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is probably going to be ignored by most chart accounts since they often just keep track of the weeks at 1/10/100, but this is a really crazy record and it's shocking that they did it before they're 1 year old.

What will be interesting is if a group can actually get a TT to follow up their Cheer up i.e. go from a national hit level song and follow it up with an equally game changing/impactful song for the group. Cheer up and TT both got big for different reasons.

After a huge hit your next song is going to start off great through momentum alone, we saw that with Savage last year, After Like and now Nude (I'd even argue Brave Girls first comeback after Rollin' went viral). I don't think Aespa or Brave Girls managed it.

Have to say, I really don't rate survival shows as a medium of entertainment. Everything about it seems too artificial, pretty much why I never watch idol variety either. Music wise I do have a listen though.

It's really hard to find exactly the same situation, but I'd say LD and After like are pretty similar to Cheer up and TT in terms of situation, success and impact. LD will probably hold most of the longevity records of the new gen just like what Cheer up did, it will also reach #1 in the yearly charts like Cheer up and unless something weird happen, it should win some Sotys. After like had even a bigger peak than LD, same as TT, but probably worse longevity. Even Eleven's performance can be compared to Like ooh ahh in some way (debut song, not performing good at first but both became risers and have amazing longevity, entering the next year's top 10 yearly charts) It's still soon to say it though, After like could start falling faster and not being that big, or maybe Ive's next comeback could fit better in some of these situations, but as I said to find the exact same situation is really hard, this is close enough.

I feel a bit bad for the people of the chart accounts calculating the score for MAMA, I mean, I guess twitter stans like to see these things, to claim their favs are doing good and have arguments about these numbers, sothey might do it for that, but I think it's pretty useless. I've seen Ive is leading for Artist of the year but it's completely impossible Mnet will give it to them, even if they were leading by a 20ish% it would be really unlikely. Actually many awards are just separated by a 2-5% when we still have a 40% of the judges hidden that we will never know so what's the point.

Melomance's Minseok. It was the song topping the charts at the beginning of the year and it had more tracking period than the other songs, both LD and Tomboy are bigger. Even if it wasn't MAMA would never give a daesang to an artist like Minseok tho, it's between Tomboy, LD and maybe PV if they want to give it to a song with a bigger international impact, with that 40% score coming from judges they can do what they want tbh.

How many songs does the show get charting in top 10?

6-8 can make it into the Melon weekly top 10, but most of them will just be there for some few weeks while the show is still airing. Only 2 or 3 songs become hits and spend many weeks there, but those weeks when the songs are being released are a mess for the other hits.

PV is leaving the top 10 for sure, it might do it before the show starts releasing the music actually, there're several risers catching up and LD might overtake it eventually too. SD might resist or come back to the top 10 after these songs (and Christmas songs) start falling, it depends if there're other hits released in November/December.

Normally SMTM songs are released several weeks after the show starts because the first weeks they don't release new music, it's when they choose the rappers and make the teams (I've never watched the show but it's the info I remember from other years, idk if someone can confirm it)

I expect the songs to start dropping around the 2nd half of November (19th or 26th of November probably)

If purely based on digitals, what is the need for awards, the data will anyway tell the truth.

That's why awards are becoming both more controversial and more meaningless.

Like someone said above if it was totally dependent on numbers there would be no meaning behind all the built up or the ceremonies.

Well, there would be fairness, maybe not purely based on data but it's impact should be big enough to leave barely any chances for any song/album/artist to win aside from the top 2/3 that really deserves the award.

We have the Gaon (ig Circle now) music awards that are purely based on data and everybody is fine with it, the show is watched because of the performances and no one can complain about the awards they're giving.

The fact that we've completely assumed that an award is not going to be fair and we're fine with it is more than enough to prove my point.

Exactly! just like how dynamite won soty over zico's any song, even though any song did the best by far digitally.

These award shows are kinda useless

Actually Dynamite would be one of the few exceptions I'd make considering how late it was released that year and how big its impact was compared to any other song released that year, including Any song.

A bit ridiculous that there wasn't a Record of the year that year though, it could have been for Zico but as I said, without a big fandom the award shows don't care that much about you.

For the MMA (and most daesangs in any award show), if there're judge points, I think it's quite useless to try to calculate anything. Obviously they will give the awards to the artists that deserve it at least in general, but they never explain how the judge score works exactly and that gives them too much room to give the awards how they want.

I don't want to target any artist in specific but it's so obvious in many cases, and obviously those with big fandoms are often the ones with the most benefits, not their fault tho, I just want to blame the shows here.

In 2017, like Hot potato said, Exo won over IU when she had the lead by far in digital points. Exo obviously had many more votes but they were still far, but they wanted to give the daesang to Exo so that judge score could have gone 20% for Exo and 0% for IU and that alone would make up for 1/3 of the total digital score of IU, basically acting like if TTN and some b sides of Palette never happened. Spring day winning Soty that year was a similar situation but the difference wasn't as big as the ArOTY. It's simply that in a year were BTS and Exo were that active they couldn't let IU sweep the daesangs, most of the money these awards make come from the fandoms that attend to the shows, and those 2 had the biggest ones.

