In today’s edition of Tic shares her unwarranted unsolicited opinions : I don’t think SM “forces” anyone to lip sync

• If they lip sync, it’s out of their own volition. And yes I mean this for EXO too. And I can usually tell when exo is live.

For me it always felt like they were cognizant enough to pick and choose their battles. And as their fan I was completely okay with that because for the vast majority of the time I know they’re live. Just gotta hear ksoo ad lib to know exo is live af lol.

Anyway for me it never felt that it was “compulsion” from SM. Even during debut era exo had performances where they strained their vocals and sang mama (hello MAMA voice crack compilation :pepe-joy:) and other times where they said fuck this shit are you kidding me gimmie that LIVE AR. :pepe-cut:

With time another thing that changed was the level of their backtrack. From lost planet to exploration you can literally hear how EXO’s backtrack sounds progressively got mellower.

I don’t want to attribute EXO’s victories and their natural maturing to just their company. It feels disrespectful tbh.

Fans need to stop putting every blame on the company IMO. An idol’s confidence and abilities also play a part.

• doesnt sm usually lipsync comeback stages?

but that of course doesn't correlate to other stages

• This. People keep bringing up SM like Aespa's management team and their decisions runs the whole damn company.

Never implied that. It was actually on the opposite. That regardless of who is managing i believe the artist have control over this. And that’s my personal opinion.

BTW this is not just an aespa thing. EXOL have vehemently argued that SM forced EXO to lip sync as well.

• Never implied that. It was actually on the opposite. That regardless of who is managing i believe the artist have control over this. And that’s my personal opinion.

BTW this is not just an aespa thing. EXOL have vehemently argued that SM forced EXO to lip sync as well.

I know you fool. I'm referring to all the stupid comments I've seen today somehow blaming SM for "forcing" Aespa to lip-sync.

• I'm not so sure about that. I am a firm believer that the surge of lipsynching is closely linked to kpop agencies and broadcast companies' obsession with selling an illusion of perfection, especially after kpop started attracting international attention. Lipsynching to prerecorded vocals has become an industry standard, it happens both in music shows AND company-produced performance videos. I don't think EXO lipsynch any less or more than most of their label mates such as NCT, SHINee, SJ and TVXQ (not counting 2nd generation era before the introduction of LAR videos)

In a different piece of news, user Chounim is utterly shocked that in this ripe year of 2021 kpop fans are still acting like lipsynching is an SM thing. Are you all sure we're watching the same music and award shows? because in the ones i do watch, the number of genuine live performances is abysmal, squint and you'd miss it.

• No I think music shows have progressively become more reliant on loud backtracks and ARs even in general. Music show lip sync is a separate issue. I was talking about other broadcast performances, concerts, gayos etc outside of that.

makes sense.

I would have to agree with that. I think it's just so strange that that aespa is 1 year old and hasn't had a live " stage" other than their encore.

• In a different piece of news, user Chounim is utterly shocked that in this ripe year of 2021 kpop fans are still acting like lipsynching is an SM thing. Are you all sure we're watching the same music and award shows? because in the ones i do watch, the number of genuine live performances is abysmal, squint and you'd miss it.

Just to provide you the argument that I've been seeing from some bizarre posts in other threads, people are more mad about it in the case of Aespa because:

A. They don't know how actually to give/sell a performance/lipsync

and

B. Their vocals are way to good to not actually be singing

:nct6:

• I'm not so sure about that. I am a firm believer that the surge of lipsynching is closely linked to kpop agencies and broadcast companies' obsession with selling an illusion of perfection, especially after kpop started attracting international attention. Lipsynching to prerecorded vocals has become an industry standard, it happens both in music shows AND company-produced performance videos. I don't think EXO lipsynch any less or more than most of their label mates such as NCT, SHINee, SJ and TVXQ (not counting 2nd generation era before the introduction of LAR videos)

In a different piece of news, user Chounim is utterly shocked that in this ripe year of 2021 kpop fans are still acting like lipsynching is an SM thing. Are you all sure we're watching the same music and award shows? because in the ones i do watch, the number of genuine live performances is abysmal, squint and you'd miss it.

