Did BTS change the way Westerner look at kpop?

• i'm not really a westerner so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

bts and blackpink have for sure done a lot to grow the popularity of kpop and it seems like people are somewhat open to kpop as a music genre, but not as a good community.

i think kpop would be accepted more if the fandom didn't have such a bad reputation. westerners criticising kpop would likely not critisise the music but would complain about the toxic stans they see on twitter. which i completely understand. they deserve to be scrutinised.

kpop would also be more popular in the west if it wasn't just bts and blackpink being the most popular there. because most other groups are only popular with kpop stans and korea. and if you were to ask a ordinary westerner if they knew a kpop group, they would either say bts or blackpink. if westerners were exposed more to other groups then kpop would be bigger there. like i said before, westerners don't hate kpop because of the music, they hate it because of the toxic stans.

bts have done a lot for kpop though, but not enough to gain the west's undivided love and attention. yet....

• Not really. It's gotten more fans but Kpop as a whole is still seen by noon fans and media as the usual pop music in some silly language that only teens care about as it was before. I mean it's not like you see every kpop group suddenly the same type of positive media attention as BTS.

• in my country & my neighbouring countries, BTS is the 1st & only kpop artist whose news came on our country's tv channel, only artist whose song Dynamite got played.

Dynamite is performed by celebrities, played on malls & the main thing is people are loving it....

The most important thing.. what we can't make people Understand with our own words, we can make them realize by some of BTS's quotes, lyrics...

I tried & got success...

Jungkook: To the world, you may be one. But to someone, you may be the whole world.

Seokjin: Your efforts are only for you to know. Your result will speak for you.

Artists who are talking about youth, Depression, love for Art, Love your ownself, motivation, inspiration through the lyrics of their music... Yeah it is The Bangtan Sonyeondan...

Facts!!!!!

• I only saw one article in our media about them, it was about the BLM donation, and people in the comments talked about how annoying kpop fans are, but nothing bad about them, praised them for donating. Made me sad, I'll admit.

• ...not kpop but bts themselves....i mean is their any kpop group invited to have a speech in UN or giving commencement message with former president's?..I'm shock actually knowing that..like i gotta give it to bts fans for being annoying af and shoving their faves to everyone's throat...lol

• More like the West is more aware of the existence of kpop. The media and the music industry here in the US for sure know more about it. But I think there is a divide between kpop as a whole and BTS. They know BTS is kpop, but they have grown so popular that they know they can/are competing with our biggest artists here. The rest of the kpop groups are lumped together under the kpop label.

I think the best way to describe it is that all groups, even BTS, all fall under the kpop umbrella (in the eyes of the media/music industry/and most GP here), and still carry that stereotyped image that westerners have of the genre. But BTS have grown so big and have somehow got out from under that umbrella that the west HAD to acknowledge and look at them in a different way. They are legit competition now, and beating some of the most popular artists here, so they have separated themselves from the kpop pack and viewed in a different way.

Edited 2 times, last by nm-tn ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!