Something I noticed about Western boy & girl groups

• There seems to be much more ethnic diversity in girl groups than there are for boy groups

For girl groups there could be a mix of white, black, Latina, and other girls

Fifth Harmony had 1 Black, 3 Latino (2 being on the white side), and 1 Pacific Islander

Little Mix had 2 White, 1 Black, and 1 Middle Eastern

Danity Kane had 2 White, 2 Black, 1 Latina

Boysworld has 2 White, 1 Black, 1 Latina, 1 Asian

And then you got the boy groups. Which are White boy central. One Direction had a middle easterner, but even he was white passing during their early era

And then you had all black boy groups like Mindless Behavior

PrettyMuch is prob the only diverse Western BG I know

I wouldn’t say there’s anything objectively wrong with it, but it does make you wonder why

Edit: They weren’t boy groups, but to me they had the effect of boy groups so I’ll mention them. Magcon was all white, and the usual top TikTok boys who group together, also all white

The point is, I always wonder why the Western industries are more willing to push ethnic diversity for girl groups, but when it comes to boy groups it’s either practically or fully one race, with it mostly being white boy groups

• Could be that girl groups need to be marketable for every type of girl? So they can relate visually to one member and see themselves as them? But there's groups like Spice Girls, The Saturdays, Girls Aloud, The pussycat dolls that are mostly white so I think it depends, really.

• Zayn isn't middle eastern, he's south asian

• Why do you care so much about that? You sound crazy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!