Posts by uwuwu-99

For lovers who hesitate is probably really close to the 200M streams certification, if it starts charting like a new hit now and it has some longevity it might reach some crazy numbers, it could be a new 300M streams song.

LD is going to break the weeks in the top 10 record for sure but honestly I thought it was going to reach some more weeks. I feel it had a bit of bad luck with the new risers, BP releasing an album, a rookie no one expected with 2 songs above it, their own next comeback... But after all to be in the top 10 is a lot of times just a matter of timing, there's just room for 10 songs after all. Most of the last big hits we got these last couple of months are going to have less weeks in the top 10 than they would in a normal situation with the SMTM songs conquering Melon in November/December too sadly.

I think Blueming will be her most successful song, beating TTN eventually.

Better longevity =/= most succesful. She has around 3-5 songs more succesful than Blueming, all the longevity records are being broken nowadays, Blueming's performance is just the ''IU charting'' of this era. It's her biggest song since we have the index points but that's it.

I haven't verified, but I would bet that she always had at least 5 songs in the top 100 (features, OSTs included) in the top 100 since Palette and averages 7-8 song out of 100.

I'm not 100% sure but I think she didn't have any song charting when she released Love Poem (since Flower bookmark 2 and Love poem she just released Bbibbi so it's understandable). We had her face all over Melon because of Hotel del luna tho lol.

which award shows exclude them?

I only know circle or gaon used to disregard them for their monthly SOTY awards

GDA don't give bonsangs to these songs, Ailee in 2017 (GDA 2018) didn't even get a bonsang having the #1 song of the year. Same for Aloha a couple of years ago being in the top 3.

I'm not sure about the ''minor'' award shows but I also remember this Ailee OST not even being nominated for SOTY in MAMA so ig MAMA doesn't nominate OSTs neither, not sure about the tv shows songs.

Truthfully I'm surprised Melon Awards even consider SMTM songs for bongsang since usually award shows exclude songs associated with variety shows (same with OSTs).

Actually I've never understood why most award shows exclude these songs, I understand they might have some kind of ''advantage'' because being in the tv they might have more promotion but they're just songs after all, it's kind of weird that they don't judge them all in the same way.

Personally I'm glad Melon have always included them.

Last year MMA started counting from November 11th 2020 to November 7th 2021. I wonder when they will set it for this year since it will impact a lot due to the SMTM songs released last year. If they start counting the 8th of November, they'd leave out the first SMTM hit and BE'O would lose a decent amount of points (I assume they're including Limousine, released in the 2nd half of the month). There's also Sokodomo's song in the 2nd episode released the 13th, the biggest song of the show, it alone should be enough to make him a contender for a bonsang.

Melon has never been consistent with this, it's obvious they're aware that they leave or include some key songs/albums just by changing some days, and honestly I feel sometimes they've changed it to give awards to some artists in specific, so it's going to be interesting to see what they're going to do this year, specially considering BE'O is a big contender for ArOTY.

There were, but I believe until 2019 only the top 100 generated points. So the points of songs prior to 2019 may not be as high as you believe.

There weren't, the index that was shown by Gaon later isn't the same that we have now, they announced the new index and how they were going to change the way to calculate it when 2018 started, there's no way to compare the pre-2018 index with the post-2018 we have now. It's true there was just a top 100, but before 2016 there was a bug in the website and we could check the top 400 too.

Back then we just used streams and downloads to measure success, mainly downloads because they couldn't be manipulated by fandoms, obviously we can't do that now. The digital chart we had before could even be manipulated with the BGM chart easily by big fandoms and the numbers were not being shown.

Pre-2018 had little streaming, so the numbers were lower. Just like post 2019 downloads went down and the numbers were lower. All songs pre-2018 had this disadvantage, regardless of group, so it's fair. The index is a representation of the income generated by the song. 485m index isn't a representation of the impact necessarily.

I feel it's a fair way to compare groups. People just get rose-colored glasses about the strength of a couple years of songs to the point they think it can somehow prop up years of unsuccessful songs, as well as no even moderately performing b-side. Compared to a group that has had hits every year they've came back and b-sides that actually get sizeable index points.

Post 2018 numbers, BP will pass Twice very soon.
    Including pre-2018 numbers BP will pass Twice sometime next year.

The pre-2018 streaming numbers are there, Cheer up got 111M streams in the first year being an April release, probably more than what Love dive is going to have before the end of the year. In 2017 there were 12 songs with more than 100M streams in the yearly chart, that would be almost impossible to see now, there was as much streaming as now or more.

I'm not making up that they changed the way to calculate the index, they announced it back then.

Also you've just mentioned how the streams and downloads go up and down and that just helps my point, you can't compare the success of songs released in different years if the market is in a different situation.

I'm just going to agree that BP is going to surpass Twice though, and they've always been a stronger digital force too, it's just the number of comebacks of both groups what put Twice in that situation, I didn't really want to compare the 2 groups but to explain why the total index points are not an accurate way to compare the success through the years.

Those index points are not the same that we have now, they changed the way to calculate them in 2018, just how in 2010-2011 they had other index points (that we can't see now sadly, but I remember 2nd gen fanbases keeping track of them)

I think it's quite obvious Cheer up wouldn't have 485M index if it was the same.

As I said BP will surpass them eventually and I'm not even a once btw, but I just don't think it's a good way to compare both groups, or anyone with songs released before 2018 tbh.

About the total index points discussion, I'm not sure why you guys care about it that much? I mean, it works if you want to know who was more succesful since 2018 (still not sure about this because of how much the market changes and how there were 2017 songs that were still charting), but you can't compare the overall success of the groups that debuted before the index was created, it's like ignoring Cheer up, TT, PWF or Whistle happened.

Same for other acts, Bol4's 2017 numbers alone would probably be around 3-4B digital index points now, let's not even talk about IU and the points she'd have if the index started in 2010, she'd be 1st by far.

Regarding the comparison between Twice and BP in specific, if there was some metric that never changed since the debut of both groups, Twice would be ahead with a decent gap. BP would probably surpass them eventually (maybe with Born Pink in around a year or so it would be enough) so it's not that relevant, but I just don't think the comparison is being done correctly here.

I'm glad to see this thread is still active, I kind of feel it's what I left here and it's still the best thing of the forum. I hope you're doing fine guys, I miss you.

I just came to see what people were saying about Ive, I find their overall performance insane, and also to ask if someone know how they're doing in Japan? I've never followed the japanese charts too much but I saw around Twitter some milestones that look really good, if they become powerful there too they're going to be unstoppable.

I'm really happy to see all the ggs slaying this much in general, it has always been my dream lol, let's not even mention the fact that SNSD has released other hit after 7 years.