BLACKPINK Singles Charting Performance on GAON Digital Top 100 (debut - 2021)

• Finally finished compiling the chart showing BLACKPINK's charting performance on the GAON Digital Top 100:

BLACKPINK Singles charting 19-Feb-2021.png

This chart shows you how long a song stayed on the GAON Digital Top 100 chart. (Note that this only tracks digital performance - streams, downloads, etc., not physical album sales.) The solid lines are for title tracks of albums / EPs with new songs, the dashed lines are for B-sides. (I did not include B-side tracks, like Kick It, that only appeared once on the Top 100, as that would just clutter up the chart with insignificant data)

Note: For those who may not know or who may be confused between GAON and Melon, GAON is the official record chart for the music industry of Korea. Melon is just one of the digital streaming platforms in Korea, albeit the most popular one. A good analogy would be GAON = Billboard, while Melon = Spotify. GAON combines data from all the major Korean digital music platforms, including Melon, Flo, Genie, Bugs, Naver, Kakao Music, etc.

Some interesting statistics:

Song No. of weeks on Top 100 chart
    Boombayah 19
    Whistle 32
    Playing With Fire 51
    Stay 7
    As If It's Your Last 67
    Ddu-Du Ddu-Du 50
    Forever Young 36
    Really 5
    See U Later 4
    Kill This Love 26
    Don't Know What to Do 10
    How You Like That 34 (ongoing)
    Ice Cream (with Selena Gomes) 15
    Lovesick Girls 20 (ongoing)
    Bet You Wanna (feat. Cardi. B.) 6
    Pretty Savage 11

Average of all Tracks that charted in the GAON Digital Top 100 = 24.21 weeks on Top 100 chart *

Average of all Title Tracks that charted in the GAON Digital Top 100 = 33.37 weeks on Top 100 chart*

* note that these two figures do not include the numbers for How You Like That and Lovesick Girls, as they are still ongoing.

Some interesting things I spotted:

• Playing with Fire actually lasted longer on the Top 100 than D4 did, by one week. Although clearly D4 charted better overall.
    • At first, I thought a good pattern that I spotted was that the release of a new album / EP title track would cause previous tracks that were still charting to experience a massive bump. This happened with PWF when AIIYL was released, and again with AIIYL when D4 was released. However, the pattern appeared to be broken when KTL was released. There was no noticeable increase in D4's charting performance, and it continued to slide. I don't know how to explain that.
    • Forever Young and Stay are very interesting opposites. Forever Young is a B-side that charted really more like a title track, while Stay was a title track that charted more like a B-side. I have a sneaking suspicion this could be due to music show promotions, but I don't know enough about how much Stay was promoted relative to Forever Young that might explain this difference. Anyone have any ideas?
  • To answer your queries:

1) KTL was released amid YG scandal with burning sun. All the media were against YG at that point of time. Even KTL wasnt received very well on chart as compared to D4. KTL was only promoted for 1 week before BP went to US for promotion. So, it is reasonable their old catalog didnt get a boost.

(Side question: did all the songs get a boost when HYLT dropped)

2) Stay was released alongside PWF as double title tracks. They only promoted Stay one week during comeback week. PWF is the main title similar to whistle (boombayah is secondary title which is promoted 1 week).

IIRC, actually YG didnt really specify that which are the title tracks back then. Just said two "new songs". But fans mainly treat Whistle and PWF as the main cause they are promoted longer.

Forever young was actually doing quite good on chart alongside D4 since the Square Up drops. BP even promoted Forever young for few weeks after ending D4 promotion. Hence,it is also reasonable for Forever young, despite not a title track, to be doing well. It is similar to OMG's dolphin. No mv just promotion on music shows, but the difference is FY already doing well since beginning.

• wow, KTL is longest charting BP song, 81 weeks, who would have known that? lol many fans claim it as worst BP song.

In the top 200? Yeah I think so. Not top 100.

Yeah, sorry, I made a careless data entry error there. The actual number of weeks is 26, not 81. (81 was the last position it held on the chart before dropping to the bottom.) Darn, that threw off all my calculation of averages too... I've edited my earlier post and recalculated the averages.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :-)

• Updating this chart to show the charting performance of How You Like That and Lovesick Girls:

BLACKPINK Singles charting 23 Jun 2021.png

At this point, I think it's safe to say that both HYLT and LSG will comfortably perform better on the charts than D4 and PWF. The only question is whether they will do better than AIIYL.

• Updating this chart to show the charting performance of How You Like That and Lovesick Girls:

At this point, I think it's safe to say that both HYLT and LSG will comfortably perform better on the charts than D4 and PWF. The only question is whether they will do better than AIIYL.

LSG might, but I have doubts about HYLT.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

I think LSG has high chance.

Dont think HYLT can make it. Usually hype song doesnt last that long

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!