Who do you think is the best KPop English lyricist in your opinion?

• Nowdays a lot of Kpop lyrics are written in English or have a lot of English components.

We all know who is the best lyricist in Korean Pop who writes in Korean. However she has no sway in the West because of her complete inability to write English lyrics.

However there are a myriad of Kpop lyricists who write English lyrics, not all of them Korean .

Who do you think writes the best KPop lyrics in English ( Ed Sheeran should not be included since he is a singer in his own right.)

• JENNIE:

I said I wanted you to stay but you're always leavin'

Never tell me where, never tell me what's the reason

When you're gone I can't tell if my heart's even beatin'

Sometimes I think it's just for you that I live and breath in

LISA:

So stay, I know you gotta be tired

When the night gets dark lemme be your fire

In the world full of lies, my only truth is you here's a letter

From me to you

“ < 4 you & her

• Yes wish they are allowed to release more English lyrics

• Is your question limited to Kpop idols who write lyrics or just any lyricist who has written for Kpop songs?

If limited to idols.

Given that lyrics is the least important component of songs today (the most popular Kpop English song so far, had "..King kong.. ding dong as its lyrics.. hardly profound lyrics. something a kid would write)

the best of Kpop idol lyricist, would be something far ordinary if objectively compared against professional lyricists,

But the glory effect will transfer and much will be made about their lyrical abilities.

Just skipped through some idol painting a parrot or something and fans going gaga.. if it were not for the fact that it was painted by the idol, nobody would give a second look at such a painting.

Lyrics are like that too.

Cases like IU or Taylor Swift, well for them the music seems to be secondary to the words in their creative process. It is quite possible that if only poetry was as lucrative, they might have been just poets.

So this would be a futile question..

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• I would say everyone, not only idols but also those who only write lyrics and do not sing.

I don't know about American poetry, but it does appear that Lee Jieun was the most notable Korean poet of 2010s since poetry has all but died in Korea (except some short snippets trimmed to twitter-size).

• I would say everyone, not only idols but also those who only write lyrics and do not sing.

I don't know about American poetry, but it does appear that Lee Jieun was the most notable Korean poet of 2010s since poetry has all but died in Korea (except some short snippets trimmed to twitter-size).

ok.

Poetry is not dead, just that it has ceased to be commercially viable, that is not just in Korea.

Poets have to necessarily align with something - lyrics writing, fiction writing, screenplay, theater, politics etc. to gain any traction.

Of course songwriting is the most aligned - hence IU is more a Idol-poetess. True of cases like Swift, Sheeran etc.

And also, it seems increasingly that guide tracks for K-pop now being produced globally is actually in English, which then someone forms into some Korean mix. So Kpop might be converting English to Korean more, than writing original English lyrics,

Lauren Aquilina wrote the original English for Ive' Eleven.

Even Through the Night, didn't IU mention that there was an English original or that she attempted English verse. I forgot.

Anyway, mass productization of a commodity, will cause it to lose cultural authenticity.

Reminds me of "Curry" - it has become so ubiquitous for spice-mix, that what the various regions of India consider curry, what UK considers as Curry, what Japanese and Koreans consider as curry.. are effectively unrecognizable, yet dumbed down as curry.

Kpop is like that now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!