SM does not realize that Coachella does not matter

• Most people at Coachella are there to get high and party and could give a shit about who is actually performing, especially if it's not a headliner or sub-headliner. 88rising so by extension CL/2NE1 also performed on the main stage with no impact amongst anyone who was not already a KPOP stan

Coachella did not even matter for Blackpink, really. At the point BP performed at Coachella, they were already charting regularly in the US and Coachella was the launch point for their US tour. Their first show was The Forum the very next week. Did performing at Coachella help their career in the west because everyone at their set magically became a fan? Lol no. I think Coachella really helped them mostly because their performance blew up on social media and gained a large virtual audience. But BP already had the momentum and would have continued to chart in the US with or without Coachella.

SM does not understand this. I think they see Coachella as a massive stepping stone, otherwise they would not have Aespa making this huge leap from pre-recorded Korean awards shows to 100% live American music festival. Also, the fact that they are debuting a new song when they easily could just performed a b-side? Half the fun in Coachella is stoned influencers singing along to songs they can actually recognize...debuting a new song which no one will know the words too is an interesting choice but probably an SM tactic to get more people to tune in

In any case, as an objective non-hater and a non-delusional stan, I think SM is going about this weirdly. Also the headlines are a LAUGH and part of the reason they are being dragged. Good luck to Aespa!

Approved the thread.
  • SM U.S. tactics have always been...interesting.

That being said I'm excited for the new song and who knows? Maybe the new song will be super good and addictive and bring in fans for the girls. If not atleast we get a new song. its a win-win. Let aespa go out there and do what they do. If it helps them get popular in the west then good for them and if not atleast the girls got to experience performing there.

• a girl from the group recently posted some English covers even though she never did. there is speculation that the song will be in English. if that's the case, sm planned it well and it's a good idea to debut in a language other than Korean. after that we'll probably get teasers and a comeback soon. it's very thoughtful. coachella alone may not give them much, but they can still go viral, plus if they made a good show and sing live, they'll actually put a gun in throats for everyone who attacked them for lipsync.

• Coachella isn’t 100% live. Many artist lip sync or use backtrack.

• a girl from the group recently posted some English covers even though she never did. there is speculation that the song will be in English. if that's the case, sm planned it well and it's a good idea to debut in a language other than Korean. after that we'll probably get teasers and a comeback soon. it's very thoughtful. coachella alone may not give them much, but they can still go viral, plus if they made a good show and sing live, they'll actually put a gun in throats for everyone who attacked them for lipsync.

Releasing a song in English less than two years into their career with negligent streams in the USA and Europe is another interesting choice

Frankly, I dislike the way KPOP has been heading these past few years with this desperation for western validation. SM is especially awful at pushing their groups in the west, and they don't seem to know any better with Aespa judging from how Macy's Day. I feel like their strategy is to create false hype with headlines like "the next BTS/BP" "avengers of KPOP" which just sets their groups and gets them dragged

• I think Aespa will perform at 88rising set, some artists from day 1 aren't coming back for day 2. They probably were invited by 88rising to perform, that's why it's only 4 songs and SM saw a big opportunity and said yes. Unfortunatly 88rising set was mostly in playback for day 1.

• Aespa is just another experimental toy for SM.

That's what i take from following their promo for the girls

• SM strategy is just attaching their group to blackpink, no better promo than getting blinks attention. They love the comparisons, that is why they posted that article mentioning bp long time ago. Fully expecting them to collab with a western a-list soon, wouldn't be surprised if they go for artists bp already collabed with.

• Releasing a song in English less than two years into their career with negligent streams in the USA and Europe is another interesting choice

Frankly, I dislike the way KPOP has been heading these past few years with this desperation for western validation. SM is especially awful at pushing their groups in the west, and they don't seem to know any better with Aespa judging from how Macy's Day. I feel like their strategy is to create false hype with headlines like "the next BTS/BP" "avengers of KPOP" which just sets their groups and gets them dragged

sm has a completely different marketing tactic for aespa. aespa performed in the parade, but they also took part in show, visited many places, for example givenchy and met matthiew. they also recorded "24 with aespa" for vogue. supposed to be on pfw but something happened and sm had to abandon that plan. it's possible that coachella was already known at the time and sm just did the bare minimum. so far the company is not making any big moves, they just explore, plant the seeds and now it will begin.

gets them dragged? aes has been in this state since debut and does it somehow get in their way? see what blinks, armys, reveluvs, midzys and other fandoms are doing on twitter right now. they create accounts, have hit tweets, literally CHAOS. they talk bad about girls, but is it bad for them? they may show up from a side we haven't seen yet, a better side and when all these people come to see out of curiosity how this group is doing, they might be positively surprised. they are all tuned in and this is what aespa need. in the end, they get all this attention.

