My Opinion On How You Like That Cultural Appropriation Controversy

• Disclaimer: This thread in no way or shape or form a way to hate on the idols/groups mentioned. Nor am I saying you don't have a right to be offended if you are a Hindu.

This thread is just a way for me to say the things I have learned throughout researching this and to educate people on things that they may not know know.

For those who don't know about the controversy. In the original HYLT music video a statue of the Hindu god Ganesh or Ganesha was seen placed on the ground. It was later removed from the video.

1593453701-1593446970-5yuh83o.jpg

This is widely considered as a Cultural Appropriation case but I disagree due to the circumstances Ganesha was shown in.

Ganesha or Ganesh is a hindu god that hindus worship that many people in India worship. But Indians are not the only ones that worship him. Thai people worship Ganesha too. Though Hinduism is a minority religion in Thailand, Buddhists worship Ganesha.

Ganesh in Thailand
    Although Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist nation, statues and shrines to Hindu deities are a common sight in the kingdom. Thai Buddhists routinely pay…
    www.thaizer.com

With an astonishing 95% of people in Thailand being Buddhist.

Now if you don't get what I am saying......I don't think it isn't CA because Ganesha was used in a scene were Lisa was present. Now if you don't get it. The main reason it was called CA is because she was using something that wasn't part of their culture but it technically is.

And considering that 95% of people in Thailand are Buddhist we can pretty much say that Lisa is a Buddhist too. But if that isn't enough.......

Lets look at Lisa original name. Pranpriya. Priya is actually a very common name for Hindus in Indian. And her name was Pranpriya.

Though it is made up of Thai words, those thai words have very similar meanings to Sanskrit(a language originated in India). Priya means dear/beloved in Sanskrit and Thai!

priya meaning - Google Search

But the thing is..names like these are very religious. For example, if you are Christian in India you would not have the name Priya because Priya is considered a "hindu name" and parents usually name their kids based of religious names.

Meaning there is a high chance that she is a Buddhist. Which also means.....well it isn't CA anymore. But there is one thing wrong. Ganesha was on the floor. And usually gods are placed above the floor.

Now it isn't a biggest sin that makes you deserve to be cancelled(many people sell deities on the floor). It is like that thing that you probably shouldn't do.

It is one of rules of Hinduism when praying for example, don't enter the praying room while you are on your period etc.

And here is something else I found...apparently Thais don't usually pray to Ganesha(they do for some occasions) but he are still important figures. https://theculturetrip.com/asi…tues-at-buddhist-temples/

Also Ganesha is actually a very popular deity that is placed outside the usual prayer room. Many people put the deity in their cars, wear a pic of him on their shirt etc.

Now here is where it gets complicated. Whether Lisa or YG(yg staff) put it. If it was Lisa herself decided that it should be in the mv then it can't be considered CA since it is part of her culture and frankly she has the right to do it and represent her culture in my opinion.

But if it was YG.....well tbh I don't know.

I don't know if it can be considered CA or not. Cause if a YG staff decided to do it then I don't know if they has the right to do it but then again they put it in Lisa's scene possible to represent her culture.

If it was YG staff or something then I guess it is up to other Hindus or/and people who worship Ganesha to decide whether it was CA or not.

Yeah, that is it for my tedtalk. I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Ganesha being worshipped in Thailand does not mean the Thai knows how to treat Ganesha properly.

Ganesha is a Hindu deity thus, the Hinduist has all the right to criticize.

As Ganesha is being worshipped in Thailand, Lisa herself 100% must know he was a Hindu deity. Should not it be a common sense that to use a foreign deity as exotic prop was not respectful?

Lisa now legal name is Lalisa, which is Thai-ized version of a Sanskrit name, Lalisha. And, her family name, Manobal, was combined from 2 Pali words, "mano (mind)" and "pala (to tend, to administrate)".

• Though I do disagree with some things thank you for sharing your opinion. I just wanted to share my opinion as a Hindu and like I said before you are free to criticize.

• cool cool. it was pretty nice learning about other cultures and their deities. thanks ArmyBlink.

i won't form an opinion though. i'll leave that to the hindu people, like you said. :pepecute:

out of service

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!