I agree! I agree exo don’t do it less or more. That actually feeds into this. I think they’ll choose some performance where they’re like I ain’t about this life ain’t no one singing kokobop for the 84million’th time. And it’s not a forced thing.

What I want to say is when they lip sync it’s by their choice. I haven’t kept track of who does it more or less. Just that if they do it for me it’s not a compulsion.

• In a different piece of news, user Chounim is utterly shocked that in this ripe year of 2021 kpop fans are still acting like lipsynching is an SM thing. Are you all sure we're watching the same music and award shows? because in the ones i do watch, the number of genuine live performances is abysmal, squint and you'd miss it.

true. basically, every performance is not live. sometimes its just nice to hear an idols voice over the backtrack ;(;(

• From the perspective of a singer/voice major:

It would be STUPID for idols to sing live 100% of the time in the settings they sing in and in the style. I don't think people understand that pop music and it's counterparts are incredibly tough on the voice. There is obviously technique to ever style of singing, but sometimes pop music requires you to disregard some of those techniques which can be a strain to the voice and damaging overtime. I do opera and classical. There is clear cut technique for what I do. My vowels follow IPA, my breathing technique is written in the books. But pop music is incredibly diverse and requires you to "stand out" and "break the rules" to be noticed more. Thats why we have all of these voice cracks and artists that sound like they're dying when they hit 35. Especially Kpop idols who are expected to belt early on in their debuts (Such as EXO with Mama, though their voices have progressed beautifully and they've been doing more music individually suited to their talents and vocals which is good to see). You can tell who focuses on technique in Exo. I would absolutely love to be a voice coach for a label over in SK just to learn what they're learning.

It's healthy to give your voice a break. Nothing wrong with lip syncing. From a performance aspect, that gives you a chance to focus on mainly the visual aspect of your performance and find weak points in that aspect which can contribute to a better performance overall. The only time I see an issue with lip syncing is if it's done out of laziness. But that's not usually the case. Voice breaks are healthy!!

• doesn't lsm say lipsync is its own genre lol.

• How do we know that's a company decision that they are lipsyncing as opposed to an artist decision or one that was made jointly?

An artist don't go on stage with the intent to lipsync if their company doesn't tell them to. Singing is apart of the job, they are supposed to go on stage to sing live. They don't do otherwise unless their company tells them to, or they find that during the performance they can't hold a steady note like dancing (which is understandable idols are human beings). Aespa was lipsyncing the entire time, the music was purposefully arranged for them to lipsync. It was their management's intention to go in that way.

It would be STUPID for idols to sing live 100% of the time in the settings they sing in and in the style. I don't think people understand that pop music and it's counterparts are incredibly tough on the voice. There is obviously technique to ever style of singing, but sometimes pop music requires you to disregard some of those techniques which can be a strain to the voice and damaging overtime. I do opera and classical. There is clear cut technique for what I do. But pop music is incredibly diverse and requires you to "stand out" to be noticed more. Thats why we have all of these voice cracks and artists that sound like they're dying when they hit 35. Especially Kpop idols who are expected to belt early on in their debuts (Such as EXO with Mama, though their voices have progressed beautifully and they've been doing more music individually suited to their talents and vocals which is good to see). You can tell who focuses on technique in Exo. I would absolutely love to be a voice coach for a label over in SK just to learn what they're learning.

It's healthy to give your voice a break. Nothing wrong with lip syncing. From a performance aspect, that gives you a chance to focus on mainly the visual aspect of your performance and find weak points in that aspect which can contribute to a better performance overall. The only time I see an issue with lip syncing is if it's done out of laziness. But that's not usually the case. Voice breaks are healthy!!

WORD

The reason I feel it’s idol’s choice is that I think they themselves know when they can give their voice a break and how much they need to push themselves.

It would be STUPID for idols to sing live 100% of the time in the settings they sing in and in the style. I don't think people understand that pop music and it's counterparts are incredibly tough on the voice. There is obviously technique to ever style of singing, but sometimes pop music requires you to disregard some of those techniques which can be a strain to the voice and damaging overtime. I do opera and classical. There is clear cut technique for what I do. My vowels follow IPA, my breathing technique is written in the books. But pop music is incredibly diverse and requires you to "stand out" and "break the rules" to be noticed more. Thats why we have all of these voice cracks and artists that sound like they're dying when they hit 35. Especially Kpop idols who are expected to belt early on in their debuts (Such as EXO with Mama, though their voices have progressed beautifully and they've been doing more music individually suited to their talents and vocals which is good to see). You can tell who focuses on technique in Exo. I would absolutely love to be a voice coach for a label over in SK just to learn what they're learning.

