yall heard about new gg that uses lgbtq as a concept????

• wtf is this open queer baiting nonsense?

is it bcos of those shipper kpop stans whose faves are all gay according to them?

does the company believe bcos of this, they will get a lot of fans and popularity?

dafuq is happening

Rookie Girl Group QODES’s Agency Under Fire For Queerbaiting With LGBTQ+ Concept MV

According to the agency, the “LALALA” music video is “centered around a queer-coded relationship” and “features acting that is directed to be homosexual.”

9sjmpCzBuJy4jNcMrZXhc4LvbROGB7qH-u-IPyImxKfpKeixtuWjcQJyC48EVw5twLcnzldwQPVI626RvWua2_uCkCQP7q91h5p8zH0AdylDWcY=w780-nu-rj-l80-e365
    NEWS
    Alicia Valley
    Alicia Valley
    3 days ago

In the wake of EJ Music Entertainment‘s announcement that its new girl group QODES will be releasing a queer-coded” music video, the agency has come under severe criticism for openly queerbaiting LGBTQ+ K-Pop fans.

Four-member hip-hop girl group QODES debuted on February 1 this year. In a recent statement, EJ Music Entertainment announced that the group’s next music video, “LALALA”, would target the LGBTQ+ K-Pop fandom. According to the agency, the music video is “centered around a queer-coded relationship” and “features acting that is directed to be homosexual.” _3LiSyxvjnYNfxNF3RgGrANBfGn0DvPhhNk56XRrKoUqe_VPnB7AmUKgxcytUJaADpdsT82IOc8wislrSbx2Y0OIItdpbnlLiGZbsR06HbrFyuee=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365| Official QODES/YouTube

In the idol industry, the ‘queer code’ has become a source of contents of its own. Even in the times when genders [and sexualities] did not come as clearly defined as they do now, fanfictions about same-sex relationships between idol group members served as one of the main ways fans consumed the ‘idol culture.’
    — EJ Music Entertainment

Shortly after the press release was published, fans began heavily criticizing QODES’s agency for blatant queerbaiting. kfFxl6w5HlTUDJSURLseKOHn29-fPXXn7RuTNoC3_Vp8b-rgrYBu8QSRD0Q067MJgmAGIhR7_QuCaBKkHgcEnT8kIN60jkX57QAbnfh240vGqNk=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365| Official QODES/YouTube

As the name suggests, queerbaiting is a term used when content creators try to attract (or “bait”) an LGBTQ+ audience by dropping hints of same-gender relationships that never really happen. TV shows, books, and more can all be guilty of queerbaiting, which usually involves inserting queer subtext or romantic tension between two heterosexual lead characters. eRQ1A6X891T25pp9uySNjOTQhODMfAjPdnC6jWN9XdDuHlyEBNtCRUIQjEkOW-BmjJzxZVl5TQs-ZkVpSCZwKCK2Pkn3vfr9f4NbbMU4eFXwIgU=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365Riverdale’s Betty and Veronica. | The CW

The relationships between Glee‘s Rachel and Quinn, Riverdale‘s Betty and Veronica, and Supergirl‘s Kara and Lena have all been interpreted as queerbait in the past. Typically, creators bait their queer audiences to cash in on what’s known as “pink money”—the buying power of the LGBTQ+ community. In 2019, the LGBTQ+ market was estimated at approximately $3.7 trillion USD. H3iPRMn8cMBM-uLlQvUiynSuGT61q-s5GWusq7I--zIl0rjnAaAj-KmiuqAuITZWzrRtjwlEiQbZHX2_Mgz5G6z7mv-0m1ts96yyq4QSecBboMWw=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365Pride march in Seoul, South Korea | Yonhap News

In this case, the material in question is QODES’s upcoming music video for “LALALA”. Members Delta and Lambda portray the aforementioned queer “acting” in a teaser clip uploaded ahead of the full music video’s February 17 release. Since neither of the members spoke on their sexualities and EJ Music Entertainment refers to the on-screen relationship as a “performance“, the music video appears to fall under the definition of queerbaiting. 3Dzf-hnnyooCzW9eKG2qoXgSzne9QfyeE5F2KM1fRKHYiel8PqZhbYxe1O1_-0-VE7gw57tnx3_0zlgQ7Fx9AwLvhYKZ4ihmpvMniL_8KBAg9A=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365| Official QODES/YouTube

Fans across the world have expressed serious disappointment that EJ Music Entertainment is reducing the LGBTQ+ sexuality spectrum to nothing more than a concept for financial gain. The company’s admission to using “queer-coding” as a source of content has shocked and offended many, with numerous fans calling the move WLW (women-loving-women) fetishization—reducing queer women to a source of entertainment and titillation for others.

