Is child abuse normalised in society?

• I'm writing this essay about a social issue and I chose child abuse. But I'm dumb so I can't write and I need help. Anyways can y'all just rant about child abuse so I can get some inspiration? Thanks :pepe-back-away:

• Kind of.

Lots of different ethnicities have child abuse as a "normal" thing to teach children manners and what not to do but it's traumatic and instead of teaching your child you're just instilling fear into them which can stick with them until adulthood

You are my Celebrity

dac7ff0375c2e5330c459a780d3b4bd6f80ba7c8.gifv

• No? I mean I never really seen child abuse brought up and people shrug it off, it's a pretty open and shut case of its wrong.

The only time I've seen abuse of sorts validatd is hitting as a means of discipline which differs from people opinions especially with their up bringing. I was smacked on my leg if I did something really bad or dangerous (like hitting my sister with telephone lol) and that was teach me not be a shithead rather than purely to harm me.

• No? I mean I never really seen child abuse brought up and people shrug it off, it's a pretty open and shut case of its wrong.

The only time I've seen abuse of sorts validatd is hitting as a mwans of discipline which differs from people especially with up bringing. I was smacked on my leg if I did something really bad or dangerous (like hitting my sister with telephone lol) and that was teach me not be a shithead rather than purely to harm me

Yes that's what I mean. Not really being smacked on the leg (like in your case) but spanking, caning, slapping (really anything that would leave a mark), threatening and more harmful stuff. It seems like a lot of people dismiss it as discipline.

• Here, it kind of is. I remember my old irl friends were in disbelief when I said I was never hit by my parent/s in the past

some of the stuff I heard from them is pretty bad, getting hit with a belt and etc but most people here see it as 'discipline'.

• Kind of? In my culture it's normal to hit kids as a form to teach them right from wrong T___T It doesn't help at all it just teaches kids fear,anger, rebellion

Child abuse is gross in itself since children are defenseless and are unaware from the filth in this world, i just want to protect them all

reading this got me like-

your first line hits hard for me yikes

i mean, im dont consider myself a child abuse victim, i think hitting children is normal (even tho it shouldn't)

for example, i accidently crush my 3-4 year old brother's fingers when i was 11 and my mom legit beat me up

and then- fear, anger and rebellion. well.

ok idk what im typing anymore lol

• It used to be normalized during the communist period, but now, not really. Yes, some people use to still have the mindset that beating their child will discipline them and it's the only way they can fully understand their mistakes. There are parents who beat their children so they can study or stop hanging out with a group of ppl.

But it's far from being normalized, especially today when there are lots of "parenting" ideas where they hope to discipline their children by talking so other methods that don't imply hurting. Also, the ones that still have this communist mentality usually are criticized for their thinking and prefer to hide or stop doing it.

Maybe in your essay, you could analyze how the mentality changed over time.

• Another thing I wanna add is that I often get to hear things like ' Who knows where I would be right now if my parents didn't beat me up when I did something bad. I'd be living on the streets'( or be a criminal or things like that). Some adults seem convinced that they turned out to be what they consider a decent human being because their parents beat them when they were children so when they do the same to their children I imagine they justify it as ' it's for child's own good. It's pretty messed up because sometimes it isn't a just little spanking

Edited once, last by ekser ().

• Yes that's what I mean. Not really being smacked on the leg (like in your case) but spanking, caning, slapping (really anything that would leave a mark), threatening and more harmful stuff. It seems like a lot of people dismiss it as discipline.

In that case then like I said it differs from person to person. Some people think absolutely no hitting, some like my parents smacked me and nothing more, and some go full on with weapons and shit. Often it comes down to culture or simply my parents beat me so I will beat my kids. I have heard stories of friends whose parents beat them hard.

I had a friend whose dad literally got up and smacked him during a parent teacher evening at school because the teacher said his grades were very poor our teacher day there with a oh god what am I supposed to do look lol. Later he told us that it was common in his house and a smack was getting off light, he normally got hit with dad's shoes. He said he was used to it and felt it wasn't abuse but admitted was a bit excessive (though if I'm being honest the he was at times a dickhead in school and not surprised he was disciplined a lot at home where I assume he was worse).

• Another thing I wanna add is that I often get to hear things like ' Who knows where I would have been if my parents didn't beat me up when I did something bad. I'd be living on the streets'( or be a criminal or things like that). Some adults seem convinced that they turned out to be what they consider a decent human being because their parents beat them when they were children so when they do the same to their children I imagine they justify it as ' it's for child's own good. It's pretty messed up because sometimes it isn't a just little spanking

Yeah like when they say "My parents beat me as a kid and I turned out just fine"

Well you obviously didn't, seeing as you're trying to justify child abuse :sweatr:

• As a foster child, who kept being returned to her biological parents who were very unstable at the time because they "deserve to have their child in their possession". Yes, yes it is, and it is very overlooked most times. Many times people use the excuse of "my parents hit me and I am fine", which I strongly disagree with because no you are not fine, you are one of the people who never confronted their trauma and instead chose to continue the cycle of abuse.

