Did BTS change the way Westerner look at kpop?

• Did BTS change the way Westerner look at kpop? 59

1. Yeh (33) 56%
    2. No (26) 44%

Army have always claim tat Westerner look dwn on kpop due to all the scandal created by 2nd gen mainly SM & YG n tey form the dark side of kpop.So haf BTS change the entire kpop scene or kpop still haf a long way in the Western world?

• Same here in Canada people can't stand it.

I literally get side eyed anytime I say anything good about kpop.

Stan twitter ruins everything I swear. It’s so toxic and not just in kpop literally everything: music fandoms, tv show fandoms, politics, etc.

ღ Sulli

• Not by the people, but by the media yes. Before BTS you wouldn't get any discussion about kpop groups but now kpop albums are being reviewed and rated, their concerts are being attended for article summaries, and their songs are being included in end-of-the-year lists. Maybe this might all be for clicks at the end of the day but BTS made the industry think it was worth it

• More and more people I know are getting interested in Kpop.

Some even have it in their playlists while they wouldn't identify as Kpop fans.

I'm glad we get something different from more of the same old same old that comes from the US.

Not saying there is no good music there, but a lot of the popular American artists are just meh to me.

• Most westerners don't know other kpop groups. Actually in 2021 it's time to say Army did pretty good job to get BTS out of kpop box. I'm not saying BTS is not kpop, I'm just saying "It's not kpop, just BTS" repeated over and over again worked pretty damn well for BTS and their fans.

• It's funny that people think that 'being taken seriously' was the only thing missing before BTS.

Without BTS, your faves will not be able to have an achievement without people (journalists, not your classic troll) mentioning how enslaved and mistreated they possibly were.

Even now, when your faves fuck up, you can always use BTS as a crutch and get them mentioned to deviate attention.

Maybe some GP still has misconceptions but the western industry and media are paying attention now, for sure. They are much more willing to share the spotlight. There is also a different topic to disscuss in your faves articles than merely 'Dark side of Kpop', journalists may mention BTS and usually is never anything negative. Even when media decides to attack, usually is only BTS receiving the heat.

You can't possibly want more.

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• I think in the Media and industry yes their perception is starting to change.

BTS is helping to create the change as alot of the critics/journalists write about the boy's credibility around producing/writing/being underground etc. Those things are always mentioned so I think it's helping and they are starting to be less dismissive of KPOP on a whole and helping to get rid of the ignorance around all groups being manufactured puppets etc.

As for the Western public on a whole...they will still be dismissive but they are recognising that BTS is now on par with their faves on the charts so they are def taking notice. Whether they embrace. Who cares.

• Also the question makes it sound like the job is done. It's a process and BTS has been and is a big contribution to this whether you wanna acknowledge or not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!