What function do the mentors of Girls999 actually have besides looking pissed 24/7?

• Like this is a dab at Mnet. Why do they only show them making sour faces or saying mean things à la “you won’t do it“ all over again. That dance guy (mihawk?) is okayish and Tiffany has sometimes somewhat useful feedback but the rest are only shown being dissatisfied and disappointed, especially these vocal teachers.

Shouldn’t mentors help and encourage instead of talking down to the trainees? Mnet is really trying to show the wrong way of teaching. The chinese produce versions were far nicer and focused on friendship instead of trash tv drama.

Tl;dr: mnet is shitty

• Yeah Mihawk and Tiffany are only masters that as fans we can like and 'approve'.

Overall that's misscasting, especially two vocal masters. They should cast someone who's well known in 'kpop world'.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have a feeling with editing being MNet's main weapon now that the mentors are more like puppets to make what MNet wants the viewers to think of the contestants happen (I won't be surprised if these mentors are told by MNet what to say tbh). And with the contestants being somewhat more seasoned than the previous seasons, the major improvement like in PD48 wouldn't be as viable so well the mentors are only there to critique and deliver confidence-shattering comments. I do wonder about the comments that didn't make it into the final cut though :whatr:

But yeah, overall, the mentors in this season are quite useless, not really helping the contestants get better, and even didn't intervene when Ito Miyu had a problem with her vocals as a result of over practicing the high note. Maybe MNet didn't allow them to so their story with that group wouldn't be spoiled, who knows

• Just look at the difference like Soyou

She is critical and points out mistakes on what they did right and wrong and correct them, and also encourage them and praise them if they do well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Teaching Chiyori how to sing and project better

External Content youtu.be

It's better than "oh you sing badly do you want to go home?"

• The season‘s mentors could be described as those rich people who say to poor people that they are only poor because they didn’t work hard enough. The same people get praise and all of the international contests are shown as thoughtless, lazy contestants

• The season‘s mentors could be described as those rich people who say to poor people that they are only poor because they didn’t work hard enough. The same people get praise and all of the international contests are shown as thoughtless, lazy contestants

Also, maybe they have but they don't air it on the show we wouldn't know, but Produce 48 shows Soyou and Hongki giving like actual vocal lessons. Like this is outside of the missions and all they really gave them lessons on how to sing better

Hongki teaching and training the Japanese girls who are prone to sing with a nasal tone, to sing less nasally. Not only that, he knows Japanese so he really helps to bridge the Japanese and Korean contestants together

• That’s why I purposely said in the OP that they are being shown like that. We do not know the rest. Even though some Chinese contestants said that they are basically doing not a lot. I also watched Produce48 and the overall tone of GirlsPlanet999 is quite different

• Yeah ofc but it’s so obvious that it hurts. Usually I am a trash tv fan but they are straight up mean with their editing.

maybe that's how they get their ratings up?

there's no such thing as bad publicity

the more they do this kind of thing the more it gets talked about and unless ratings somehow drops...why would Mnet change something that's been working????

• That’s why I purposely said in the OP that they are being shown like that. We do not know the rest. Even though some Chinese contestants said that they are basically doing not a lot. I also watched Produce48 and the overall tone of GirlsPlanet999 is quite different

I think it's because they cannot technically "rig" votes anymore, so they are using the trainers expression to portray who is good and who is bad to "rig our minds" instead. Like we have Dayeon literally getting praise for INHALING

• there's this one guy (idk his name whoops) who makes this really weird face every time one of the girls sings badly, it makes me laugh but it seems silly as I've only seen him give out like 1 bit of advice and the rest of the time he is cringing

Yeah like I do not even remember his voice. That other female vocal teacher is literally his female version

• Yass we love a mentor who is not only effectively constructive, but also supportive and not ready to put down others <3

• They barely do anything like they say: "Your voice is bad" well teach the poor girl how to do it.

They also appear on the rehearsals like if it was a special occasion or something. Other survival shows I've seen (from korea and outside of it) that's not normal? I really hope the excuse is Covid because otherwise I have no more words for Mnet

And then the poor girls had to do that party for them as if they knew each other. Even the MC has spent more time with the girls than the mentors

526d260695f1e6be7fc576a759a81ce9eccaa866.gifv8f41e2de19fd3e53503e1f9bbaecb661064e5000.gifv0a61d4ea7129206fb3db97ab12f606316444f603.gifv

I'm throwing you away for keeping me locked up

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!