Could Red Velvet’s debut have been better?

• Red Velvet’s “Happiness.” Other Sm groups debut all make some noise. “Into the New World” by SNSD and “Replay” by Shinee are classics and still are being covered. “The 7th Sense” is lauded for its quality. Aespa’s “Black Mamba” introduces their universe. But I never hear non fans or fans of Red Velvet hype this song up? Do you think they should have had a better debut song or is this song still important to their concept?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes be naturel is better and smth like russian roulette would’ve been better too. It’s hard to like all their songs because some are velvet and some are red but honestly debut doesn’t matter that much. The songs you release after matters more

• I’m one of those people that actually didn’t hate this song lol and i find the mv fine. I especially love the lyrics and the message the song conveys; yall should check it out. Also I don’t get why people don’t like the hair dyes bc it was definitely unique and helped you differentiate the girls at debut, plus it’s not like they look bad or anything

Edited once, last by Whi ().

• I’m one of those people that actually didn’t hate this song lol and i find the mv fine. I especially love the lyrics and the message the song conveys; yall should check it out. Also I don’t get why people don’t like the hair dyes bc it was definitely unique and helped you differentiate the girls at debut, plus it’s not like they look bad or anything

Agreed. People are suddenly paying attention to and focusing on lyrics.

But 'Happiness' has actually a great message in its lyrics, the same for a number of other songs of Red Velvet, like 'Power Up', 'Pose' and others.

Red Velvet’s “Happiness.” Other Sm groups debut all make some noise. “Into the New World” by SNSD and “Replay” by Shinee are classics and still are being covered. “The 7th Sense” is lauded for its quality. Aespa’s “Black Mamba” introduces their universe. But I never hear non fans or fans of Red Velvet hype this song up? Do you think they should have had a better debut song or is this song still important to their concept?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ITNW by SNSD became a classic and anthem song later on, I'm not so sure it had that status right from the start. It's well deserved though, the MV was great, the song has a great vibe and the choreo was phenomenal too.

I think SM groups have a tradition of not having an explosive launch, but getting their strides later on: like SNSD with Gee, EXO with Growl and Aespa with Next Level, NCT, RV, Super Junior and so on.

I think it's partly because SM just aren't as good in hype promoting as YG are and JYP with their girl groups. You'll see that their groups often have a flying start right from launch. In fact, the opposite, SM are often even powerless to combat fake news rumors and controversies before and around their group's debuts. Only until much later are they able to deal with it (if ever).

But it's also because Red Velvet's debut felt rushed and out of the blue, and SM's promotion around it felt messy and chaotic.

As for the song and MV itself, those are not bad at all and actually pretty good: the song was cute and bright, but had a powerful message, the sound was different and had some unusual influences which made it more interesting to listen to, and it was a great introduction to Red Velvet's vocals and the members.

I'm pretty sure that with better preparation and promotion by SM, the song would have done better and also that Red Velvet would have had a better introduction debut instead of getting squeezed between f(x) comeback and SNSD's major scandal with Jessica's departure.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!