Why Nekkoya (Pick Me) Is One Of My All Time Favorite Kpop Songs

• Why Nekkoya Is One Of My All Time Favorite Kpop Songs

When I think of songs that might become my all time favorites.

I usually would never think of a theme song to a reality show to be in the running.

It doesn't seem like such a commercial "gimmick" song should hold such power.

And yet....

Nekkoya haunts my dreams.

It both makes me immensely happy. Yet makes me sad.

There's a bittersweet essence to it.

In one sense it seems to be a straightforward "fluff piece". Poppy. Light. Energetic. Optimistic.

"Pick me!" This is the language of possibility.

There's a sense of one's dreams might come true.

A earnest belief that they will.

But....

In all things there must be balance.

The song also has an underlying melancholy. Just outside the edges.

Maybe not explicitly drawn.

But there nonetheless.

Despite this song being about wanting ones dreams to be "picked".

We all know reality does not always grant us our every dream.

Sometimes life does not deliver our most earnest hopes.

This underlying threat of reality on one's idealism of the possible, is even made manifest in the context of "Nekkoya".

Not all the girls on the show will (had) their dreams granted.

Yet they hope all the same.

Likewise, in our own lives. There is always the juxtaposition of ones hopes and dreams. Against the more realistic bounds of reality.

The triumph of those dreams you have been able to realize.

The melancholy of those you may have not reached and left behind.

And the hope we keep alive for new dreams.

"Pick me!" We say.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This version really brings out the melancholic undertones.

So beautiful.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I loved it!

Produce 48 was the first Produce I really, actively followed, not knowing what to expect, and this song pulled me in right from the start. I still consider it the best Produce theme song of them all ^^

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• This version really brings out the melancholic undertones.

So beautiful.

I really like the piano version as well as the original...

• External Content www.youtube.com

Look at these girls, this was before they even debuted, half of these girls were still under 18 ffs. Izone was a perfect Produce group...like PERFECT. If they had 7 years like a regular GG, they would be setting records like Twice.

• External Content www.youtube.com

Look at these girls, this was before they even debuted, half of these girls were still under 18 ffs. Izone was a perfect Produce group...like PERFECT. If they had 7 years like a regular GG, they would be setting records like Twice.

They really were a perfect group. What could have been.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!