IU lets Netflix drama "Sound of Magic" use her song for free

• Netflix's new original series 'The Sound of Magic' producer Kim Seung-yoon expressed his thanks to singer/actress IU for letting him use her song for free. Recently, Kim Seung-yoon sat down for his interview with the press. During the interview, Kim Seung-yoon commented about the names written in the ending credit's 'special thanks to' section.

He said, "At the ending scene (of one of the episodes), we used the song 'Knees'. But in order to do that, we have to actually purchase the copyright to release 'Knees' worldwide through the series."

He continued, "So, I contacted IU for a permission. But she said, 'I wrote and composed the song myself, so please feel free to use it.' I was so thankful. IU and I got to know each other while filming 'Dream High' together.

[SBS Star] 'The Sound of Magic' Producer Reveals That IU Allowed Him to Use Her Song for Free
    Netflix's new original series 'The Sound of Magic' producer Kim Seung-yoon expressed his thanks to singer/actress IU for letting him use her song for free.
    news.sbs.co.kr

Dream High team still living on in 2022! "Knees" is from her 2015 mini album "Chatshire" and 2015 is also when she re-negotiated her contract (2008-2015 was the initial 7 years period) so it's interesting to know that IU had music publishing rights already then.

• And she did the same for Go Doo Shim's movie "Everglow", allowed them to use "Through the night". Apparently instant permission over the phone call.

As WhyKnock never tires of reminding everyone, she is the effective owner of her content - EDAM/Fave/Loen or Kakao notwithstanding.

I don't know if it is true of her pre-2014 content.

I wonder if there other is any such active idol today, who can make such decisions on the spot, without running it by/through someone else - management etc.?

And she has a legendary reputation in giving out such favours for anyone whom she has worked with, encountered etc.,

• Correction

She is the effective full owner of her contents.

• But do you know if that is the case with her pre-2014(?) period as well? Or only from Chat-Shire and on?

I do not know, and that apparently applies on works only she was involved but since she only did a few works on her own pre-2014, the rights for these would not have cost too much so it would be safe to say that Hold My Hand, Friday and a few others with only her in the writing credits would be fully hers.

In the old days copyrights were not kept well Cho Yongpil, who wrote a lot of his own songs, had his copyrights entrusted to his then company owner who was actually his employee, but the latter sold it to his own son, so Cho has to pay copyright fees to his ex-employee's son for many of Cho's older songs.

I think when Kakao established Edam such facts were discussed as well.

• I do not know, and that apparently applies on works only she was involved but since she only did a few works on her own pre-2014, the rights for these would not have cost too much so it would be safe to say that Hold My Hand, Friday and a few others with only her in the writing credits would be fully hers.

In the old days copyrights were not kept well Cho Yongpil, who wrote a lot of his own songs, had his copyrights entrusted to his then company owner who was actually his employee, but the latter sold it to his own son, so Cho has to pay copyright fees to his ex-employee's son for many of Cho's older songs.

I think when Kakao established Edam such facts were discussed as well.

This is not just about who composed or wrote lyrics - they would get royalties. But there would be conditions on broadcast, publishing, distribution etc.,

For example "Through the Night", she wasn't the composer, it was Jehwi, but as the executive producer, company owner, she could decide to have others use it for free.

So with pre-2014 content, even if she were the song writer/composer, for songs like "Friday", "Hold my hand" - it does not automatically lead that she controls their use.

Unless when LOEN became Fave became Kakao split of as EDAM, she was smarter than Taylor Swift with Scooter Braun, got control over all that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!