THEY CAN SING THE ORIGINAL NEXT LEVEL, WICH IS THE SAME SONG, but in english

• It's funny how Coachella went from "they were invited" to "they paid for it" and "only for important people" to "it doesn't matter" sheerly by the change of company.

• It's funny how Coachella went from "they were invited" to "they paid for it" and "only for important people" to "it doesn't matter" sheerly by the change of company.

Look, Coachella will never make or break any artist's career, independent of any companies.

And BP and Aespa have both been hit with the "they paid for it" accusations, BP maybe to a lesser extent considering they were announced weeks ahead of time and actually had somewhat of a western following at the time they performed as evidenced by their western streams and charting. I already discuss in my OP that Coachella was definitely not the start of BP's US career.

I do think BP had higher stakes than Aespa does here though. They were sub-headliners, they had a 1 hour long set and performed 10+ songs both weekends 1 and 2. Aespa are performing 4 songs on the main stage, similar to CL. Definitely less pressure, but also less exposure.

• first it was it's delusional to think aespa could perform in coachella and now coachella doesn't matter lol.

• I made a thread about this but the mods have no balls I guess, whatever. The point is, I agree with you. SM is actually straight-up getting annoying with this because they think they can break into the U.S music market by just bulldozing ahead without fixing anything.

They are the pioneers of noise music or this three-in-one kind of sound that will not take off in the U.S no matter what. But it's like they won't take a hint and just keep trying to insert their groups everywhere without even giving the actual market a real thought.

They did it with NCT, then SuperM, and now Aespa.

it's getting freaking cringe at this point and honestly, I feel like their groups are bringing down the image of Kpop t o western audiences because SM version of Kpop is literally the definition of the negative stereotype that most non-Kpop listeners think Kpop actually sounds like.

This is their third time pushing Aespa: The tragic Macy's Day Parade performance, the cringe lip-sync appearance on that Nick Cannon show, and now again at Coachella. How long are they going to keep this up before they take a hint? Maybe do actually market research?

There are a reason groups like BTS and Blackpink caught on without having their companies forcefully try and shove the group into the market. First thing first, those groups had actual interest for them there and went there to capitalize on what they already had. Meanwhile, like SuperM, Aespa doesn't appeal to the market at all.

Quite honestly Red Velvet or EXO would have been a far better choice or hell, send Taemin even.

• wtv it is not bad it is a good exposure :pepe-shrug:

• :yesr:. Taemin would've been a much better option. He is a great performer oozing with great charisma onstage.

Instead they send cringe groups :pepe-shame:

• Taemin is nuguer than aespa in US market. Aespa is quite promising actually, they got little bit below views than nct 127 got in US youtube charts without officially promoting there.

To the crowds of non-Kpop fans that will be there who are the target audience, Aespa is just as nugu. Taemin is at least a better performer with music that is actually marketable there. At this point, it seems like SM is just using Coachella to media play and earn clout cause they saw how well it played out for Blackpink. It's the same kind of noise marketing they used with SuperM to make it seem like they were larger than life in the West when they weren't.

The point is this kind of senseless using connections to get gigs might make for a great headline, but not much else. You have to actually have substance to back it up for it to really have an impact. Then again, who knows. Maybe SM will have a great team behind them to give better remixes of their songs and the girls might have improved their performance skills and sing live.

But as of right now, I'm skeptical af.

• I'll give their performance a chance, but sm is taking a huge risk at this stage in aespa's career for sure. They're an inexperienced group with no live performances under their belt (and they'll become the laughing stock of the weekend if they lip sync and do their usual fully choreographed performances especially given the media attention they've created), they've been criticised for lack of stage presence even on shows where camera work helps to create the illusion of a more exciting performance, and they don't yet have songs appealing to a western audience. It's possible they may put on an amazing live performance, win over the coachella crowd and kpop fans will be singing their praises ... but even then the benefit will be small. So I'm struggling to see how the risks are outweighed by the benefits here.

• To the crowds of non-Kpop fans that will be there who are the target audience, Aespa is just as nugu. Taemin is at least a better performer with music that is actually marketable there. At this point, it seems like SM is just using Coachella to media play and earn clout cause they saw how well it played out for Blackpink. It's the same kind of noise marketing they used with SuperM to make it seem like they were larger than life in the West when they weren't.

The point is this kind of senseless using connections to get gigs might make for a great headline, but not much else. You have to actually have substance to back it up for it to really have an impact. Then again, who knows. Maybe SM will have a great team behind them to give better remixes of their songs and the girls might have improved their performance skills and sing live.

But as of right now, I'm skeptical af.

facts

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!