Did melon shoot itself in the foot by removing real time charts?

• I'd say it played somewhat of a part but...eh not really. We can see that they even lowkey brought it back with T100 which can be influenced by fandoms if dedicated enough (see: LYW) yet ULs haven't really recovered. I think it's just a matter of cheaper, more efficient music streaming services starting to appear on the market. Spotify will probably get a big part of the market share once it offers freemium in Korea.

• No, they brought back real time charting with Melon Top 100 and it didnt do anything except make UL counts worse. Melon Top 100 is as worthless as Bugs and Genie realtime charts.

Melon needs to go back to pure unadulterated UL counts for all their charts. Get rid of fandom downloads impacting the charts as well, that's doublecounting since one account can stream AND download and will end up counting twice.

Right now the only charts that matter are Melon 24 hits/Daily, Flo and Vibe since they truly reflect GP interest. Melon Top 100, Genie realtime, Bugs realtime are irrelevant.

• Hmm no lol, if you are referring to genie, yt and other platforms grabbing some marketshare from melon that was going to happen regardless. They still dominate and their current chart is probably the most accurate one, well they kinda ruined it a bit after the last change but still

• No, they brought back real time charting with Melon Top 100 and it didnt do anything except make UL counts worse. Melon Top 100 is as worthless as Bugs and Genie realtime charts.

Melon needs to go back to pure unadulterated UL counts for all their charts. Get rid of fandom downloads impacting the charts as well, that's doublecounting since one account can stream AND download and will end up counting twice.

Right now the only charts that matter are Melon 24 hits/Daily, Flo and Vibe since they truly reflect GP interest. Melon Top 100, Genie realtime, Bugs realtime are irrelevant.

You can’t just go back people have loved on so that doesn’t prove anything.

• The average Park doesn't want their chart flooded by mass streaming. The stan Kang wants their mass streaming to have results. Melon has to appeal to both.

But I don't know how much that affects user interest on Melon.

• Melon had so many controversies surrounding their owners and also sajaegi allegations thats why they lost users. Flo also took users from them when it was introduced. Youtube is also taking users from them.

• The average Park doesn't want their chart flooded by mass streaming. The stan Kang wants their mass streaming to have results. Melon has to appeal to both.

But I don't know how much that affects user interest on Melon.

I disagree. An average fan probably doesn’t give a shit and is listening to their playlist. Vast majority of the ppl I know listen to their own playlists.

We can argue one way or the other but chart position does nothing for the listening experience imo.

Like do I care than top 1-10 is filled with some tiktok viral songs that have like 15 sec of good audio and rest is shit? No. No I don’t. :pepe-cross:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!