I think a lot of fans are just upset that aespa doesn't have 1 live performance other than a music show encore.

so it makes sense how many would feel sm is trying to control them.

• I agree! I agree exo don’t do it less or more. That actually feeds into this. I think they’ll choose some performance where they’re like I ain’t about this life ain’t no one singing kokobop for the 84million’th time. And it’s not a forced thing.

What I want to say is when they lip sync it’s by their choice. I haven’t kept track of who does it more or less. Just that if they do it for me it’s not a compulsion.

There is another factor that comes into play, which is the equipement and conditions provided to them. I remember back in 2014, MBC LIED about how they were going to ban lipsynching (what they meant was that they were going to force everyone to use LAR), then Ryeowook went on twitter to diss them and said something along the lines of "how about you all provide decent equipement first before you force idols to sing live and end up getting dragged for things out of their control". He got dragged and clowned by k-netz for supposedly being scared of having to sing live, but that's beside the point lol.

my point is we really don't know what happens behind closed doors and what circumstances lead to idols deciding or having to lipsynch certain performances and not others. There isn't even a clear pattern here, it is all very random and arbitrary.

• I only trust ksoo ad libs can’t fake that shit :pepe-hehe:

PERIODDD. AND NO ONE CAN REPLICATE EITHER!!!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is another factor that comes into play, which is the equipement and conditions provided to them. I remember back in 2014, MBC LIED about how they were going to ban lipsynching (what they meant was that they were going to force everyone to use LAR), then Ryeowook went on twitter to diss them and said something along the lines of "how about you all provide decent equipement first before you force idols to sing live and end up getting dragged for things out of their control". He got dragged and clowned by k-netz for supposedly being scared of having to sing live, but that's beside the point lol.

my point is we really don't know what happens behind closed doors and what circumstances lead to idols deciding or having to lipsynch certain performances and not others. There isn't even a clear pattern here, it is all very random and arbitrary.

Agreed with all this. Equipment, idol state, and a variety of other things feed into this.

But some are spreading this false narrative that SM the company decides before hand that this group will lip sync for their rookie year. Like bro exo did NOT fumble their MAMA live notes embarrassingly all through their debut years for people to say that SM defaults ppl to lip sync. Instead of it being decided by certain factors.

• Agreed with all this. Equipment, idol state, and a variety of other things feed into this.

But some are spreading this false narrative that SM the company decides before hand that this group will lip sync for their rookie year. Like bro exo did NOT fumble their MAMA live notes embarrassingly all through their debut years for people to say that SM defaults ppl to lip sync. Instead of it being decided by certain factors.

please can you stop talking about those MAMA debut stages :pepe-cut:

• I think a lot of fans are just upset that aespa doesn't have 1 live performance other than a music show encore.

so it makes sense how many would feel sm is trying to control them.

I don't know too much about Aespa, but I do know they're newer/debuted around a year ago. It would make sense for them to be lip syncing now as I'm sure they're doing a ton of rehearsals behind the scene. They've gotta be vocally exhausted.

Women's voices don't typically begin to fully develop until around age 25. Sometimes longer for women with lower voices. The youngest member is my age and with the state of my voice, MAN I don't blame them for lip syncing haha. 19-22 are some of the most awkward ages for high female voices.

I don't think it's a matter of control. I would rather lip sync in the beginning to give my voice time to develop, especially to prevent vocal fatigue.

• Agreed with all this. Equipment, idol state, and a variety of other things feed into this.

rookie exo were FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIVES singing this live ;(;(

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• rookie exo were FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIVES singing this live ;(;(

External Content www.youtube.com

Ok but real talk it's still impressive af LMAO

• well, THAT is funny. also when groups are frightened shitless when they have to cover EXO's songs in survival shows :cryingr:

LMAOOO the way the best cover of EXO on a survival show was one where they weren't singing live

:cryingr:

External Content youtu.be

• This thread contains 53 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!