I work really hard to educate people on the effects of abusing their kids and how it can lead to PTSD, like mine, and severe trust issues. Many still will not listen as "it is the way my parents did things and it worked" is still the mentality sadly for many. Not a lot of people are as progressive to get away from abuse as they should be.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• Yeah like when they say "My parents beat me as a kid and I turned out just fine"

Well you obviously didn't, seeing as you're trying to justify child abuse :sweatr:

exactly, they believe that it's the only way to discipline their children because it's the only way they (unfortunatey) experienced as children themselves

• Yeah like when they say "My parents beat me as a kid and I turned out just fine"

my mom beat me when i was 11 (probably cuz i didnt went through child abuse nevermind) and im fine, yeah i went through a rebellion phase when i was 12-14

explain more please

my mom doesnt support me being gay but we're still fine (somehow lmao she prob forgot)

• my mom beat me when i was 11 (probably cuz i didnt went through child abuse nevermind) and im fine, yeah i went through a rebellion phase when i was 12-14

explain more please

my mom doesnt support me being gay but we're still fine (somehow lmao she prob forgot)

I am sorry your parent is not accepting, parents are supposed to love, guide and help mold their children as good and non-toxic individuals. Not exert violence as a way to "discipline" followed by hatred when their children trust them enough to come out to them. <3

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

• my mom beat me when i was 11 (probably cuz i didnt went through child abuse nevermind) and im fine, yeah i went through a rebellion phase when i was 12-14

explain more please

There are a lot of people who try to justify physically punishing a child by saying that they personally "turned out fine". It shouldn't be that way because, regardless of your own experience, not everyone is the same as you and a parent should not have to resort to beating their child when they've done something wrong.

• yes, very much. parents justify physical abuse by passing it off as discipline. but it goes further than that. emotional and verbal abuse are much more frequent and i'd say more harmful. parents will take away anything from their child when they make a mistake, to the point of not allowing them to eat, wear their clothes, have privacy, communicate with the outside world, or travel anywhere. screaming at children and calling them names is way too common, honestly. parents will pass it off as being for the child's benefit because they want them to be successful later in life, but a lot of times this is just projection of their own failure.

parents push their own expectations on their children when it comes to religion, politics, sexuality, school, career, sports, etc to make up for their own failures. children are expected to do follow their parent's goals for them even after they're adults. when children start to develop their own beliefs, parents are often very restrictive because they want their child to have their beliefs. the 'i am the parent and you are the child' excuse is used as a weapon against a child's individuality. it's a way to say that the child's opinions and thoughts don't matter or aren't as important as the parents. there is still this idea that children should be seen and not heard.

religion is also used to justify abuse. parents will pull up verses that say children should be quiet and respect authority whenever a child is upset about how they're being treated, but ignore every verse that says not to be cruel or violent. or they'll say that their literal existence is a "sin" and then they'll go ahead and think they're doing some sort of good deed by beating or kicking out their lgbtq+ child...

• yes, very much. parents justify physical abuse by passing it off as discipline. but it goes further than that. emotional and verbal abuse are much more frequent and i'd say more harmful. parents will take away anything from their child when they make a mistake, to the point of not allowing them to eat, wear their clothes, have privacy, communicate with the outside world, or travel anywhere. screaming at children and calling them names is way too common, honestly. parents will pass it off as being for the child's benefit because they want them to be successful later in life, but a lot of times this is just projection of their own failure.

parents push their own expectations on their children when it comes to religion, politics, sexuality, school, career, sports, etc to make up for their own failures. children are expected to do follow their parent's goals for them even after they're adults. when children start to develop their own beliefs, parents are often very restrictive because they want their child to have their beliefs. the 'i am the parent and you are the child' excuse is used as a weapon against a child's individuality. it's a way to say that the child's opinions and thoughts don't matter or aren't as important as the parents. there is still this idea that children should be seen and not heard.

religion is also used to justify abuse. parents will pull up verses that say children should be quiet and respect authority whenever a child is upset about how they're being treated, but ignore every verse that says not to be cruel or violent. or they'll say that their literal existence is a "sin" and then they'll go ahead and think they're doing some sort of good deed by beating or kicking out their lgbtq+ child...

Sigh... I am sad to see you are going through that, I am sending hugs.

Hug GIFs | Tenor

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!