Why is it still controversial to be a kpop fan outside Asia?

• There is a huge bias against kpop in the west. Have you read the articles the west put out about kpop in the last five years? Yea, most of it was far from favorable and some variation on "The dark side of Kpop". IMO, the taint of xenophobia, racism combined with other common biases against "boybands" mix together here to create a wave that has boxed up kpop - and its been very difficult to overcome.

• There is a huge bias against kpop in the west. Have you read the articles the west put out about kpop in the last five years? Yea, most of it was far from favorable and some variation on "The dark side of Kpop". IMO, the taint of xenophobia, racism combined with other common biases against "boybands" mix together here to create a wave that has boxed up kpop - and its been very difficult to overcome.

The "dark side of kpop" has been covered by outlets like Asian Boss and I don't suspect they did it out of racism and xenophobia. The whole world is not against you; most people just don't care about bg's and gg's.

• The "dark side of kpop" has been covered by outlets like Asian Boss and I don't suspect they did it out of racism and xenophobia. The whole world is not against you; most people just don't care about bg's and gg's.

Uh huh, thanks for trying to belittle my opinion by implying that I'm paranoid. Very nice, but my post stands. You can think whatever you want, but I have to live everyday with my Asian-looking face and know what I have experienced. That I see the taint of it in the west's perception of kpop is not without basis and as stated, is in my opinion. Please take your bully act and think about why you felt the need to respond like that, thanks.

• Uh huh, thanks for trying to belittle my opinion by implying that I'm paranoid. Very nice, but my post stands. You can think whatever you want, but I have to live everyday with my Asian-looking face and know what I have experienced. That I see the taint of it in the west's perception of kpop is not without basis and as stated, is in my opinion. Please take your bully act and think about why you felt the need to respond like that, thanks.

Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about kpop. I didn't realize the thread was about you.

• Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about kpop. I didn't realize the thread was about you.

Yikes :pepe-cringe:

Please either read it again or get your reading comprehension checked out before responding to me again. I was still talking about kpop and WHY I feel as I feel.

The "dark side of kpop" has been covered by outlets like Asian Boss and I don't suspect they did it out of racism and xenophobia. The whole world is not against you; most people just don't care about bg's and gg's.

Also hope you realize you were the one to try to make it about me.

:pepe-use-head:

• Still trying to make it about me, are we? Get back on topic and stop derailing. You can disagree with me, but attacking my opinion like that and continuing with that tone ain't it.

:pepewhat:

"attacking my opinion" it's called debating. You offer an argument, I offer a counter argument. Or maybe we all should fake agreement so no one feels bad.

• :pepewhat:

"attacking my opinion" it's called debating. You offer an argument, I offer a counter argument. Or maybe we all should fake agreement so no one feels bad.

Saying it like this...

... indeed sounds personal. If that's not what you meant, do better next time so it's clear. In fact you could have just left that entire sentence out.

• Saying it like this...

... indeed sounds personal. If that's not what you meant, do better next time so it's clear. In fact you could have just left that entire sentence out.

I replied this way because it's not the first time I see kpop stans paint their faves as victims who are held back because of racism, xenophobia, etc. When I said the world is not against you, I was speaking of your side: kpop stans and their faves. That's why I followed with "most people just don't care about bg's and gg's" because I think it's what it comes down to ultimately. When I talk about kpop with people around me, the issue they have is not that the members are Asian. I think they merely see bg's and gg's as an outdated concept. Does it mean they don't give a chance to a genre they could like at least a couple of songs of? Sure, but it happens with every genre. People don't listen to heavy metal, or jazz, or whatever, even though they could like some material from them.

• I replied this way because it's not the first time I see kpop stans paint their faves as victims who are held back because of racism, xenophobia, etc. When I said the world is not against you, I was speaking of your side: kpop stans and their faves. That's why I followed with "most people just don't care about bg's and gg's" because I think it's what it comes down to ultimately. When I talk about kpop with people around me, the issue they have is not that the members are Asian. I think they merely see bg's and gg's as an outdated concept. Does it mean they don't give a chance to a genre they could like at least a couple of songs of? Sure, but it happens with every genre. People don't listen to heavy metal, or jazz, or whatever, even though they could like some material from them.

Please re-read my post then.

There is a huge bias against kpop in the west. Have you read the articles the west put out about kpop in the last five years? Yea, most of it was far from favorable and some variation on "The dark side of Kpop". IMO, the taint of xenophobia, racism combined with other common biases against "boybands" mix together here to create a wave that has boxed up kpop - and its been very difficult to overcome.

I already mentioned the bias against boygroups. I think girl groups have a bit less bias, only because boybands also run into the "they're gay" stereotype and it's definitely meant in a negative way. Taint, by the way, means it's part of it, but not the biggest part. You may not think being Asian plays any factor. I disagree from life experience. I've been listening to kpop since the 2000s and I haven't exactly hidden it, so I've seen lots of reactions upfront. When I say I think it's tainted with xenophobia and racism, it's from two decades worth of reactions.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!