Do you get bothered when people praise idols who sing live or write their own songs?

• yes and no

i don’t get bothered at all like good for them they’re talented

but it does bother me when they make it sound like they’re soooooo much better than everyone else because they self produce or sing live more like wrdgaf

btw i voted yes on accident 😭

• why would that bothered anyone ??

what bothers me is when people appreciate these idols by putting the others down but otherwise ofc it doesn't bother me at all

• unfortunately yes, at least at the self producing, writing their own songs part.

To write/produce/compose etc your own songs/lyrics etc is a given in dozens of music genres, hell, even high school rock bands are expected to have 2 or 3 song of their own after a couple of months of playing together, and even first time rappers are expected to write their own verses. So for me it is not something crazy or incredible. And, to be honest, I don't have a problem when kpop fans praise self-producing idols when the whole thing goes like this "hey, such and such idol group writes and produces their own music, isn't that awesome? I really like how they can express themselves and I like the outcome of their creative process". My problem starts when the fans go a step further and:

a) bring down other artists in kpop that do not write and produce their music as if they don't have any artistic merit, regardless if the self-produced track might be worse than the non self-produced track, or even the performance is worse or whatever. And we are talking full on disrespectful name calling, not only towards the non self produced idols, but also personal attacks towards fans of said idol even when they say or do nothing in return.

b) in the same breath, they exclaim how the self-producing kpop idols they support are so much more talented and greater music artists, composers, lyricists and so on than the artists on other genres, genres where song writing, lyrics writing, self-recording, producing etc are things even the most basic and amateurish representatives of those scenes are expected to do. And no, day6 and n.flying are not better musicians, composers and arrangers than Plini, Mono or Snarky Puppy, GD is in no way near to be a producer at the level of a Butch Vig or Steve Albini, RM cannot hold a candle against Pain of Salvation's Daniel Gildenlow or Opeth's Mikael Aekerfeldt, or hell, even my chemical romance's Gerard Way, when it comes to creating lyrical themes and concept album storytelling, and there is definitely no female idol even close to be compared to Bjork.

• A lot of peeps on twitter gets offended, because their favs are merely performers who've never experienced songwriting or producing songs. All these popular groups have such fans.

• Not offended. Nothing like that should offend ppl but like if you mean makes me roll my eyes …then it’s when it’s not very good but that’s got more to do with praising mediocrity in general. People seem to think the very act of song writing and singing live is commendable when it’s…not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!