LGBTQ+ fans and allies are also pointing out the inappropriacy of using a lesbian storyline as a marketing ploy when openly gay stars in Korea—such as singer Holland—have faced rampant homophobia in the past, and still do today. QODES’s controversy comes just days after SBS was condemned for cutting out and blurring same-sex kiss scenes in a broadcast of the hit movie Bohemian Rhapsody.

Given the typical response to outward displays of homosexuality in South Korea, some have even suggested that QODES’s music video could be a form of outrage marketing—aiming to anger a homophobic audience in the hope that they spread your content. iGFAzSVvm752AXH2B47O8B7evS2YLBROWmsEHjyXuwANdGlL4GWdLcJVH9DDYIiw2Y-m5w6affzaDTIGnaSAw6Fh6x-3PZ9BAWq6PGtYg5B05NXM=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365“Bohemian Rhapsody” | 20th Century Fox

I still suffer from PTSD and depression because of the trauma I faced when my friend told the whole school my secret, and I became the victim of homophobic bullying… The people who bullied me are promoting as idols and actors just fine.
    — Holland, Kyunghyang News

On top of that, numerous LGBTQ+ K-Pop fans themselves have suffered bullying, ridicule, shame, and mental and physical harm because of their sexualities. In South Korea, WLW and MLM (men-loving-men) couples cannot get married, have legal partnerships, adopt children, seek IVF or surrogacy, or serve in the military. In a 2016 survey, 16% of gay people in the country revealed they were recommended to undergo conversion therapy after coming out. uQqa4UQvwjlS9EKbrNUlV2r04LJ359r7kqMhvsv-WUgYNXF-q2JcnVs6lHyvfyOacP56RrNdriwEkF6yp5FYlhG7PgR4erES8LNl-xMUVQLcv-HO=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365| Ryu Seung Il/NurPhoto

To use the queer community as a prop to rack up music video views, fans say, is inappropriate, offensive, and ignorant of the past and current struggles the community itself faces.

As of yet, EJ Music Entertainment is yet to issue any follow-up statements on “LALALA”

reference: koreaboo article

638e00a6ef5a3336174dd7d7b4c14680.gif

Edited once, last by BRIYANI ().

• this is so fucked up. who even thought this would be a good thing??? this isn't a damn zoo or a circus, lgbtq+ people are just people, not entertainment... this company is making straight idols pretend to be gay for a gimmick but if they actually were gay they'd treat them like shit... i feel bad for actual lgbtq+ idols who can't even feel safe to come out and then this company goes and makes a mockery of them.

• I’m bi and honestly if a big group did that I would have been offended. But since they’re a small group from a small company i get that they need attention so i’m not very mad about it

• Yeah we heard, and I'm so uncomfortable :pepe-tea:

And I know it's not their fault, they don't decide the concept, but I'm low-key pissed at the girls who accepted to debut with this kind of concept.

Here is hoping that it flops hard :pepe-toast:

• Wtf this is terrible but so is when companies made pride clothing knowing lgbtqia people will buy it. Also support Harisu first openly trans artist in korea

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• queerbaiting gone wild, I mean wtf is this industry? blacklist lgbtq idols then use their sexuality as a cocept, LMAO

i partially think its stems from the fan service things they do and the fact that the fans eat it up.. fans love it when idols act sexual towards each other.. and this fked up company took it to next level... i rather they debuted actual lgbtq+ idols and let them talk about love and sex....

• yes i posted about them earlier!

delta did a vocal video that was interesting (i’m anticipating them but already despise the company for that lgbt concept stuff. their apology was bs too)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I haven't seen the music video or anything so I don't know to what extent the LGBT community is 'being used' but isn't that what you want? To be seen, represented, recognized as a community? But you're shooting down this group that is doing that.

• i partially think its stems from the fan service things they do and the fact that the fans eat it up.. fans love it when idols act sexual towards each other.. and this fked up company took it to next level... i rather they debuted actual lgbtq+ idols and let them talk about love and sex....

True , I too hate it wen i see idols acting all attracted and sexual towards each other in name of fan service .

Fans really need to understand that even if they were really attracted to each other , would they show it right when the camera is on and filming them . Companies shld stop using too much fan service to attract ppl

• I haven't seen the music video or anything so I don't know to what extent the LGBT community is 'being used' but isn't that what you want? To be seen, represented, recognized as a community? But you're shooting down this group that is doing that.

It’s not representation. In the K-POP industry where LGBTQ+ idols are shut from broadcast, blocked and looked down upon, using ‘queer-coding’ for capitalism is more of an insult. Not only are the benefiting from LGBTQ+ content that isn’t genuine since it’s only queer baiting, they’re opressing actual LGBTQ+ idols and preventing them from been seen.

they are not LGBTQ. they are using LGBTQ as a concept. how is that any good for actual LGBTQ people. their sexuality and the struggles that come with that are not a stupid concept for a kpop group.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!