Last year we also had Butter winning over Celebrity when even after the huge difference in the voting score, Celebrity still had a higher total score, but somehow the judges gave many more points to Butter. This was the score after the voting:

Imagen

So basically Celebrity lost vs Butter having around a 150-160% of its digital score, with the judges giving Celebrity max around 2/3 of the judge score that they gave to Butter, I personally think that if this can happen they completely devaluate these awards, but they're always nice to brag in Twitter ig.

Oh and this is MMA, I personally consider them quite fair compared with other award shows, so you can imagine my opinion about the rest.

If there were fair awards they'd be around a 80/90% based on the pure digital/physical score, and if there're judge points they should be public and they should give an explanation, but this will never happen ofc, and it's not a problem of the korean award shows, it's the same in the western award shows too, and it's not even a matter of the music industry, you can see it in other industries in all kind of awards. We should try to be objective enough to realize how relevant these things are for real, not too much, but I understand the hype around them, I also celebrate when my favs win something lol.

It looks like BE'O's song with Zico is going to have a good performance after all. The amount of hit songs he has dropped in the last 12 months (with the help of SMTM ofc) is really impressive.

There're so many songs rising and reaching the top 10 now, even PV might struggle to resist in the top 10 at this point, next week's comebacks are going to be important.

Actually shut down peaked 15 days in, but only a tiny bit more UL than it’s first day

Sorry I was just checking the daily chart updates, if it peaked in the realtime I didn't realize.

However my point is still the same. I agree with other posts though, with better promotion the songs (PV too) could have performed better, but they will have good longevity for sure anyway.

I don't find that surprising Shut down is that stable, it's what is happening with most of the songs that manage to be in the top 3-5.

Attention hit #1 after 10 days but it took it almost a month to peak in ULs, AL peaked on the 17th day. For songs that didn't reach #1, Hype boy peaked more than a month after it was released, and Pink Venom, BP's own song peaked after 2 weeks (and the 3rd week it had just fell 3k ULs so basically the same peak).

Shut down is not even peaking, its highest ULs are still the debut day (at least not yet, it might do it in tomorrow's update but it would be by a really small difference). It makes sense it's not losing that many ULs because it's winning in most music shows now and it's the ''new'' song compared with the other 4 ggs songs released in August, but I'm not that sure about it surpassing AL, there's still a decent gap in ULs and I doubt Shut down is going to resist in the 350-400k ULs gap more than 1 or 2 weeks. It's still going to be a hit for sure though, I was quite sure about that since the beginning.

Is this true? Kinda surprised but bsides rarely are checked out

They don't even say if they mean realtime, 24h, daily...

I remember Taeyeon's U R charting in the top 3, I'm pretty sure more artists have done it during the 2nd gen, but it's possible they talk about the Melon chart after the reform and maybe it's true in that case, I don't remember any other female soloist doing it in the last 2 years.

Boring essay coming because I miss the 2nd gen.

You can consider those 4 just like Twice and BP, they're on a similar level and they all have their reasons to be considered the strongest. You could probably add T-ara too actually.

2NE1 seems the most stable but it's a bit hard to judge because of how most of their tracks are singles, the real b sides didn't chart much better than the other groups' b sides apart from their Crush album that did really good for the post price change era.

Sistar has the record that all 3rd gen stans know thanks to Twice, the 9 consecutive #1s, and they'd probably be my choice as the strongest if I had to choose just 1, they have some crazy stats like having 2 songs in the melon top 10 yearly for 2 consecutive years (2012 and 2013, counting the sub unit for 2013), and I've always felt they were a guaranteed #1 without needing the huge hiatus 2NE1 had.

SNSD could have the #1 streak record too if Gaon launched a bit before, all their singles between Oh! and Mr mr reached #1 (they were 7 in total) and the 2 previous songs were Genie and Gee, they'd have been #1s for sure. After Mr mr they released Catch me if you can that barely had any promotion at all and after that they hit #1 again with Party, so with some different timing and skipping Catch me if you can (there was a mess with this song, it was going to be released with Jessica, then Jessica left, it was postponed, it was also a single for Japan, it lacked promotion...) they could have hold the record perfectly. Also special mention to TTS hitting #1 meanwhile too. In general the b sides charted a bit worse than 2NE1 but they also had a couple of b sides in the Oh! album that could be considered minor hits.

Wonder girls is a bit hard to judge because their biggest hits were in 2007-2008 so it's difficult to compare them with the rest. Looking at how powerful they were in the first years of Gaon and how big Tell me/So hot/Nobody are considered it's obvious they'd be up there too though.

And T-ara is the one everybody always forgets about but their digital performance in their peak during 2009-2012 was as big as the others or maybe bigger. Then they had the scandal and they dropped out fast so maybe if you talk about the whole career most people would put them a step below the others, but they released as many hits during their peak to be compared to them imo. Special mention to Roly poly, best selling group song until Spring day surpassed it 1-2 years ago if I'm not wrong.

But honestly you can consider them all to be in the same tier, the difference in the success of the songs is more based on the songs themselves than in the groups, all of them were guaranteed to reach #1 at first during a long time of their careers, it's not the same situation as now.