Billboard Japan 2021 Mid-Year Rankings for Artist, Hot 100 and Album

• bts supremacy. korean album and english song at that.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How did Niziu get so popular in Japan?

They were part of a popular reality show, also they have the support of many famous musicians and artists in Japan, they were really privileged, although, none of their songs has managed to be a hit as their debut song.

Also a large part of the twice fanbase changed to niziu, the peak of niziu coincides with the fall of twice

• They were part of a popular reality show, also they have the support of many famous musicians and artists in Japan, they were really privileged, although, none of their songs has managed to be a hit as their debut song.

Also a large part of the twice fanbase changed to niziu, the peak of niziu coincides with the fall of twice

I think your being disingenuous with the user who doesn't know JPOP like I know you do as we have both seen each other over there. Make You Happy only got to #2 on the Hot 100 and #2 in the downloads as well. Their other two releases one of which is part of this chart actually managed to reach #1 in the Hot 100 and Take a Picture was #1 for two weeks in a row. For Download songs NiziU's latest song reached #1 as well. So to say none of them have been be as big of a hit as their original song is not accurate. The only place were Make You Happy beat Take a Picture was on the longevity of the steaming as both songs got #1 for Steams as well. And that is almost a given because of Make You Happy was a digital release only and had no physical sales.

Also not sure about a lot of Twice fans switching over as none of the Twice fans that I have seen have actually stated that. Intstead NiziU's fan base consits of people who still like Twice and more of the GP specifically JC, and JKs.

• That's sad

They gave you a very over simplified answer. Here is a more detailed and long explanation.

They became popular because of two shows that ran parallel in Japan at the beginning of 2020. The first was Nizi Project on Hulu that started in January of 2020. They were to form a group that was "Like Twice but with all Japanese". The second was a variety show that reviews various things and does reactions and comments on them called Sukkiri on NHTV. On there the watched previous of the upcoming show for that week as it was weekly on Hulu. The show started out small but another factor happened that a lot of people were home bound because of Covid19. So people were watching TV a lot more and these two shows struck a nerve with the Japanese General Public. Even though the show started out slow it grew in Japan due to everyone being home and the stay at home moms and their children esp girls loved these girls. Other artests would then start commenting on the contestants on the show about how cute or hard working they were etc. There were about 23 at that time auditioning. World Wide very few people knew about them until JYP started putting the show on their youtube channel starting in about late Feb early March of last year. One girl in particular who was on the thumbnail at that time Nina Hillman, (JYP later changed it to himself :-D ), caught on and internationally the show basically blew up at that time. She probably did have the best audition too even if she did falter a bit later on in the show (yes she made the group). But anyways in Japan the show Nizi Project on Hulu was the number 1 show for about the first half of 2020. It would occasionally get moved to the #2 on Hulu (this is overall by the way) but then move right back to number 1. They were voted as the #1 thing on young female teenagers minds in the first part of 2020. Sony who manages them in Japan went all out for promotions and they were basically everywhere in Japan. They are now about a year old in the public eye so have lost some of the spark as the initial hype has faded a bit but they are still insanely popular in Japan in that everyone and I mean everyone knows about them in Japan.

Some Twice fans think they were created to replace Twice but a lot don't either. I fall into that camp. I think Twice still has those fans it is just taking them time to adjust to the new sound much like Korea is taking time to adjust to it. Internationally (western) their new sound is I think finding faster acceptance.

NiziU's success blindsided a lot of people me included and I started watching the show back in January with ripped content before JYP posted official releases and we thought the overall interest was low and we were all comparing it to SIXTEEN which also had low viewership. I think JYP was thinking of needing Twice to help promote the group in Japan but they just really blew up beyond any ones expectations. Originally we were all thinking maybe 30-80K physical sales, or 2 to 3 million first day views on youtube etc... No one expected what we got.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!