Do (some) agencies intentionally get stans angry to boost engagement?

• YG is notorious for getting its artists' (particularly BP) stans angry. Stans tend to say that YG is lucky that BP is successful despite that, but what if they are successful in part because of that?

It is now well recognized that anger is the best emotion for increasing engagement (that's why social media has increased political division). A company wants its stans to be as engaged as possible to support their artists. Therefore, the angrier the stans are the better, at least up to the breaking point where stans drop the artist. This breaking point will be much higher if the anger is directed at the company, not the artist, so the company would try to keep the anger directed at them. Directing the anger at a competitor or their stans is a bad idea because that would get the competitor's stans angry and more engaged. The company taking the heat avoids this issue.

If this is the case, then the company would want to get the stans angry at them right before they start promotions for their artist for maximum effect. For example, when stans are expecting promotion for their artist, the company will promote one of their other artists in a way that seems unfair. This will get stans of both artists angry at the company. Two birds with one stone.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• YES! I feel SM has done this with ExoL, and took advantage of their loyalty to EXO, by depriving the fandom of actual content, so that the fandom is waiting with bated breath for more EXO news.

Its like Blackpink, but on a smaller scale.

• But in a cut throat kpop market it's a really bad strategy. For groups like blackpink or exo they have established their name and have a loyal stable fanbase.

For rookie groups from unknown companies it spells disaster. You need to get your idol everywhere cfs, collabs, varieties anything and everything. Favouritism and ill treatment may work for the short term to rack up anticipation and steadiness but eventually there's a possibility that fans might get sick of the cycle and move on to another group with good promotions and content.

Desbundar

• That dosn't work for a lot smaller companys cause shitty menagement and fucking their idol's mental health is often part of smaller agencies and often those companys than close down after a few years as you might saw by the rescently shut down of TS Entertainment after fucking up very hard

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• But in a cut throat kpop market it's a really bad strategy. For groups like blackpink or exo they have established their name and have a loyal stable fanbase.

For rookie groups from unknown companies it spells disaster. You need to get your idol everywhere cfs, collabs, varieties anything and everything. Favouritism and ill treatment may work for the short term to rack up anticipation and steadiness but eventually there's a possibility that fans might get sick of the cycle and move on to another group with good promotions and content.

That's why they would only target stans who are already invested. They just need to do something that would only get stans angry at the company, not casual fans. In my example, casual fans wouldn't get angry, they probably wouldn't even notice.

• Na...

You know what they say. Don't try to explain with malice what can be explained by stupidity. I don't think YG is smart in anyway, and I really think BP could fly higher if they were better managed. Making the stans angry is not the way you want to go.

• Na...

You know what they say. Don't try to explain with malice what can be explained by stupidity. I don't think YG is smart in anyway, and I really think BP could fly higher if they were better managed. Making the stans angry is not the way you want to go.

YG isn't a person, it's a company. They have at least a couple marketing professionals who manage promotions as their full time job. They are a big and famous company, so I doubt it's an easy job to get. It's not plausible that they are just 'stupid'.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!