Difference between IDOL and IDOL-SINGER in kpop

• I think the difference is not in the performance aspect. I believe an idol is more accessible and interactive than a singer.

The difference is in the performance aspect.

I don't think Jungkook, IU or Wendy are not more accessible or interactive than Irene or Chaeun woo

I always primarily viewed idols as all-around entertainers rather than singers,since that's essentially what pop music is in general.

But singers can be also an idols , they can be all-around entertainers , we have so many example

~*~

• Panpriyah-lice

Changed the title of the thread from “Difference between IDOL and SINGER in kpop” to “Difference between IDOL and IDOL-SINGER in kpop”.
  • I know what you trying to say here but I do think it’s different from previous generations. Fans are easy to pick up and shade idols who don’t sing live, don’t sing good. There are of course difference in skill level but I don’t think there is an idol out there who can’t sing at all.

• I know what you trying to say here but I do think it’s different from previous generations. Fans are easy to pick up and shade idols who don’t sing live, don’t sing good. There are of course difference in skill level but I don’t think there is an idol out there who can’t sing at all.

Ok but the gap of skill is so obvious

Ofc , they can sing but they sing mostly like normal people ... so i don't get it why fan call them Idol & singer , they are just Idol

~*~

• But most of them are bad singer too

Don’t know about vocals in 2nd gen even if they are quite good singers but as soon 3rd gen has taken over, companies have been focused on dancing, and performances, the idol training when it comes to vocals is just a mess, most idols are hired for their visuals and some are lucky they got a good voice.

I think there are some good singers but most of them are C-list singers, I believe if Companies had the same energy as dancing training, idols would have been better singers.

• the idol training when it comes to vocals is just a mess, most idols are hired for their visuals and some are lucky they got a good voice.

I believe if Companies had the same energy as dancing training, idols would have been better singers.

exactly

Companies are more obsessed with the " idol image " than to worry about the vocal capacity of their Idol

~*~

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

according to Lee Jieun, who effectively owns Edam Entertainment,

she doesn't think idols are inferior from singers/artists and she thinks idols and singers/artist can be the same.

• I also agree that Kpop idol doesn't need to be a good singer. The difference between an idol and a singer is not whether they can sing well or not, it's just that they have different kind of job.

• Ok but the gap of skill is so obvious

Ofc , they can sing but they sing mostly like normal people ... so i don't get it why fan call them Idol & singer , they are just Idol

Well, I feel like if they sing for a living, then they're a singer.... doesn't mean they're a good singer, but they're still a singer. Just like we don't generally make a distinction when people are bad actors. If they act for a living, we call them actors no matter how good they are.

• idols are like the GPs (General practitioners) of Korean entertainment, they manage a bit of many things - sing, dance, rap, act, model, but rarely are the best in anything, except perhaps "fan-service".

Idol-ing should be considered a profession by itself. And then talk about idols who are more focused on singing or dancing or whatever.

As to IU's opinion, disparaging idols is definitely objectionable, but that does not mean there are not distinctions or hierarchies within the same profession, of different categories.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!